Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I have recently have aquired a series of ponds varing in size from 5 to 40 acres. The ponds extremely clear and will benifit form fertilization. However, there pH is around 6.2, and alkalinity is low. The ponds are essentially "pits" from previous gravel mining. There water source is completely rain dependent. waterfall turn over is entirely weather dependent (wet/dry cycles). I also realize that fetilization without balanced pH, is a waste.

What I haven't figured out is a practical means of application of lime, there are plenty of open water areas, with relatively small shore access due to plantation pines. I've contacted the local fisheries biologist and she reccomended shoveling the lime off a piece of plywood on a jon boat. Fourty tons or more of lime ??? There has to be a better way. Pond depth varies from three feet to fifteen. Moss type grass on the bottom, and abundance of lilly pads in shallow shoreline and backwater areas. Fair population of bass and brim, which needs to be culled. Short of a crop duster, any suggeations, thanks.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
choch2odog,

Here is a suggestion that works for me. Buy ag. lime in bulk quantities...I buy 25 tons at a time...and have it spread by a truck properly outfited for that purpose. Run the spreader truck up to and all around the shoreline placing lime in the pond and in the drainage to the pond.

If you have a feed store and/or coop nearby you can usually find someone who handles pasture liming which you are adapting to your pond. This method is very effective for me....lasts at least 5 years. My ponds are all at about 135 total alkalinity and total hardness and 7.5 ph. The ponds are in East Texas which has very high acid content in the soils and lots of pine trees.

The cost for me this year for spread lime was about $35 per ton. I doubt you will find anything comparable to that cost from the folks who use boats and plywood and pumps and etc.

If this post isn't clear or you have any questions re this technique, do not hesitate to ask. I have found it to be by far the most cost effective and reliable method to accomplish what you are after.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Unfortunately, there is no way to get anything wider than a bicycle around the two main ponds. I realize I could cut the timber,but would prefer to wait 5 to 10 yrs for maturation.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
This can be hired out with folks who use liming barge. Call me if you want price. As mentioned by ML a good method is spreader truck. Only problem is you have to be able to drive to several places around the pond. If you can ask for spreader truck that runs off PTO this allows the truck to backup to pond shore and shot it out instead of having to drive around keeping the drive shaft moving. This lime then hits the water and really spreads. Good Luck you are right with low alk fertilization is a waste.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I thought I would add to an older thread, instead of adding a new one with a similar title. I hope that's okay?"

I'm in East Texas, too, near Cleveland, with this 20 acre lake that is a PH of about 6.0 and 10 PPM Alkalinity.. We're looking into liming and fertilizing, but, in their minds, they have me out there with a Jon boat, plywood, and a shovel. Another idea is a PTO pump on one of the small Kubota tractors, but this gets us into creating a slurry and still has me out in a boat with a hose strapped to my...

Meadowlark, who did this for you at $35.00 a ton? Did the same folks also have a good price on the lime?

How far out can one of these PTO pump truck throw the lime out there? We can get to about 70% of the shoreline, but it's still a long way across.

I see agricultural lime and dolomite lime can be used? What the heck is the difference and why would I want one over the other?

Thanks in advance to all who reply...

--Kevin Mc
It's not about the stomach. It's about the fish. Take care of the fish and the stomach will be fine.
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I thought I would add to an older thread, instead of adding a new one with a similar title. I hope that's okay?"

I'm in East Texas, too, near Cleveland, with this 20 acre lake that is a PH of about 6.0 and 10 PPM Alkalinity.. We're looking into liming and fertilizing, but, in their minds, they have me out there with a Jon boat, plywood, and a shovel. Another idea is a PTO pump on one of the small Kubota tractors, but this gets us into creating a slurry and still has me out in a boat with a hose strapped to my...

How far out can one of these PTO pump truck throw the lime out there? We can get to about 70% of the shoreline, but it's still a long way across.

I see agricultural lime and dolomite lime can be used? What the heck is the difference and why would I want one over the other?

Meadowlark, who did this for you at $35.00 a ton? Did the same folks also have a good price on the lime?

Thanks in advance to all who reply...

--Kevin Mc
It's not about the stomach. It's about the fish. Take care of the fish and the stomach will be fine.
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
BigMac :

Local Co-ops will provide ag lime and put it in the pond by spreader truck. It must be dry around the pond edge. These are dump type trucks with a spreader on the back. They disperse in a half circle about 50 ft out into the pond. If you can get to about 6 different locations around the pond and have the truck disperse you should be ok. It takes time for the max alka. to be obtained. With the numbers you provided you will likely need 2 tons per acre to start with. You can have it hired out and they will put it in by barge. Have you had the pond soil tested for this. Here is the Texas link.

