Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dave Davidson1), 755 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#266179 07/28/11 11:02 PM
F
fishm_n Offline OP
OP Offline
F
A friend has a dam. Built three years ago. has at least 2 dams up the drainage from it. It is also more than a mile from the dam to the top of the drainage, and the over flow from the well goes into the dam. it gets plenty of water.

it is about a 1/4 surfaceacre and he boasts 30 ft deep, id believe 25 ft.

we have put 400 male 3" perch, 50 adult bluegill, 25 adult bass includeing some 4-5 ponders, 18 adult walleye, and 10 smallmaouth bass, in the first years. along with a few gallons of fhm right off the bat.

The walleye had a spawn, but not as well as the bass did. The perch have not (may need to add some females)and we have caught no you BG yet.

But we do catch a lot of GSF and BH!!! Grrrr..

He seems to like the GSF and can not distinguish them from bluegill. But the bull head are annouying.

What are your opinions.

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
fishm_n #266180 07/28/11 11:12 PM
F
fishm_n Offline OP
OP Offline
F
ok, now that we have your opions with out my questions, I will ask a few.

Obviosly to kill off all three dams may bee the best choice. But he will not want to do that, how could I talk him in to it.

Second, if we do that, there are some real trophies in his dam now, how could we preserve them? There are large walley, and one bass that makes your jaw drop, and I have not seen the blue gill for my self yet but he says tey are socer plate.

Despite all that, with the constant inlow of water from the well, would that help incourage the walleye to spawn as they did once the dam was newer and not so mossed up, Would it help if we put gravel infront of that small amout of incomeing water, and how could we keep the weeds out of it??

OK JHAP,, how do you grow trophie GSF, I hear nothing swimms up stream like a little greenie, so we are probly doomed to have them....

and again bull head, no way to irradicate them??
Set lines??
Do they like stink as much as catfish.

There are a lot of cattails so catching the young may be diffacult.

I am thinking of making one of those snow fence PVC traps I saw on the Crappie Mistake post ond them sort though the catch.

We have thrown out minnow trapps before with no luck.

oh-ya, the bass are reproduceing nicely too. and they are not on the skinny side yet, but are not the biggest I have seen.

Do catfish like to eat bullhead??

Thanks guys, I know I am asking alot.

fishm_n #266212 07/29/11 11:10 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
GSF don't do well with BG. They don't seem to be able to compete with the reproduction rate that BG are capable of sustaining. Your friend should be congratulated for liking GSF, this demonstrates that he is a man of impeccable character and above average intelligence.

I'm certainly no expert, just an idiot with a keyboard (JAIWAK), but it seems to me like you have a huge variety of species (perch - do you mean real perch like yellow perch?, GSF, BG, WE, adult bass (I'm assuming you mean LMB), SMB, bullhead. Sounds like a recipe for disaster in a 1/4 acre pond.

Given that you are in SD, I'd like to hear some feedback from Dr. Dave, Wild Bill and any other experts.

Spurts?

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
F
fishm_n Offline OP
OP Offline
F
his 6 and 4 year old boys like the varieties.

fishm_n #266766 08/04/11 01:09 AM
F
fishm_n Offline OP
OP Offline
F
did I ask too many questions at once and scare everybody opinion off??

fishm_n #266776 08/04/11 07:37 AM
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Re: bullhead. Yes, catfish love them. They can generally be easily controlled if you have a nice population of predators, be it LMB or CC.

So your walleye spawned huh? Can you tell us more about that?

fishm_n #266787 08/04/11 10:07 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: fishm_n
ok, now that we have your opions with out my questions, I will ask a few.

Obviosly to kill off all three dams may bee the best choice. But he will not want to do that, how could I talk him in to it.

Second, if we do that, there are some real trophies in his dam now, how could we preserve them? There are large walley, and one bass that makes your jaw drop, and I have not seen the blue gill for my self yet but he says tey are socer plate.

The only way to keep the fish is to take them out when the pond is drained down for renovation. That usually means draining ALL the water out and catching them by hand, or draining enough of the water out so you can seine the pond, taking out the specimens that you want to keep. You would have to have another pond to hold them in until the renovations are completed, then re-introduce them to the "new" pond.

Despite all that, with the constant inlow of water from the well, would that help incourage the walleye to spawn as they did once the dam was newer and not so mossed up, Would it help if we put gravel infront of that small amout of incomeing water, and how could we keep the weeds out of it??

WE traditionally don't do well in a pond, and are usually viewed as a "put and take" fishery. I'd put the gravel in the flowing water, but the water has to be the correct temp for them to want to use it for spawning. The only way to keep the weeds and moss out is by chemical or mechanical means. If mechanical is used, be careful that the weeds aren't the type that spread from broken sections of weed. Algae "moss" is almost impossible to control in flowing water unless you can stop the flow for a period of time to let the algacide work.

OK JHAP,, how do you grow trophie GSF, I hear nothing swimms up stream like a little greenie, so we are probly doomed to have them....

and again bull head, no way to irradicate them??
Set lines??
Do they like stink as much as catfish.

You can catch bullheads with set lines, I have not had much luck catching them with stink baits. I've had better luck using nightcrawlers, and small pieces of cut bait, and liver. The only way to eradicate them is to drain and kill the pond. A high concentration of LMB will prey on the YOY, but you still have to get the adults out of there, and the LMB will prey on a lot of other fish in the pond too. It's like shooting a crow in the middle of your flock of chickens with a shotgun. You probably will get the crow, but you'll have a lot of dead chickens as well. You can't tell a LMB "just eat the bullheads and nothing else."

There are a lot of cattails so catching the young may be diffacult.

I am thinking of making one of those snow fence PVC traps I saw on the Crappie Mistake post ond them sort though the catch.

That will help. You can also buy catfish traps from places like Memphis Net and Twine.

We have thrown out minnow trapps before with no luck.

oh-ya, the bass are reproduceing nicely too. and they are not on the skinny side yet, but are not the biggest I have seen.

Do catfish like to eat bullhead??

The catfish don't have a large mouth, so the fish has to be a lot larger in size. I wouldn't count on them to be as a large of a predator on BH as LMB.

Thanks guys, I know I am asking alot.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #266896 08/04/11 09:44 PM
F
fishm_n Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks for the feed back guys, really apprittiate it!!

The walleye were livewell stocked from a local lake that has naturally producing walleye. about ten of them over 18 inches and five or so at 10 inches.

The walleye where put in the summer the dam was finished with the bottom being red clay and some rock, and there being large rock on the face. Not much moss or pond weed grew for the first few years and the water was very very clear. Now the pond has a lot more growth and only has a visiability of four foot or so instead of 10 +.

Last summer, I caught 2 walleye at 8 inches, perfect specamens no flaws or missshape at all, and no one has caught a small one since. But the dam is only 3 or 4 summers old.

Ill let you know on how the attempting to breed them goes, and about the bull head anialation.

going to make some traps, big traps.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails