Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
hello everyone,
I am so excited that I accidentally ran across this site. As far as I can tell it is EXACTLY what I have been looking for since early last fall. I just had a pond dug last fall. I had an area in my yard that was constantly wet from an underground spring, so my wife and I decided to dig a pond. It was mainly to be for the scenery and for my yellow lab to play in, but with the addition of our first grandchild, it is now going to be for fishing (for him of course - ok maybe grandpa will have to supervise every now and then) and as a swimming hole. So without any real advise (god I wish I had found this site back then) I hired a dozer operator and we dug a small pond, about 1/8 of an acre, maximum depth is about 13 feet. I put in a 4" overflow pipe. and I stood by and watched it fill. I was amazed at how quickly it filled up. Now I am dealing with issues like water quality, vegetation (both in the water and on the banks), structure, stocking fish, and the list goes on and on. I am sure I will have many many questions, and hopefully I will be able to help others as I go on this journey and learn as much as I can. I just want to thank all of you who make up this forum, I have so much to learn, and it sure feels like I have found a home.
Thanks everyone.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Welcome! There's lots of reading on here, and don't forget to take a peek at the archives. There is a post there with a list of acronyms there, and the best of the best posts/threads on specific topics are listed there. It's like a reference guide to pond ownership. But with that said, don't be hesitant to ask questions. What part of Ohio is the pond at? There are a number of Ohio members, maybe one is close to you.

Acronym link http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92442#Post92442

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/01/11 09:34 AM. Reason: added link

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
OP Offline
F
I am in eastern ohio. almost on the border of WV and PA. In the middle of the state.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Great to have you here, firemanjim! I'm probably not terribly far from you, but our geography is still likely pretty different. One thing I'm wondering about in your situation is if you dug the pond around the spring/water source, or if you dug near it and are letting the water run into your pond. The reason I ask is that if the spring is actually inside your pond's borders, you need to be aware that a spring can provide all the water you want when it's running, but if your water table drops, that same spring will now be a siphon that can take much or all of your water away during a dry spell. Just something to consider, though it may not be at all applicable to you.

Why don't you post some pictures of the place, including some pics of your vegetation. The best way to do plant pics is to get a single strand of it that's in good condition, and lay it out on a piece of white printer paper with a quarter or some other well known object in the pic for size comparisons. The folks who know plants will be able to help you determine what you've got and how to deal with it.

As for stocking plans, let us know what sort of fishing goals you have, if you'll be aerating the pond, if you want to consider feeding your fish, etc. so the stocking experts can help you determine what sorts of plans could work in your situation.

We're glad you found the site and look forward to hearing more about your plans!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails