Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
13 members (dg84s, Shorthose, Sunil, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Fishingadventure, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 798 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
jsg712 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I recently found that my one acre pond sprouted a leak in the dam. I would greatly appreciate any recommendations on who I can contact in the Northern Virginia area to come out to assess the problem and ultimately make the necessary repairs.

P
P
Jsg712
Welcome to Pond Boss forum
Someone near you will be along to help , untill then give some details about the leaks location , soil type, how old is pond.... Stuff they will need to know before they can answer again Welcome

Pat

Hey Jsg712,

Welcome to PBF! I can't help on the leaky pond question cause my puddle is a water table pond and leaks by nature! grin

One of the experts will be a long I am sure to guide you to a pond man in yer area. You can always ask a nearby fish farm for a recommendation. Around here, they seem to have a list of contractors they can give you.

Again....Welcome!

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'm about 15-20 miles west of Winchester off US-50. I am in Winchester a few days a week.

I don't do repairs. I know a little bit about ponds and dams. I've built and repaired a few ponds between here and Nokesville, VA. I also know a few dirt movers.

If you are in western Loudoun, Clarke, Frederick, Warren, or Shenandoah counties, I may be able to assist, or at least assess your problem. However, I'm highly allergic to the area anywhere from about 15-20 miles west of the Route 28 and 15 corridors, and all that is east of it.

If you are hesitant to post where you are, send me a PM with your approximate location.

Also -- welcome to Pond Boss.

Ken

Edit: P.S. I'm not soliciting. I don't charge. I'm retired.

Last edited by catmandoo; 04/07/15 08:29 PM. Reason: P.S.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
P
P
Cat
What did you do that you are allergic to that area? LOL I bet it's a doozy

Pat

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Cat
What did you do that you are allergic to that area? LOL I bet it's a doozy
Pat

It is like driving in New York City, Boston, LA, Philadelphia ...

It is far more intense than other big city areas like calm and polite Dallas/FW at rush hour during an ice storm. eek

P
P
Dangit was hoping for some good stuff

M
M
Welcome aboard It hard to beat GOOD free advice When catmandoo talks you listen, As far as I know there is no other place on the planet that a guy will offer to help a new friend. This is great

J
jsg712 Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the quick replies. I am located in Haymarket, VA about 5 miles north of the Rt 15 (Haymarket) exit on I66. Located on the west side of Rt15 at the base of Bull Run Mountain.

We purchased our home about 3 years ago. I believe the previous owner had the pond build about 10 years ago. The soil is clay and doesn't perk very well which is why we have an alternative septic system. A part of the property is actually located in a 100 year flood plain.

I noticed the leak last Saturday. The leak was at the bottom of the dam. It was a rather steady stream of water exiting from a hole. I dug around the hole to try and determine the cause and source of the leak. I tried plugging the hole with clay from the dam but it seemed that the water always found another way to exit either through seeping or through a stream of water. I also put on my waders and entered the pond to see if I could stomp/compact the clay bottom to fill in any hole(s) that might exist. The bottom was extremely soft and difficult to walk on. I also compressed the clay around the shoreline to close any grayfish holes since it seems we are a lot of grayfish who have become very active since spring has finally arrived. The leak has slowed somewhat but is still providing a steady stream of water. I don't believe the dam is in any immediate danger but the leak certainly needs to be fixed.

The pond was frozen for an extended period of time this winter which may have caused some soil shifting.

The pond doesn't have a drain valve so I'm told that it will costs $5K to have someone drain the pond. Obviously my first hope is that I don't have to drain the pond. In searching the internet I found a product called PondSeal that apparently has pretty good reviews and can be used without draining the pond. The leak hasn't caused the pond to recede at this point; but this is probably because the springs that feed the pond are pretty active at this time of the year.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or guidance.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I can do Bull Run Mountain. I know the area well. The good thing for ponds in this whole area is that a lot of areas dont perc -- bad for new home builders.

$5000 to drain the pond in pretty extreme. You can rent or buy a high volume trash pump for a small fracton of that.

Right now may be a difficult time to keep the pond level low enough to work the area causing the leak. My ponds are several inches above full pool, as the ground remains close to saturated. They are flowing pretty well. The repairs must be done from inside the pond. It could be as simple as having muskrats or crawfish living inside the dam.

I should be able to visit in the next 30 days. You can PM me with your approximate schedule and I'll see what we can do.

Ken

Edit. Mike Otto, who posted above, literally wrote the book on building and repairing ponds. He recently wrote an excellent pond construction/maintenance/repair book called "Just Add Water". Besides having incredibly great info, I keep my copy on the coffee table for guests to look at because of all the fantastic photos. The book is available here through the website.

Last edited by catmandoo; 04/08/15 09:08 AM. Reason: Adding note about Otto.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday