Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
TropicalKoi, Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B
18,486 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,816
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, Bigtrh24, Theo Gallus, Joe7328, Bill Cody, Theschack), 803 guests, and 160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#479849 09/12/17 12:41 PM
DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello fellow pondmeisters. I have a shock survey scheduled for this Saturday. I have held off on making any stocking corrections, and just worked on water quality and nutrient reduction and structure so far. I wanted to have a clear (as possible) understanding of what species I have in my pond before attempting to add or subtract anything. So after asking the forum, Herman Brothers were suggested (out of Illinois, and just across the border from me in Iowa). They helped me set up a shock survey with a local/Iowa pond management company they work with. So, my question to you all is: how do I maximize the benefit of this survey? What are questions to be asked? The pond mgmt company has already asked me to think about my goals regarding corrective stocking. I can share those if anyone is interested. But just wondering if anyone has any pearls to share before Saturday. Thanks!
- Luke

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
T
T
Dr Luke I have shocked twice in my 3+ acre pond. Why? because I suspected low predator numbers, and the shock proved me to be correct. The shock sample did not tell me why the numbers were low but it did give me a snap shot in time as to where I was. For me, the sample may have shown low numbers but it showed some crazy growth in the fish that were in the pond. And I think that is what a shock sample will give you. That picture in time. I will say that the guys u hired should give u a good picture of what they see in your pond. They will see things you might not see, even though you might be in the boat with them during the sampling. The sampling took around two hrs of shock time to do my pond and another hr or so to weigh, measure and count the fish. And there was a write up following the survey with suggestions regarding your goals and how you might get there.. They might give a report on a water sample, I would ask for them to check the water for me(you). Have fun with it all, I would suggest you ride in the shock boat if possible. And I have to say that Overton's Fisheries did my shocking and I have been pleased with them for the job they did. I suspect your too far for them but I needed to say they did mine smile

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
F
F
Tracy -

Thanks for your thoughts on this. I also have a shock coming up in about a month or so and am interested to hear what folks think the "questions to ask" are.

If Though Desire Rest, Desire Not Too Much.
F
F
Tracy, On a shock survey, do the fish die or just stuns them for a little while? How long before they go back to norm if they do?

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the feed back Tracy! One of the big reasons I wanted the survey was for gathering more information on my predators. Specifically, my pond has BCP. And some pretty big ones. I've also caught ONE LMB, once. Given that my pond is only 2.5 acres, it flies in the face of conventional wisdom on having large BCPs. So the puzzle for me has been, what is allowing my BCP to grow fairly well? Some unknown predator? A food source (in abundance) specific to my pond and it's conditions? My pond is really euthrophic. I have a bunch of 1-3 foot water, with thick sediment on the bottom. And lots of FA most of the summer. So I wonder if those conditions have created a feed environment that my BCP are doing well with...

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Originally Posted By: DrLuke
Hello fellow pondmeisters. I have a shock survey scheduled for this Saturday. I have held off on making any stocking corrections, and just worked on water quality and nutrient reduction and structure so far. I wanted to have a clear (as possible) understanding of what species I have in my pond before attempting to add or subtract anything. So after asking the forum, Herman Brothers were suggested (out of Illinois, and just across the border from me in Iowa). They helped me set up a shock survey with a local/Iowa pond management company they work with. So, my question to you all is: how do I maximize the benefit of this survey? What are questions to be asked? The pond mgmt company has already asked me to think about my goals regarding corrective stocking. I can share those if anyone is interested. But just wondering if anyone has any pearls to share before Saturday. Thanks!
- Luke

What are your goals for the pond? Big bass? Big BG? Fun bonus fish like HSB?

Last edited by Bocomo; 09/13/17 10:05 AM.
DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
I was hoping someone would ask that! Here is an edited copy of what I sent the pond mgmt company doing my survey:
- so, my goals for this fishery is to diversify the fish population a bit more. Currently my pond is known to have BCP and BG.
- the BG population is reproducing but adults are stunted. They've taken to feeding well (just started summer 2017). I like BG and wouldn't mind catching some bigger ones. But they are my forage base primarily.
- so, with the above being said, I was strongly leaning to ladder stock HSB (hybrid striped bass) over the next 5 years (and perhaps indefinitely if all goes well), but only 10-15 per year in the 7" size range. My thinking is I want their mouth gape to be large enough to help control my BCP and BG population, especially the 4 inch and under fish. I also want to be mindful of my carrying capacity (for this 2.5 acre eutrophic pond). I do have aeration, but that doesn't make me bullet proof for a DO crash, given the right conditions.
- I was also thinking of ladder stocking some walleye, with the same apex predator help in mind, at about the same rate.
- I was wondering about adding some RES, for some snail management and possibility of trophy panfish as bonus fish.
- I was also wondering about SMB as another apex and bonus fish. I am thinking it best to avoid LMB due to over production issues they can also present.

So, to summarize:
- 10-15 HSB (7 inch size range)
- 10-15 walleye (5-7 inch size range)
- 8-10 SMB (5-7 inch size range)
- 50 RES (4-5 inch size range)"

Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Here's what to expect from an electrofishing survey.

Basically, an electrofishing survey is an "snapshot" of what's going on under water at that moment in time. Keep in mind your pond's fishery is dynamic, always changing. But, the electrofishing survey should give you the following information.
1) The different species in your lake.
2) The different size classes of each species.
3) Ratios of fish, for comparison.
4) Body condition of your fish, with a focus on apex predators.
5) Proportion Stock Density (PSD) to give you an idea how many "quality" fish you have.
6) Harvest or stocking recommendations.

Depending on the knowledge and methods of your consultant, you may also receive:
Habitat opinion: Habitat is crucial to the success of a species, and the size classes of that species. So, an evaluation of habitat has value.
Aquatic plant growth: It's valuable to know the species and quantities of those plants, in order to determine whether action should be taken.

The written report should reflect the information above, with recommendations. Based on your goals, the survey will basically give you a reference point, or a starting point. From that, you will have solid information to make good decisions.

Questions to ask the consultant are:
1) Does my food chain support my game fish?
2) Is my habitat adequate to support the key species?
3) I intend to stock the following fish...will the food chain support them? If not, what do I need to do?
4) What do I need to keep my key species moving in an upward trend of growth and numbers?
5) (This may be the most important one) Did we get enough of a random sample to make good decisions?

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
DrLuke Offline OP
OP Offline
You know it's a good day when the Pond Boss himself takes part in a thread you started! Thanks Bob!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Theo Gallus - 04/20/24 10:31 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/20/24 10:27 AM
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM