Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
2 members (gehajake, catscratch), 938 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
bowjo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
I have a new 1/4 acre pond.I had originaly stocked 5#of FHM, 150 HBG at 1-3",and 50 at 4-6".30 RES at 3-4"..15 YP at 2-4".I also stocked HSB 2-8" and don't know how many lived.There is also 1 10" SMB.The pond is doing well with the HBG eating feed every day.I also see a few HSB feeding.I don't see any adult FHM,but lots of very small ones.I am thinking about adding another 50 HBG 6-8",20 HSB 3-5" to replace the ones that died and some more FHM.I would like to be catching and eating HBG next year.Am I getting in too big a hurry or pushing my fish holding capacity too much.......Joe

Last edited by bowjo; 06/01/10 11:40 AM.
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
OK. I will get in on this one.

When the experts chime in, they will want to know things like:

What are your goals for the pond?

Are you aerating?

Do you plan to aerate?

That should get things started.

Mikey

B
bowjo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
There is no areation in this pond.

B
bowjo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
All opinions are welcome and appreciated.......Something else I noticed this afternoon,alot of FHM fry swimming around.Alot more than I had previously suspected........Joe

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Joe,

In you original post, you mention that you stocked HSB. How many did you stock? Was it 2 that were 8", or a different number that were 2"-8"?

I think that will make a difference. If you stocked say, 20 HSB originally, then adding another 20 might push the envelope. If you only stocked 2 then I think you would be OK with your plan. It sounds very similar to the numbers in my pond if I equate it to your 1/4 acre. I do not aerate and have not had any concerns to date. My pond is young though. Only in its second full season.

Mike

Mikey

B
bowjo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Sorry about that...It was supposed to be 2"-8".I do not really know how many survived.I have only observed about 8 when feeding.....Joe

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Did you see any dead HSB? How many went in with the first stocking?

You may not see all of them. I have 50 in my pond and they are quick when they feed. I notice that they like to swipe at the pellets sometimes and wait for them to sink. You may have more than you think.

I think the stocking rate opinions are going to vary from 25/acre to 100/acre on the HSB. This translates to about 6 to 25 for your pond.

I stocked the equivelent of 300 sunfish per 1/4 acre.

It all depends on what you want to focus on. If you really want to catch sunfish for the table, then you might be better off putting more of those in the pond. You can still have a few HSB for a shot at catching a big fish, but it seems like you want to catch nice sunfish for fun and food.

I am not too sure about what effect the Perch will have. I do not have them in my pond.

I am hoping that one of the experts will be chiming in shortly.

I am not one .... But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night wink

Mikey

B
bowjo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks again.I believe I will wait on the HSB and just put some more larger HBG.I may hold off on more FHM also,as there are alot of small ones swimming around.I do want a decent predator base though.I highly suspect some of my HBG are regular BG and hope they don't get to populated.Keep the advise coming.I am new to this and appreciate the help.....Joe

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
If you do have regular BG, then some more predators might be needed to keep them in check. Catch some and post pics. We can tell you what you got.

How much cover is in the pond? If there is not much, predators will have an easier time of keeping the sunfish population in check. You could also seine the pond to remove larger numbers of small BG if they are in there.

On my 2 acres, I decided I wanted to manage for big BG. I am using LMB as a management tool to keep the numbers under control (in theory). The BG that do make it should grow large. I was fine with not catching a big fish. A lot of small bass would be fun for the kids and big BG would be the result. When I read about HSB, I was interested. I put 50 in last year. Wow, these things are fun! Now I can grow big BG and catch a big fish someday.

Mikey

B
bowjo Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
This is a new pond any fish in it were put in this spring.They were all supposed to be HBG.I think the hatchery had some BG in there too.They were only 1"-3" fish then.If I get too many HSB fingerlings I should be able to thin them out next year,shouldn't I?I hope to raise some nice HBG for eating and a few other fish to catch for fun....So far I am having fun ,using my pond like a big aquarium.....Joe

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Sure. With that size pond, you can put a good dent in the population in no time. I also understand that HSB are good eating too. You can take the slower growers out and leave the faster growers in. I have not had any yet. Can't bring myself to do it cry

Now the HBG are another story. Many of those have hit the frying pan. I did not want them in my pond, but that what was stocked primarily. Mine were the same size as yours when they went in. I had no idea what was a BG, HBG or RES.

I think your plan is solid. HBG are good eaters and they do grow quick on pellets. The HSB will give you the most fun IMO.

I totally understand about the aquarium thing. I feed by hand and love to watch what is going on under the surface. I have 30 or so LMB that greet me each morning and evening. They see me walk up to the pond and they race to where I am. I can see wakes coming from 30 yards away!

Mikey

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...