Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka
18,495 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,935
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, 4CornersPuddle, SetterGuy, Dave Davidson1, gautprod, Bigtrh24, rjackson, Theo Gallus, Shorthose), 732 guests, and 197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#269330 09/03/11 03:38 PM
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
After the renovation and all the pond is doing pretty well. Still way too clear and not enough bloom. But that is next years problem. I have culled a lot of LMB and the BG population is looking pretty good. Caught a bunch of big fat ones and just a few 14" LMB today so that is promising. There are good amounts of BG and LMB minnows swimming around too.

But alas, I am a "tinkerer" and want to add some more forage this month to help out. I usually put in FHM but I am considering a few hundred GSH. I could actually add more BG and nothing else if you think the GSH would compete with BG for limited plankton.

Right now the BG population looks pretty good and I would really like to put weight on the LMB and that has me leaning to GSH.

Of course I could do nothing at all but what fun is that? I would be interested in the wise forums opinions as usual. Also, since all seems to be stable now I am considering adding a few CC to the pond. Any recommendations there as well?

Montani semper liberi

Mountaineers are always free[Linked Image from i369.photobucket.com]
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
My name is Mark. I am a stockaholic.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I think the GSH will likely not compete with the BG for long as they'll simply be prudent fast bass snack... Keeping that in mind, you can stock them. They may take hold, if they do they will directly compete with BG for food. Depends on your goals, big bass go with the GSH. Big BG, don't stock either. As far as CC, stock. Only as many as you plan to harvest annually. Any more and they'll really be a biomass hog and will directly compete with the bass for food.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Good one Dave! I can't just leave it alone. I am a pondaholic/fishaholic too.

My goals are big BG and big LMB. A tough order I know. How about just adding more 2-3" BG for forage? There is not a huge price difference between what Zett's calls Silver Shiners and BG. In theory, the LMB will snack on the small BG and those that don't get eaten will spawn and keep the forage base abundant-right?

Now that I've culled LMB I want to fatten up the lucky survivors.

Montani semper liberi

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
It depends on your checkbook. Small BG are going for about 25 cents or more here. So, if you can spend 75 cents to $1.00 per LMB within the first couple of days it might make some sense. If you think you are currently short on shortage I doubt that over a couple would escape immediate predation. If you are not short on forage you would be providing a solution where no problem exists.

However, that seems kinda short sighted. The usual objective is to create a sustainable forage base where LMB bite based on their predatory instinct rather than hunger.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I may be short on forage for the larger LMB that we transplanted back after renovation. That's why i am considering introducing more larger forage such BG or a lot of shiners in the hopes of providing larger forage for the larger fish.

I know most will get eaten and this is OK. i just want the bigger LMB to put on weight if possible. The 12-14" LMB have plenty to eat.

After what I have spent in the last 5 years on these ponds buying extra forage is a miniscule expense. Right now there are only LMB and BG in the pond.

Montani semper liberi

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Bass need forage that is 1/4 to 1/3 their length and it takes 10 pounds of forage for a bass to gain one pound. It's a matter of calories received vs energy expended. The "normal" bluegill from the hatchery is usually 2 to 4 inches. Those are eaten before the larger fish get a shot at them.

So, go big if you're going and get a bunch.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M

The largest fish are probably just getting to 4 lbs by now. The originals from my initial stocking in 2006 have had a tough life with 2 transplants and all. That's one reason I was thinking of trying to add shiners to the forage base. The pond is 2 acres so How many shiners and or BG would you add?

Montani semper liberi

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 04/24/24 07:49 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM