Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
2 members (Rainman, Bobbss), 284 guests, and 147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
We are about to start digging a large trout pond in our front yard near crested butte, Colorado. We are planning for it to be 15 feet at the deepest, with a shallow marshy area surrounding the pond to promote aquatic insect life. I am going to order 80 water dogs from https://www.livewaterdogs.com , 120 paper shell crawfish and 1-2lb leeches from https://www.bestbait.com as a forage base. I will also stock fathead minnows probably. I would much rather have brown trout than rainbow trout, but I don't know how well brown trout will do in a pond. I want these fish to reach massive sizes eventually. Maybe I could do a mixture of brown trout and rainbow trout. Tiger trout sound appealing too. This pond will take up the entire front yard. I will attach a picture of our yard. How many trout should I stock? I would much rather have a few big fish than a bunch of little fish. I am going to stock grass carp too because of how fun they are on an eight weight. I would only do 2 grass carp. Here's a link to the fish hatcheries website. https://www.solitudelakemanagement.com/fish-species-descriptions

Attached Images
IMG_1514.jpg
Hi George, welcome to the forum. Great photo of the yard and mountains but it is difficult to tell how big the pond will be. I am sure if you detailed the area, more people would be able to give you an informed opinion.

O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Beautiful area, George! As Joey indicated, let us know approximate acreage and the experts can help you with numbers.

Welcome to the forum, George, from another Colorado pond fanatic.

We're fortunate on the West Slope to have cool water ponds. Down south of you here by Dolores, we can raise everything from bluegills and largemouths, through yellow perch, to the trout species that tolerate moderate water temps and conditions.

What will be the water source for your pond? Ours fills through an irrigation pipe from the Dolores River, a trout stream. We presently have tiger trout and rainbows thriving along with perch, green sunfish, and bass.

Your idea of crayfish and fatheads seems reasonable. I'm no expert, but I'd include a cool water forage fish such as yellow perch. Even if they stunted, your brown trout and tiger trout would enjoy them. Every trout I've ever cleaned from our pond has had crayfish parts in it. Most are packed with Optimal pellets, and several have been full of chironomid larvae (midge worms). I have no experience with waterdogs; I do believe
those tiger salamander larvae would prey on your fatheads.

Without aquatic plants, your grass carp will need pellets. They absolutely love the easy luxury of eating floating fish food pellets. Stubby Steves has a lure or "fly" that imitates an Optimal pellet.

Once again, welcome. Tell us more about your aspirations. You'll get feedback.

Roger

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??