Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,069
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (Rick O, Freg, Justin W, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello), 724 guests, and 180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I have a neighbor a couple miles from me with an old 7 acre sand pit lake. He wants to start managing it as a fish for pay lake. The lake has never been managed, just allowed to exist. Some of his clients have told him they think he has a stunting issue. There are a few quality LMB. An 8+ was caught last week. I took a stroll along about 200 yards of shoreline yesterday and didnt see a single BG or bed and very few minnows. My first impression is he has no forage base left.

He'd like to have a shock study done but doesnt know of anyone local who can do the job. He wants to stock F1s, but needs to know exactly what he has first.

Does anyone know of a source in Texas or Louisiana? The closest he's found is in Alabama.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
J
J
PM sent

B
B

Last edited by BrianL; 05/23/19 01:02 PM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
P
P
If it is a sand pit the won’t it be to deep to shock? Most sand pits are steep sided around here.fish it and do WR on what ya catch if no shallows. Get ahold of Bob Lusk....

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
If it is a sand pit the won’t it be to deep to shock? Most sand pits are steep sided around here.fish it and do WR on what ya catch if no shallows. Get ahold of Bob Lusk....

Hey Pat. He had a diver come out and do a recon of the pond. The deepest water is supposedly 12 feet. It's a big donut shaped BOW with a fairly large wooded island in the middle as well as a smaller one. This area is only about 12' mean sea level. That depth is where you typically hit water. It's also spring fed. Water is about 10" above the normal full pool line right now and very turbid at the moment. Maybe 6" visibility.

Update: went back out there this evening and gave the owner some contact information that was passed to me (thanks again to those who replied). Got some more information on the pond as well. Being an old soul pond, it has apparently developed a diverse residency. The big LMB recently caught was subject to a big bluegill that was also caught in the pond. They have also caught catfish (species unknown), crappie (species unknown), bowfin and have an occasional visit by a 10 foot gator.

I'm planning on taking the kayak this weekend and see just what I can catch.

Last edited by Mike Whatley; 05/23/19 07:33 PM.

.10 surface acre pond, 10.5 foot deep. SW LA. The epitome of a mutt pond. BG, LMB, GSF, RES, BH, Warmouth, Longear Sunfish, Gambusia,Mud Minnows, Crappie, and now shiners!!...I subscribe!!
P
P
Have a good time fishing! Probably have to move the bait slowly due to non clear water

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Have a good time fishing! Probably have to move the bait slowly due to non clear water

I'm hoping I can find some clearer water on the back side of the donut. He's developed a sizable portion of the surrounding property into an RV park. That's the area I was able to walk. Fairly new development, so I'm sure runoff has tinted that side. The back side is thick woods and looked to be somewhat clearer.

Rumor has it the big bass that was recently caught had an equally large sister swimming beside it when it was landed. The angler released the fish. Hoping to try different things to see what variety I can catch. May get lucky and catch a few small LMB I can transfer to my pond. We shall see.

OP Offline
I made it out to my neighbor's pond this morning. Left the kayak at home and just fished from the bank. Caught one really healthy 11" LMB on a spinnerbait. Tried several other lures and finally started getting some action on a small roadrunner (bottom spin) jighead and a black/chartreuse slider grub. Landed another 10" LMB and lost two more about 6" and one 3+# right at the shoreline. Also caught a 6" RES.

I had the two LMB and RES in an aerated cooler to bucket stock in my pond. When I went to check on them, the two LMB were missing. I found one under the car and can only assume they somehow were able to get out and the other was able to flip its way back into the pond. I was really looking forward to bumping my LMB headcount.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:13 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails