Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 857 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#400776 02/14/15 09:09 AM
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I thought I would pass on my experience on my first fresh water shrimp catching day. It's been nice weather all week so I took off to Caddo Lake (Texas Louisiana border lake) I think it may be only natural lake in Texas. Pretty much a cypress tree swamp kind of lake. Since the lake is loaded with lilly pads and cypress trees and such, I thought it would be a good place to see what I might scoop up with a fine mesh long handled net. After getting to an area where I thought they might be, I put my net in the water and on the first pass of the net, I had one FW Shrimp. It was about 1" long and maybe a 1/8" wide. It jumped around in the net so it caught my eye. I was excited to say the least. First trip and first pass with the net. I tried for another couple of hrs and finished the day with just 4 shrimp and one 1" crawfish. All of them went into the new pond. It was not as successful as I had hoped but I scored smile And I am going back today. I don't have any idea if I can start or even keep some shrimp and craws going with such small contributions to the pond but I am looking forward to this day of foraging new stockers. smile
Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
P
P
Sounds like fun. There is a shallow creek by me that has a lot of the shrimp in it. Think they need lots of plants to do well and get established

Pat

Originally Posted By: TGW1
I thought I would pass on my experience on my first fresh water shrimp catching day. It's been nice weather all week so I took off to Caddo Lake (Texas Louisiana border lake) I think it may be only natural lake in Texas. Pretty much a cypress tree swamp kind of lake. Since the lake is loaded with lilly pads and cypress trees and such, I thought it would be a good place to see what I might scoop up with a fine mesh long handled net. After getting to an area where I thought they might be, I put my net in the water and on the first pass of the net, I had one FW Shrimp. It was about 1" long and maybe a 1/8" wide. It jumped around in the net so it caught my eye. I was excited to say the least. First trip and first pass with the net. I tried for another couple of hrs and finished the day with just 4 shrimp and one 1" crawfish. All of them went into the new pond. It was not as successful as I had hoped but I scored smile And I am going back today. I don't have any idea if I can start or even keep some shrimp and craws going with such small contributions to the pond but I am looking forward to this day of foraging new stockers. smile
Tracy

That sounds like a great way to spend a day! smile

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I have my best FWshrimp catching by sweeping the net through or among submerged vegetation. You will usually get some plant materials but they can easily be lifted out of the net leaving small stuff still in the net. Or dump the net in a tub of water the shrimp swim free and you can lift out the weeds.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
My grass shrimp have prospered fine with no vegetation. As sunfish numbers in the pond grow, we'll see how their numbers hold up...

TGW1, does your pond currently have fish in it? If not, even a small number of grass shrimp could very easily establish a population.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Are grass shrimp common in Indiana. Are there different species? How large do they get? Do they all reproduce in ponds?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Not a lot of ponds have grass shrimp due to lack of proper cover (weeds) and with too many predators (almost all species of fish at some time or another) that eat all life stages of the shrimp. I will be very interested and learn to see if CJBS's shrimp survive with lack of weeds and increasing panfish populations. the experience will be a good learning experience for all here.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/15/15 10:40 AM.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
My next pond should be mostly wetland, so I am trying to understand if it would be good to add local grass shrimp if they are common and will reproduce. I understand that their survival will depend on cover.

S
S
There are some U-tube videos that show netting grass shrimp in conditions you describe. Shallow water with lots of weeds and grass. As I recall (been a while since I watched some of them) they were getting on the order of 25 grass shrimp with a dip net as they drug it through the grassy areas.

I would think a wetland type pond without a lot of predators would be ideal for grass shrimp. But my personal experience is severely limited. Hopefully will know more about raising them later this summer when I see how they do in my forage pond. It is not the perfect environment to raise them.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
S
S
Here is a u-tube video on catching grass shrimp.

Catching and using grass shrimp for bait Lots of other videos on catching them and using for fishing bait.

Here is a thread that starts out as ordering grass shrimp, but the thread has lots of useful information about them and some links to other threads on the subject.

Grass shrimp order You may have to skip through some of the replies that just pertain to the mechanics of the ordering, but lots of good info later on and on page 2

Last edited by snrub; 02/15/15 05:14 PM.

John

Thanks Snrub. The video shows what I was hoping to see demonstrated. I will give it a try next summer.

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/15/15 05:35 PM.

[Linked Image]
Tracy

Tracy,

Catch any on day 2?

[Linked Image]
S
S
Some other grass shrimp threads on PBF

Freshwater shrimp from 2013

Freshwater shrimp from 2010

Grass shrimp from 8/09

Grass shrimp from 5/09

Pondweed/grass shrimp relationship

PK shrimp order 2010

There are probably more. Now I need to go back and read through all the ones I missed before when researching grass shrimp for my forage pond........... that is going to take a while. smile

John

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Grass shrimp should be shocked like FHM. In the beginning and into almost every pond. I see no reason to not stock them for almost any pond goal...

F
F
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
Grass shrimp should be shocked like FHM. In the beginning and into almost every pond. I see no reason to not stock them for almost any pond goal...

agreed!! except for the shocking part, no experience with that. Along with an appropriate scudd or two.

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
D
D
We catch crawdads with our hands in the shallow creek. Big uns are only 1.5-2" long. It's great fun. Occasionally get pinched. A fast scooping motion toward a bucket is advised.

S
S
Here is a link that CJBS2003 provided in one of the other links from an older thread that is a technical paper with specifics of the life cycle of various grass shrimp species.

Grass shrimp species profile

Palaemonetes Kadiakensis or PK shrimp is the most common variety talked about here on PBF for inclusion in ponds. I beleive they are also referred to as Mississippi grass shrimp.

Last edited by snrub; 02/16/15 08:41 AM.

John

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: CJBS2003
My grass shrimp have prospered fine with no vegetation. As sunfish numbers in the pond grow, we'll see how their numbers hold up...

TGW1, does your pond currently have fish in it? If not, even a small number of grass shrimp could very easily establish a population.

I now have 3500 cnbg, 2000 res and 120 lbs of fhm and as soon as this front passes I will add 10,000 TFS and another 2500 cnbg. With grass carp and CBJumpers lmb coming this June.
And Bill D, I caught 0 on the 2nd day, Caddo lake is a 27,000 acre cypress tree swamp kinda of thing which makes it hard to get to the shallows by boat. I need wader boots to get to the good stuff where the shrimp hang out. I may try another lake close by with less trees along the shallows. it was cool to go and catch my first shrimp smile

Tracy
T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I have my best FWshrimp catching by sweeping the net through or among submerged vegetation. You will usually get some plant materials but they can easily be lifted out of the net leaving small stuff still in the net. Or dump the net in a tub of water the shrimp swim free and you can lift out the weeds.

Bill C, I did just like u stated here. the first day I did it at the vegetation closest to the shore I could get to. the 2nd day I ventured out to some veg beds and tried scooping through the real deep green coon tail veg but was not able to reach the bottom of the lake. so on the passes with the net I would shake out the net ever so careful and I found some un expected creatures. Some insects (looked like a small beatle but colored like a yellow jacket wasp) which was weird because they were under water and a long green looking creature that I did not want to handle. I guess I might be a wuss, when it come to grabbing hold of things I have never seen before. Haha smile
Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 02/16/15 09:01 AM. Reason: MS

Tracy
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
No doubt that some types of waters grow more grass shrimp than others. Type of habitat and predators are the main limiting factors. Note the type of habitat where they were catching them in the u-tube video above linked by Snrub. It would have been helpful if in the video they showed the type of weeds where they were catching grass shrimp.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/16/15 10:01 AM.

T
TGW1 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
In my first post I also caught 1 small native crawfish and I added it to the pond. Now I am thinking of adding papershell craws to the pond. I was not able to locate a contact email of phone number for a place to order papershells. Anyone here have a contact for the papershells and what the cost might be?
Thanks Tracy
PS
Anyone have contacts for ordering the least evasive pond vegetation. I want some to follow the shore line for about 2' out around the banks.
Thanks again
Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 02/16/15 10:47 AM. Reason: ms i good at that

Tracy
S
S
as I recall also the guy in the video said he could catch them in spring and fall but not as many in summer and winter. Only a few then.

They may go to deeper water during the winter and move to the shallows in the spring as it warms up. Seems like it might have said something to that effect in the research paper - can't remember for sure. I'm wondering if you will have more luck as spring comes around and the water warms up some.

John

In my first post I also caught 1 small native crawfish and I added it to the pond. Now I am thinking of adding papershell craws to the pond. I was not able to locate a contact email of phone number for a place to order papershells. Anyone here have a contact for the papershells and what the cost might be?
Thanks Tracy
PS
Anyone have contacts for ordering the least evasive pond vegetation. I want some to follow the shore line for about 2' out around the banks.
Thanks again
Tracy

Smith Creek Fish Farm lists Papershells and plants and I think they ship

http://www.smithcreekfishfarm.com/live-pond-fish.cfm

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/16/15 04:27 PM.

[Linked Image]
C
C
CJBS
There was some question in this post on whether your grass shrimp (PK shrimp) would survive with presence of panfish predators and limited vegetation. How are yours doing?

I was happy that my population of PK shrimp has skyrocketed this year despite FHM, GSH, a few RES, LES and LCS, and 100 perch put in the pond this spring. I also have many unwanted goldfish, but the turbidity they create probably protects the PK shrimp. I have very little to no vegetation this year (due to a little chemical application but low dose to target milfoil only) and mainly from increased turbidity. I do have a rim of FA all around the shore which they probably are happy to hide in and around.

I can catch lots of them in my minnow seine and am glad that this forage item seems to be doing well. If I ever find a dead perch I'd like to see the contents of the stomach to see if perch eat them or not.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM