Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,927
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, gautprod, Tinylake, Knobber, Groundhog7, Jward87), 1,075 guests, and 209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#181212 08/31/09 12:47 PM
D
dogpond Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
D
Hello All, sorry for the blurry images.
These fish are in the 2yr old pond.
Fish 1 is always the same size, 4 - 6 inches.
Fish 2 is usual small like the image, 4 inches
but I caught a 13" one the other day also.

Thanks for the info.

Fish 1

Fish 2

dogpond #181216 08/31/09 01:03 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Fish #1 looks like a Green Sunfish

Fish #2 looks like an underfed Largemouth Bass.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

dogpond #181217 08/31/09 01:06 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
1 = GSF (Green Sunfish) or possible HBG (hybrid bluegill)= GSF X BG

2 = LMB (largemouth bass)

ewest #181229 08/31/09 01:51 PM
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I vote pure GSF for contestant #1 and purely hungry LMB for contestant #2.

Walt Foreman #181292 08/31/09 08:49 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
#1 could be a malnourished warmouth.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I think you can see a lot of the 'green' in the fist pic.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a warmouth with that greenish hue.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Sunil #181325 08/31/09 10:21 PM
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
#1 is a GSF as sure as JHAP is the leader of their evil empire.

Walt Foreman #181348 09/01/09 12:20 AM
D
dogpond Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
D
Thank you all for the replies. I tried to catch more today
for some better pictures but nothing was biting - weird cloudy cool weather today.

I spoke with the local fish farm today, told me to stock the pond once it is full again. He recommended 300 blue gill, 5lbs minnows (didn't say what type) then when I wanted - 30 bass and 75-100 black crappie. He also told me to trap (or otherwise get rid of) the mud cats, I didn't ask and I do not know why. I am sure it is pond fish 101, but can someone please explain? Also, selection he recommends sound good for 1AC pond in south Texas?
My goal is to have fun fishing and a clean pond.

Thank you.

dogpond #181350 09/01/09 01:09 AM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Hey dogpond, thanks for posting... I am far from an expert but I'll give you my recommendations if I was in your shoes.

First, check the forum archives(if you need help on how, just ask) and search for information on crappies. I think you will find, they may not be the best option in a 1 acre pond. They spawn before LMB, in very large numbers and can make a real mess of a small pond. There are ways to work with them in a smaller pond, but it takes a lot of management.

If you have green sunfish already present, I am assuming the photos you posted are fish from your pond, and you also have bass present you may want to consider certain stocking methods. How many bass have you stocked already? The green sunfish or GSF as we often call them on here can be problematic, depending on your goals.

If you already have bass and GSF, you probably wanna skip the minnows which are most likely fathead minnows or FHM. Once you post how many if any bass you've already stocked a better idea of how many if anymore should be stocked.

It sounds like you're looking for some fun fishing, but trophies aren't high on the priority list. If this is the case, stocking more bass than normal and fewer bluegill(BG) than normal may achieve this. You'll grow a bunch of fun to catch 10-12" bass, and bunch of nice size 8" plus BG while you're at it. Some great eating too!

Mad cats, which are also known as bullheads can be problematic. However, if you stock more bass than normal, they will really help control their numbers and actually allow you to grow some very nice sized ones. It's important to keep their numbers down as they can muddy your pond water substantially and make it hard for the bass to prey on them efficiently.

Let us know what your thoughts are so we can help you reach your goals... There are some very knowledgeable guys on here who are more than willing to help!

CJBS2003 #181381 09/01/09 04:39 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Sunil, I was strictly looking at mouth size.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Dogpond, put me in for everything CJ recommended. Crappie are the worst thing you could ever do to a pond, as a rule; there have been limited instances recently in which one pond management company that as far as I know doesn't do work in TX, has had success with them, but they are very experienced; most people who stock crappie in a pond are going to end up with thousands of 3-4" crappie you can see through. So just based on that, the local fish seller is not probably the best source of advice for your pond.

