I think we SHOULD go back to school early. Everyone has to be exposed eventually. It is extremely likely that cases of COVID were circulating in Michigan schools before we were told anything about COVID and weeks before anything was locked down. A few kids in our schools were very sick with influenza like symptoms but they got better without seeing a doctor or going to the hospital. The rest did not catch it. Mortality rates nationwide for kids under 18 is extremely low. We let kids continue going to school every winter during influenza, this coming winter will be no exception and COVID is here to stay.

COVID probably will be at a low level during the summer months and reappear in the fall and winter again as air conditions change and people congregate inside again. People who don't have immunity now will be exposed again and have a chance to develop immunity again then. I hope we don't shut down society this fall when a few cases of COVID pop up again. The main reason to shutdown society when COVID activity arrived for the first time was not to prevent infections but to keep the PACE of the infection at a level that hospitals could handle. They needed to make sure enough medical staff stayed well and there was enough PPE. Unless we 100% isolated everyone in plastic bubbles with air purifiers, lockdown or stay at home orders do not prevent transmission but they prevent a huge spike in simultaneous transmission. Even the mandatory wear a mask order in MI gives false sense of security since they also remind us that the masks do not work. If the case rate is manageable from here on out then I hope we can allow normal society to go on and work on building the natural immunity that comes through living in a world of invisible viruses.

Hopefully this will be a reminder to those who haven't been too kind to their lungs or who live a lifestyle that likely will advance the cause of diabetes or heart disease will do their best to work towards healthier habits.