Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (IND1371, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Sunil, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 751 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#472862 05/29/17 06:12 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I have a new, small pond in East Central Florida. I created a golden sand beach and drilled an artesian well that flows at 38 GPM to keep the pond level.

I cast netted about a dozen 6 to 8 inch mullet from a brackish lagoon and just threw them in the pond about a month ago.

The mullet are a blast to watch. They leap about 2 feet out of the water on occasion and I have seen them take spinach and pellets. They are strong swimmers. I also put about 100 blue tilapia fingerings in there as well.

In the winter when mullet are scarce I like to surf fish with cut mullet. I may just have a fresh bait supply ready to cast net up if needed. I can restock as needed.

Anyone else keep mullet? I would like to hear about your experiences. I may try other brackish species as well such as sheepshead and mangrove snapper.

Last edited by blue_green_spark; 05/29/17 06:37 PM.
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
check out this thread... I don't recall for sure if mullet is one of the species he has
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=303859#Post303859

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks djstauder,
That should keep me entertained cool for hours !!!

L
L
Mullet is one of my favorite species. Thanks for sharing my favorite info.

B
OP Offline
B

We added a dozen Stripped Majorra and a ladyfish we netted yesterday.

Also netted a HUGE mullet, it was so old and beat-up looking I didn't have the heart to keep it. After seeing what BobbyRice has going on (!!!), I am looking forward to having an interesting pond as well. Thinking about a small dock, eventually.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
blueGreenSpark... If my memory serves me... those ladyfish have a terrible smell??? Is that true in your case?

R
RER Offline
R

Tilapia will help but Blue Gill and shiners will increase your food availability for any predators...

If you have an idea of what you want it is best to have a plan and do it in stages...

Last edited by BobbyRice; 08/30/17 10:13 AM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
B
OP Offline
B
Hi Bobby,
I gave them about 50/50 fresh/salt bath for 4 hrs. I saw a majorra yesterday, so I think they are hanging in there so far. The pond is just shy of 1/4 acre and about 8 foot deep at the center and the ladyfish, herons, and osprey are the only predators so far. I see the tilapia fingerlings are growing fast and are making nests already so they may explode. I dont have any minnows or plants yet...was gonna net some minnows this weekend...I see some fantails guppies and mollies in the nearby canal. I would like a couple of mangrove snappers to act like my LMB wink and maybe a few sheephead because I know how to catch them. If I ever get out and catch a slot red or keeper flounder they may go in.

I am an electrical engineer, but in another life I am an aqua culturist raising pompano and cobia

fascinating- Pompano and Cobia farming

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: djstauder
blueGreenSpark... If my memory serves me... those ladyfish have a terrible smell??? Is that true in your case?

I would say they smell like cucumber to me. Barracuda have a similar smell.
Ladyfish are actually good to eat if you "spoon" the flesh out from off the bones and make fish pattys. It's one of those strange secrets you run across from time to time. Some old time pier rat taught me that trick, and well now there it is on youtube...times have changed !

Lady fish are great leapers when hooked..did you catch some?

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I've fished the marshes of SE Louisiana my whole life and have caught plenty while fishing for specked trout. They are fun to catch. Perhaps I'm remembering how needlefish smell???

R
RER Offline
R
I wonder if you don't have a tad bit of salt , how close is your pond to the coast, do you have a little salt water intrusion in the aquifer near you?

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
RER #473755 06/08/17 11:12 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Yeah, the well digger guys said we have a bit of salt, iron and of course rotten egg sulphur, plus I surrounded the pond with dredged up coquina shell from a local mine. We will get some shiners this weekend and I am starting to see minnows...have no idea how they got in there. Nature finds a way !!!

The bluefish idea was cool, I have caught them in a very fresh water canal near here. One of those may have a better chance than a surf blue...there is always the beer batter/hot oil bath if it doesn't work out.

R
RER Offline
R
Perhaps some sort of structure also.