Texas
Texas A&M Soil, Water, and Forage Testing Laboratory
345 Heep Center, College Station, TX 77843
(979) 845-4816
http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/webpages/maps.html
Soil test cost: $10.
Includes: pH, N, P, K, Ca, Mg, salinity, Na and S.
To submit sample: Mail to above address.
Common regional problems: None to report.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I just talked to the NRCS about soil testing for liming. They told me to get a five gallon bucket and test from multiple areas. Stir all of the samples and dig out a pint, put it in a good baggie, and send it to A & M.

If you have real concerns about a specific area, send it as a separate sample.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Thanks guys! 50'? Will it float a long way out on the water, before settling to the bottom? Is it important to cover the entire bottom, somewhat evenly?

Man, every time I see that "Meadowlark" handle I think of the Harlem Globe Trotters. The bird tastes much like Quail.

--Kevin Mc
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
BigMac :

When put in that way lime will dissolve a little but mostly sink. The part that dissolves will mix in the water with wind/waves. It is good to put some in at the point where water comes into the pond. It will wash to deeper water some what. It is good to cover as much of the bottom as you can but not critical if you can get it to multiple locations. What we do is have most of it spread and have a little dumped. The dumped part is put out by boat with plywood as you noted above over time.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
 Quote:
Originally posted by bigmac:
Man, every time I see that "Meadowlark" handle I think of the Harlem Globe Trotters. The bird tastes much like Quail.
Bigmac,

I think that many that see that handle think other things much worse than the GlobeTrotters. \:D

Actually it is the name of our "Ranch" up north of Livingston. I'm sorry I haven't answered your questions...I didn't see them until just now. I haven't been here much lately and haven't posted anything in a couple of months.

I buy all my fertilizers and lime from Groveton Mill, located in Groveton Texas. I kind of doubt that they will travel that far to your place, but it doesn't hurt to try. The $35 per ton I quoted was the total price, delivered and spread. I suspect that has gone up a good bit because of fuel costs this year. I haven't priced it yet this year but will probably take an order in June.

How far does it spread the lime? Actually a surprising distance. I'm going to guess at least 25 feet in every direction, maybe more. If you are standing beside it, you will be sand-blasted.

Why ag. lime vs dolomite? Because ag. lime is proven to work, is readily available, and very cost efficient when purchased and spread in the manner I recommend. It will last you at least 5 years.

I can get you the phone number for those folks in Groveton this weekend, assuming you are still interested and I haven't been banned from the Forum yet. \:\)

Dang, Bigmac, it's been fun for me to write a response again. I hope you have as much fun reading it as I did writing it.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Yes, thanks. The private small lake/big pond I'm referring to is actually not far from Coldspring, near the Livingston Lake dam, but you know that saying about "a country mile", right? Sure I'd like to have the phone number for Groveton Mill. Even if they won't come this far south, they might know who will do it close to me.

--Kevin Mc
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
If anyone else knows of another source in the area, please feel free to speak up. I'm trying to get this going, before the folks in the lake association find some place else to use the funds.

--Kevin Mc
H
H
It is necessary to put 100 tons of lime into my 13.5 acre lake every 4-5 years. I quickly realized that the jon boat and plywood method is about on the same fun level as driving nails into your noggin. Most of my shoreline is, like yours, inaccessible. The ideal solution, as Greg Grimes suggests, is to turn the job over to a pond management company with a liming barge. The cost is very reasonable, the only requirement is a road and a single firm access point which can handle the dump trucks and loader. The second best thing about it is that the lime is evenly spread over the pond bottom. The most bestest thing is not loading and shoveling lime by hand. Besides, it’s kind of fun to watch the operation.

The last time, though, I got a sudden attack of the d.a.’s and had them spread around a good bit of the lime at the landing to make a “beach.” Not recommended! That stuff turned into mush with the first rain and into gullied rock after a month or so. Duh!
Lou

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Lou good to see you posting. I sure agree with you that spreading lime by hand/boat as mentioned above is a very tough job even if it is only a few tons. Having the lime barged by others is great if affordable . Having the truck shoot it into the pond is next best and by shovel is the worst. Great point about not putting it where you will walk in it whether in the pond or at the edge.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Good information on the options, do's and don'ts. Thanks!

According to what I'm reading the time to lime is November thru January. Are there any downsides to liming this time of the year? I'm wondering if it might create havoc on the fry and the fish that are still spawning?

--Kevin Mc
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
bigmac,

I've had the same concerns and have done it both in the fall and spring. In the spring application, I didn't see any adverse impact to the spawning at all...but that is not to say it can't happen. I think the sooner you get it in the water, the sooner you will get the benefits. Remember to follow soil/water test recommendations as too much of a good thing is not a good thing.

Get cost estimates for the various options that are being offered. You will be surprised at how cost effective the spreader option turns out to be...if it is available to you.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
bigmac,

Number for Groveton Mill...936-642-1622...at least it was the number the last time I called.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Thanks and I will. The 7th thru the 9th, I hope to finally get these Porcupine spheres all sunk. I'll take pictures.

--Kevin Mc

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails