Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jimmyt Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
I have bought a farm with a 2 acre pond on it about 1 1/2 years ago. The farm has a house on it that I rent out to some folks sort of in a caretaker status. My question is how much fishing can the pond handle without getting to the point that it is difficult to catch fish. The renter fishes it quite a bit, but keeps only the cc which I want removed. He throws back everything else. ANother fellow who works for me on the farm fishes a good bit also and I have noticed a few friends of theirs fishing there also. I get to fish there maybe once a week. Without being a hard ass, how many folks can fish there without getting the fish "gun shy?" I know this is a rather nebulous question,but whatever help you can give canhelp. jimmyt

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
jimmyt:

What fish are in the pond, and what are you fishing for? Personally, I've noticed in my pond, that the CC wise up the quickest, followed by LMB and BG.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
JT-

It depends on how many fish you've got, what kind they are, the skill of those who are fishing it, how easy the pond is to fish [shoreline access, depth, islands,etc] and how you define good fishing. As a generalization, however, the fish in a two acre pond can be educated very quickly by fairly intensive fishing....I'd value the opinions of someone like Nate who manages a lot of bodies of water around this size.

How's that for a totally nebulous response, which could have been distilled to "it all depends"?

Lunker
Lunker
jimmy, keep track of your hours fished and the number/type of fish you catch. You may well be able to see any drop in Catch per Unit Effort (CPUE) resulting from overfishing.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I'd say your fishing is gonna get real tough with that many guys fishing a 2 acre pond. Anything much under 5 acres and it can be hammered real quick. The bass will get darn smart fast! I have seen it happen many a times... A new water supply reservoir which was closed to fishing for the first 4 years after it reached full pool was finally opened up last year. The reservoir is 400 plus acres. The first couple months after opening you could catch 100 plus bass in a day with many in the 18"-2-" range. By fall of the first year the numbers were down to 20. Now, you work just as hard as any other lake... The bass got darn smart fast! The reservoir is a fee fish place, so it doesn't get hammered as hard as others as well. I doubt it sees the acre hours of fishing your pond is getting...

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I'm with Yolk. A two-acre pond is a decent-sized pond...until you get the number of people fishing it that you currently have, at which point the fish quickly can become extremely hook-shy (and depleted if even one or two of those fishermen are keeping their catch). I would say just from the regularity of lines being plied in that pond that probably the larger bass in there are already far past ever falling for any presentation other than a live bluegill. I fish a pond that's smaller than yours, a little under an acre, but which receives about the equivalent (less total, but for its size about the same) pressure; I've only seen other fishermen there when I was there, a handful of times over two years, though one of those times there were two other parties other than me. It has several large LMB that I've seen as recently as last fall when I saw a pack of six or eight not one of which would've gone under four pounds and some bigger; a couple years ago the larger bass would still hit lures, but now I have gone over a year without hooking a big one on a lure. They go after live bluegill with great frequency; anything else and you're just practicing your casting skills. The smaller bass (1-2 pounds) still hit lures; the big ones just ignore you. I haven't heard of or seen anyone catch one of the larger ones on a lure in close to two years. I've caught several big ones just in the past two months while reeling in a small bluegill, but they're over lures.

I would suggest significantly curtailing the frequency of fishing trips by anyone but yourself and your loved ones. Come up with a schedule, once or twice a month perhaps (two acres is not a 1,000 acre lake), of trips allowed by renters, friends of renters you want to allow (I wouldn't be that generous but that's just me), etc.; once the quota has been reached for a given month, no more trips other than by you and the family.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
IMO what you described is to many people/time fishing for that size pond. Way to many. A couple things to consider .

You do not know about the morts. A % of all fish hooked die , all fish removed die , natural morts can be high.

The fish that bite are the ones with the highest morts and over time the non-biters will dominate and pass that genetic trait on to offspring. See the upcoming issue of PB mag for the story. A certain % of fish will never bite a lure or hook (see LMB research - same for BG and tilapia among others).

You don't know what or how many fish are being taken out. Often people say 1 thing and do something else. This can result in an out of balance population as well as hook shy fish. There are several threads here on "catchability" and articles in PB mag. Without the exact info you can't make informed choices with out a population analysis.

Last edited by ewest; 08/06/09 03:34 PM.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
That's fascinating stuff about the non-biter gene, Eric. I can't wait to read the article.

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I have a five acre pond that I usally fish around once a week. It only took the fish about a year to figure out most of my tricks. Every now and then I can try something new and catch a good many but most of the time I fish all day just to catch a few fish. They learn alot quicker than people think. I tag alot of my fish when I catch them and record what I caught them on. I rarley catch the same fish on the same lure twice. You might think that all those people your letting fish are following your rules but they are probably keeping every thing and will fish the pond to death till they have cleaned it out. You might want to think about cutting out some of the fishing.