B
OP Offline
B
Update:
I decided to harvest a few tilapia for a crispy dinner last weekend so I threw some pellets and followed up with a cast net. Up comes a 1.5 ft big ole mullet with some nice 1 lb tilapia. I wasn't totally sure the mullet survived because the pond is muddy with all the summer rain and tilapia are frequent jumpers too. I added two mangrove snapper a month ago but I have not seen them yet and no noticeable reduction of baby tilapia. Pond is ready for bass and cats and pompano season is approaching. I feed twice a day with Tilapia Ultimate Growout Pellet and also sinking rabbit food so they can forage at their leisure. Kingfishers, egrets, and osprey are picking off some of the tilapia.

We love the sandy beach and the paddle boat is a blast !!!
This new little pond is a sort of a dream come true for us and just a great place to relax and forget all the craziness for a while !

B
OP Offline
B

The pond stocker folks came by yesterday. Unfortunately I couldn't be there but I asked my sweetheart to make a video of the release. When she sees anything cute she goes into her "baby voice", grin

So 30 FLMB and about 35 CC join the party.

Now I am thinking about a 60-100 gallon natural (outside)aquarium with a bass, a few big crayfish, a tilapia and a sunfish.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What a gorgeous setting! It looks like you're on Gilligans Island

R
RER Offline
R

The beach really is awesome looking.

what all is in the pond now?

RER #479194 08/29/17 11:09 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Hi Bobby,
IN our 0.2 acre, 8-9 foot deep pond I believe we have:

*2 Dozen larger Mullet (they are thriving, eating pellet)
*One Mangrove Snapper (the smaller one of the two only lasted a few weeks, probably because of my rough handling and I saw that he ended up as lunch for a racoon)
*Maybe one Ladyfish, (haven't seen it in weeks)
*One adult Shellcracker (released by me)
*Hundreds or more Blue Tilapia of all sizes (at least 100 are full adults)
*Lots of Mosquitofish, a few fantail guppies
*A few Majorra, maybe (hard to be sure how many are left). They appear to eat pellets
*30 2-3" LMB
*35 CC
*Lots of crayfish (the pond is adjacent to a hydric maple stand)

I took your advice and added some structure (a large rockpile) and I think I can add-in a maple tree branch as well. The only fish I plan on adding now would be maybe some sheepshead. They would look cool. Possibly a few dozen shiners as well. In retrospect do think the pond is probably too small for reds, snook or flounder.....I doubt I will loose too many tilapia over the winter if any..just don't know yet...but man, are they ever prolific and great on the table! I expect the snapper, ladyfish and eventually bass and catfish will keep them in check. In a few years if the bass appear stunted, I'll start pulling them out... but for now they got lots and lots to eat.

B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: djstauder
What a gorgeous setting! It looks like you're on Gilligans Island

Thanks djstauder! That's the feeling we are going for.

R
RER Offline
R
shiners would help I think.

Last edited by BobbyRice; 08/30/17 10:10 AM.

B
OP Offline
B
I went down to the bait shops near the famous for big bass "Stick Marsh" in Felsmere to get shiners. The first shop said if you are stocking you want wild shiners. I appreciated their advice. The second place had lively wild shiners and he said instead of $12/dozen he'd only charge 10 and said lots of people stock ponds with his fish so I went for 5 dozen. So they were about 4" on average and went in yesterday.
I looked for some this morning, didn't see any dead shiners and took some video of a tilapia super highway into some shallows.

B
OP Offline
B
Well my pond overran it's banks and joined the nearby swamp. Usually when I toss food in there it's an explosion....now nothing. Saw a large mullet swimming down my driveway....
[img]https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...amp;oe=5A545E44[/img]
I am bummed, have no power (92 Deg. in the house), lost my gazebo screens and roof shingles but you know there are many who would love to have my problems...
Thanks IRMA. mad
Still, I am bummed....guess I am a true pond freak. shocked

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Condolences

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
OP Offline
B
Plenty of Tilapia swarming around despite the pond overflow. Also see some bass stalking around, some shiners, channel cats. The storm brought in a snapping turtle and a few unwelcome walking catfish.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday