Hello!

I live in Ohio. My father has two ponds(now sister owns). My mom has 3 ponds at her current house and 1 at her old house. Both grandparents had/have several ponds. I grew up around ponds and helping dig some of them.

I just built a 1/2 acre pond!!! We are so excited! This forum has been very interesting to read. I've picked up a ton of great ideas. I'd love to pick up some more tips or suggestions if you have them.

Here is what I have so far:

0.44 acre roughly
water level is roughly 1/2 way up rocks when full (i hope? lol).
15ft water level depth at deepest. 16ft to top of rocks
Current Depth = 6-7ft
Clay, lots of clay, blue clay down deeper. No sand in sight.
House downspouts, house sumps and well are filling it.
1/3 hp Sump Pump fountain with 17ft of tubing to nozzle, running 24/7
Stocking Plan: 5 pounds of fathead minnows (add now?) -- 250 Red Ear Sunfish (add in fall?) -- 75 Hybrid Striped Bass (add next summer?)
Tractor Supply Pellet feed = Sportsman's Choice TrophyFish Feed 36% protein (best I can source locally I think)

Fish Attractors with flower float to mark them.

Fat Head Minnow spawning structure on south
Pallets are leaned on Milkcrates, all tied together.

Two more in north

=======================================================

Some questions I have.

1) I have 6 feet of water in there now, it's pretty chilly as my well is putting out a large amount of water and it's colllddd. Is it too early to add Fat Heads?

2) Should I add some sort of habitat for RES spawning? Maybe old disc blades from farm equipment? There is a beach area that stretches out a ways, they could spawn in that and be fine?

3) The Hybrid striped bass will eat up my minnow population, will they decimate it? Should I take out the pallets in a few years as the minnows will be gone? I plan to pellet feed by hand, I'll probably miss nights.

3) The 1/3 hp pump pushing water 15ft up isn't moving a ton of water, but it taking it from the bottom to the top and creating disruption. Is this 'good enough' for my stocking plan?

4) I have a 1 year old constant pressure 60psi well pump. Well is year old too. I'm using a 50ft 3/4 hose running 24/7 into tile. Am I going to run my well dry? lol I'm able to run sprinklers and shower at the same time and can't tell the difference as pump is keeping up with demand I guess.

5) I'm not that keen on sinking trees... should I not be?

6) Are my things too deep? too shallow? Could be better in some way?

7) What to do for a dock. Floating with barrels homemade? Purchase something?

99) I'm missing like 100 more questions probably. Anything you suggest? add change etc?

Thanks!!!! You've already helped me so much with all the reading I've done here. amazing resource you have here. Wish I had this info back when I was digging dad's ponds with him.

Last edited by klingj8; 07/25/19 03:25 PM.