J
jimmyt Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Thanks, guys, for the info on my obviously over fished pond. I will take corrective measures at once. It is really hard to say no to people, but ultimately the reason I bought this farm was I wanted a place for ME to fish!

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Yes, it can be tough to say no but when people abuse your permission but letting all their friends fish as well, it gets a lot easier to say NO.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
You could always invite them to chip in on the management costs. Probably that would whittle down the number of prospective fishermen significantly.

But seriously, don't hesitate to give them the boot. As CJ noted, granting all of their friends permission they don't have to grant, is the hallmark of people who don't respect your pond.

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I have three lakes. 2.5 acre, 3.5 acre, and 25 acre. The only one that you can easily catch bass in is the large one. I have allowed a good bit of fishing in the smaller lakes to keep them from getting bass heavy. The fishing is not good in either, but it's great in the 25 acre one. I've saved it for my grand kids and other people bringing kids. They have a blast, but now I've considered loosening up some to prevent it from getting bass heavy.
What is the balance?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
25 acres gives some room to work with catchability.

By balance do you mean balancing the amount of fishing so as not to have a catchability problem or do you mean the balance of fish populations in the lake ?

T
Lunker
Lunker
T
I don't want to allow so much fishing that the kids can't catch them anymore, so should I not worry about it getting bass heavy and just the the kids take out the small ones they catch. I have had a pond get bass heavy in the past and am just gun shy about it.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Just an idea. Why not make one of the smaller ones your easy catch lake and focus the big one on more lofty goals. It seems like your smaller ponds could be great to turn into easy catch holes while allowing you to really take advantage of the big one.

Whenever I take my 3-year old, soon to be cousin in laws, fishing they dont give a rip how big the body of water is as long as they catch something. (We tend to get 4 inch bluegill from a 1/10 acre pond.

Idk just an idea

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Those are sure good possible options.

TedJ said "so should I not worry about it getting bass heavy and just the kids take out the small ones they catch."

From a typical southern LMB/BG lake with normal productivity you can remove 10 to 20 lbs of LMB per acre a year. At an average .75 lbs per small LMB that is about 20 LMB per acre or 375 LMB. Adjust the #s to keep good RW (Wr) and condition.

I would intentionally let one of the small lakes be LMB crowded so as to have a trophy BG lake - great for kids fishing.

Last edited by ewest; 08/30/09 07:32 AM.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Ted I think a well thought plan needs to be implemented. Having multiple ponds are great because they can be managed differently to meet goals. I echo Ewest I usually suggest letting a smaller pond in your scenario get bass heavy on purpose to grow big bluegill. For smaller pond you can have hsb fishing possibly or trout in winter time that last about 6 months. You know Travis Turner? I think I got him thinking about winter trout as well if interested I can call you in October when placing our orders.

Also for your big lake goals you need to get a buttoned up harvest figure both of what sizes to take and how many lbs. The rates Ewest gave are too low if leaning towards bass heavy already and goal is big bass.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Greg is right. The #s I gave were for an average balanced pond in the south with a goal of keeping it balanced. If LMB crowded you may need to go up to 30 lbs pre acre.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Greg, isn't Travis Turner a big deer hunter on hunting DVD's? That name is ringing a bell...

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
CJ you must liek the hunting shows as much as me, yes that is Tbone from Bone Collector show, super nice guy with a littel 3/4 acre pond he fixed up.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
That's some good suggestions. I think I'm going to let the 2.5 acre pond become bass heavy and manage for the big bluegill. It's stocked with coppernose now. I used to feed them regulary but it seemed to hurt the fishing some. I love to fly fish, and used to stock the small pond with trout. Now that was fun. Got back into my beagles and the fly fishing went to the wayside.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Feeding is the most surefire way to grow huge bluegill, Ted. If your tactics are sound you should still be able to catch them very well; if anything, the food should concentrate them and make them easier to catch. An automatic feeder or feeders are the way to go if you really want to maximize bluegill size because an auto feeder never misses a feeding, and you can set it to feed three or four times a day (you can set them for more than that but more feedings produce diminishing returns according to studies).

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you do feed, selling Stubby Steve's to use as bait would go hand in hand!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
 Originally Posted By: Greg Grimes
CJ you must liek the hunting shows as much as me, yes that is Tbone from Bone Collector show, super nice guy with a littel 3/4 acre pond he fixed up.

Cool, I thought the name sounded familiar. He seems like a super nice down to earth guy. And yes, I watch way too many hunting shows! HAHA

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward