I've already asked Bill Cody about this and I'm sure I'll get a good answer, but I wanted to ask others on here there take. Here goes:

I have a trout pond with lots of trout that overflows into a larger warmwater pond. The larger pond is so much larger than the trout pond that the lower water temps of the inflowing trout pond do not cool it significantly.

Anyway there is no need to fertilize the warmwater pond as the enriched overflow from the trout pond keeps the warmwater pond quite green. All winter it has kept its green color even under the ice even though the trout pond was not flowing into it.

Today off the end of my pier in 48.5 degree water the secchi dish reading was 37.5 inches and the water is quite green. Isn't it early to have an algae bloom in such cold water? Should I start up my diffusers in this cold of water? Could the alage bloom get even more dense once the water warms up or will the diffuser counteract this? I believe i have read that less then 2 feet is not good in summer as the alage bloom could cause an oxygen depletion at night?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.