Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
mfajoni Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I Have been actively managing my established pond for three plus years, primarily by removing the smaller stock, which are gradually increasing in size. Most all fish are well into the 95th percentile or higher and I have a nice blue gill population. The pond is about three and half acres with what amounts to a 5-6 acre shoreline because of design and numerous peninsulas. I can pretty well fish the pond from the banks. My question. I have caught four bass over 5 lbs.in he past four days and I am uncertain as to whether I should start removing some of them. In a perfect world, I would like to see more 2-3 pounders and less 5+. I am content with the smaller fish as they make great eating.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
What are your management goals for the pond? i.e. do you want large BG, large LMB, or ?

What are the other fish in the pond?

Just out of curosity, is it aerated, and are you supplementally feeding the fish?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
mfajoni Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I would like a nice population of 1 1/2-2 pounders. My fish population is LMG and BG. My wife and I do like to catch a nice mess of BG a couple of times a year when they are schooled up, but I fish primarily LMG. I depend on wave action and a flow well for aeration and do not wish anything more. We do feed the BG by "hand". It seems to me I should continue to remove the smaller fish, plus take out about half of everything over say, four pounds, subscribing to the theory that my pond can hold so much poundage and to some degree I can control this by removing the two extremes of my ideal. Thanks, Michael

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you want 1.5 to 2 pound bass, I would remove the 5 pound bass.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Your 1.5-2lb LMB will be feeding on your "smaller" stock but I doubt your removing enough to put any kind of dent in them.. If you want 1.5-2lb LMB you have to manage the LMB more than the BG..

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I agree, if you want a higher population of smaller LMB, and larger BG, take out the larger LMB.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
mfajoni Offline OP
OP Offline
M
What do you mean by managing the LMB more than the BG. My BG catch is insignificant. I think the right choice is to continue removing the small bass and say 50% of the 5 pounders. I am asking??

F
F
Out of curiosity, I have a question that goes along with what mfajoni wants as a end result.

If he takes out the 5# LMB, that leaves the large BG to spawn to feed the LMB. He likes to harvest the 1.5 to 2 lb LMB. So, by doing that, does he need to take out any LMB under 1.5 lbs?

My thinking would be that those little LMB will easily grow out bigger because of harvesting the size above them.

Last edited by fish n chips; 07/04/13 08:10 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ill tell you what you do for just what you want.. Never harvest a male BG over 8 inches unless its sick or unhealthy looking, remove every female you catc for your mess's . Remove all bass over 20-22 inches, this is kinda the plan I follow for my pond and its stocked full of 1-1.5lb LMB (I actually never remove a LMB). I do have the occasional large LMB but its usually skinny.. My pond is also loaded with 1-1.5lb trophy BG. I also feed ALOT and have HSB for a fun fish.. This is just a opinion that has worked great for my pond.. Some might not agree.. BUT IT WORKS FOR ME smile good luck

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
Out of curiosity, I have a question that goes along with what mfajoni wants as a end result.

If he takes out the 5# LMB, that leaves the large BG to spawn to feed the LMB. He likes to harvest the 1.5 to 2 lb LMB. So, by doing that, does he need to take out any LMB under 1.5 lbs?

My thinking would be that those little LMB will easily grow out bigger because of harvesting the size above them.

I'd say no on anything smaller there gonna keep his young BG in check and be his 1.5-2lbrs when they grow..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

F
F
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Ill tell you what you do for just what you want.. Never harvest a male BG over 8 inches unless its sick or unhealthy looking, remove every female you catc for your mess's . Remove all bass over 20-22 inches, this is kinda the plan I follow for my pond and its stocked full of 1-1.5lb LMB (I actually never remove a LMB). I do have the occasional large LMB but its usually skinny.. My pond is also loaded with 1-1.5lb trophy BG. I also feed ALOT and have HSB for a fun fish.. This is just a opinion that has worked great for my pond.. Some might not agree.. BUT IT WORKS FOR ME smile good luck

Hey BGK, again a curiosity question. Your LMB that are in the 1.5 lb range, what would you say their body condition is? If you wanted to harvest the LMB that size, I would think that a pond owner would want them plump.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Majority are skinny.. But still 1-5-2lb so definately fighters and good eaters.. Also they've became alot skinnier since adding the HSB so his might be more plump..

What I don't know about the equation is if he starts removing those those 1.5-2lbrs the whole balance could throw off..

Last edited by Bluegillerkiller; 07/04/13 09:05 PM.

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

M
mfajoni Offline OP
OP Offline
M
JUST POSTED THIS TO CJBS2003, thinking I was posting to all. Sorry. Appreciate any comments.

Okay. Here's the deal. I have been taking out and evaluating the large bass. Took out a 6 lb.8oz. this morning. My brother took out a 5lb.4oz. yesterday. I took out a 5+ pounder at the beginning of the week. See my post on "Take the big ones out", to which you responded, to get an idea of the pond.

My smaller fish are well into the 95th to 105th percentile. These large fish are falling well short of that, as in the 80-85th percentile. No. 1 is this common and #2 is this normal.

I'm not sure what's going on, but is common for me or my brother to land 5 pounders in a pond my size? I'm trying to ween the big ones and have more medium bass and catch more of my true love, respectable blue gill. I have salt water fished in La. my entire adult life and my joy is in managing my resource and not catching big fish that are not at their potential. Please comment if you would.

Michael

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??