Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
4 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic), 831 guests, and 192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Silly question but here goes. Am just starting to see green floating algae on my pond for the 1st time only on a small windblown shore in my 2 acre pond. pond is 2 years old with no aireation. I read overfeeding is a big cause of algae growth from overfertilizing or over nutriants in the water. I feed 100 pounds of feed a month on this 2 acres. The fish eat everything I throw at them in less than one minute so in that sense I am not "overfeeding". Texas hunter feeder goes off twice a day every day. Visibility is 21 inch on secchi disc. Is the "overfeeding" problem from all the fish waist that is causing algae problems? Do I need to cut back on the feed to cut back on nutriants at risk of the fish not gaining weight? At this point I am extremely cnbg heavy in the pond having just stocked fingerling bass a few months ago. Any suggestions?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
P
P
Maybe Mr Bill Cody will see this. Can you post good closeup pix for him to see?

A
Online Content
A
Flame, you are feeding more heavily than I do (100 to 150 lb per month in 7 acres). However, your feed schedule doesn't seem all that excessive in and of itself, in my nonexpert opinion.

You didn't mention the type of feed, but if you are using Optimal then there is less waste and thus less chance of excess fertility issues.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
T
Flame, from what I have seen recently I will say that feeding has caused a bloom and or algae. My sediment pond has and is producing algae blooms from feeding fhm's. Not enough fh's in there to fertilize from their poop or at least I don't think it was caused by poop. A side note is the sediment pond was built to reduce sand deposits into big pond from heavy rains. Sediment pond has an overflow that runs into the big pond, and will move the food fertilized water to the big pond in rain events. And now when everything takes place as it was setup, it now causes a bloom in the big pond and I don't need the algae in the big pond, it already has enough from nutrients. Dammed if u do and dammed if u don't scenario. I wondered the same question as u, in a feeder area that is loaded with cnbg, that area has greener water from heavy feeding or some heavy pooping. I pinched back feeding by 1/3rd but not sure if anything will change in that area other than some of the fish might move t another feeder eventually.

Tracy

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 09/17/16 05:19 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I think feeding absolutely contributes to algae growth, either directly or indirectly.(as fish waste). It's really no different than any other livestock farming in my opinion. The more cattle you keep in the barn, the more frequently you need to clean the stalls. If the goal is trophy bass, and you follow the prescribed recommendation of stocking bluegills at a rate where you can "walk across the pond without getting your feet wet", AND you're feeding that forage, there is a possibility of excess nutrients.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
S
S
You have already got a lot of good responses Flame and the only thing I can add is that flow through I believe also makes a difference.

In my pond if we have a relative dry year where the water recedes from evaporation the nutrients are concentrated and I believe I have more problems in that situation. This year we have had numerous large rain events where a lot of water runs out the overflow and the water is staying a lot better looking.

Of course that flow through water also can be loaded with nutrients or not so much so. If we have a big rain event in late spring after fertilizer has been applied on ag ground, there is likely quite a bit of nutrients in the runoff. Phosphorous in ag fertilizer is generally considered stable and once attached to soil particles becomes immobile (unless of course the soil itself washes into the pond, in which case the P2O5 is also there). But there is a very small percentage that is water soluble and can move with the water. Nitrogen comes in different forms and the soil naturally turns organic matter into nitrogen through biologic activity. So at any particular time there could be little N moved with the water or a lot.

So flow through water could be helping with reducing nutrients or also could be adding, just depends. But generally speaking my water stays a lot better looking when I have some regular flow through.

No specific answers to your question. Just my observations as I am learning just like you.

Last edited by snrub; 09/17/16 08:37 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
D
We see the same thing as you Flame when we have a south wind. This year we has three weeks of the south wind in a row and got the FA showing up on the shore to the north of the feeder.

The nature of the beast I guess. We check our pond every night most of the time. At most we will miss one or two days in a row. Watching what gos on helps the most.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I agree with what everyone before me has already stated. The fish need clean water. I think you can feed more heavily when you are getting flow through in the spring than you can in the hot stagnant summer months. When you quit getting rain and it gets hot you should consider cutting back on your feed. Hot water carries less oxygen and when you are feeding the fish the bacteria require oxygen to digest the fish poop. without any aeration, during the hot summer months, you can have a fish kill due to low dissolved oxygen caused by excess nutrients. an aeration system can allow you to push the system but when you are feeding in the hot summer it's always a risk.

S
S
I agree.

One thing in my area is for sure. We definitely have the flow through right now. We needed it but this much is a little crazy. We had not had water run over the overflow for I can't remember how long. Probably last fall or maybe even last summer. Had a very dry winter and early spring. Algae looked like was going to be a problem this year. Not so much so now. I suspect the whole pond has turned over at least once in the last two weeks if not twice.

My water will stay good quality till mid summer with the rains and flow through we have right now.

Edit: I probably exaggerated. Having thought about it, had the pond been bone dry the current rains I would guess have maybe filled it 2/3 full. So that would be less than one whole water exchange assuming all the old water went out and none of the new. So likely I still have some of the original nutrients, but still not as many as before......... and the rain is not finished yet.

Last edited by snrub; 04/30/17 12:39 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I decreased food to #50 lb. a month but am now back to #50 every 21 days or about #67 pounds a month. Everything seems to be ok this spring but still no aeriation. I will be adding bottom air in June before it gets too hot.I am still about a foot low also. Secchi dish read 18 inch yesterday before we got 2 inch rain last night.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
J
J
Flow through definitely helps, if the water added is infertile. Most of last summer I kept my CC/BG/RES pond fairly full by pumping from our creek. After the pond dropped a few inches I would pump it back up. The creek is usually very clear and fed from seeps and springs when it's low, so I get good quality, well oxygenated water. I think it definitely helped, as I was feeding those CC to satiation most days. When I get a big rain, the pond stays fairly clear, and I cannot see visible sediment in the ditch coming in through the hayfield. We don't fertilize the part of the hayfield immediately above the pond.

Last edited by John F; 04/30/17 11:53 AM.
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
John I agree with what you are doing keeping that clean water coming in from the creek will definitely help improve the water quality

T
T
Since you brought it up, I was looking far a pump on the net last evening. Not sure what type of pump to get yet! I was thinking a trailer mounted pump with a larger fuel tank so it would run for 24 hrs at a time and pump some 130 gpm or more. I have one bayou and one smaller drain that can also hold some good amount of water to pump from. The bayou is some 500 yds away or so and I will need a pump that can move the water at least that far. So a diaphragm trash pump might be the way but still looking. Thoughts guys?

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
R
R
Interesting. Has anyone uses pondclear as added beneficial bacteria? I am wondering what else do you use?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images