Edit note: meant to write "experienced", not inexperienced, as in they know how to do it and someone who hasn't done it probably shouldn't try it. Also, the ponds it has worked for for them, have been managed solely for crappie; every other species is going to take a hit in quality I would venture.

Also, everything CJ said about GSF complicating your stocking efforts, is true, and important. You need to make sure you stock fish at least 4" long or the GSF will simply eat them all, bass or otherwise. And you're going to need to stock good numbers of bass to get the GSF under control; they can be a big problem.

Last edited by Walt Foreman; 09/01/09 11:27 AM.
Walt Foreman #181440 09/01/09 11:15 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Walt Foreman
#1 is a GSF as sure as JHAP is the leader of their evil empire.

Evil empire has such ugly connotations We prefer the term "Valiant protectors of the Magnificent GSF."

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
jeffhasapond #181445 09/01/09 11:28 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
dogpond, don't be brain washed by the experts on this site. Embrace the dark side. Praise the almighty GSF for blessing you with their presence.

Dare to be different. Realize the hidden potential of this miracle species. Grow your GSF to 1+ pound fighting machines and feel them crush a lure on an ultra light rig and bend the pole into submission. You will feel as though you have been touched by a higher power, blessed with the presence of a truly superior fish.

These unworthy blasphemers know not of what they speak. They blindly follow expert opinion and scientic fact. Stand against the masses with pride and honor. Join an elite group that know the value of the unloved and unappreciated GSF.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
jeffhasapond #181451 09/01/09 11:39 AM
W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Resist the dark side, dogpond. It will bring you nothing but heartache and grief.

Walt Foreman #181462 09/01/09 12:33 PM
D
dogpond Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
D
Thank you all, some BG on the pond:
It is 2 years old, dug out from a watershed area, not a previous pond. Last year the pond lost most of it's water, only the deep pools survived the winter. The previous owner had thrown some fish into it, probably bait and some goldfish. So all the fish including the dancing mudcats (things go nuts when ya feed'em) have magically made their way to the pond or other things I am unaware of have happened. The previous owner swears he never put LMB in it. Told me he did not want them and was shocked when I told him I caught a few.

I like fishing for (and eating!) crappie, but that was in lakes - I kinda get the idea of what you guys are saying they might do to such a small pond.

I have another topic going on this site about expansion of the pond. This is happening now and once we connect the expansion to the old pond I expect some big changes. This might have an affect on the numbers of fish in the pond. I do not believe however that I could drain the pond and start over, I would prefer to just work with what I have and take advice from this board.

I liked the idea of a small bass, like a white bass for fun fishing. I am getting the idea that fish farms do not stock or perhaps I would not want to pay for some "other" types of bass? So I assume you are telling me to maybe overstock a few LMB for active fishing and the overstocking and perhaps pond size will keep them smaller (less food available?) I would like to achieve active fishing, and I do not need trophies - your are exactly right CJBS. I would be satisfied catching 2-4lb fish with a lure a couple years down the road.

The mudcats were fun to watch this summer - they would swim in a collum - a giant black mass in the pond. There must be hundreds of them though when I saw the spawn, lil mudcats on the shoreline, they did not seem to last too long - snakes and birds took care of them. When I catch the mudcats should I not be putting them back?

Here is something else I learned as a new pond owner - I HATE those birds (cranes?) that walk the shore and eat MY FISH!!
I know not to harass them, but I do give them ugly looks.
stupid birds. At night I sit all my dogs down, we have 10 of them. We have a long discussion about how there will be no punishment for escaping the back yard fence, going to the pond and "takin care of business". Unfortunately my pups are too fat and lazy to be good hitmen. I would have to somehow tie a bowl of quality kibble around the birds neck.

I have seen the GSF Assoc in action here on the forum in just my few weeks or lurking, it is evil indeed.
There is not too much vegetation in the pond (no FA either!) so I think so far the dark force is limited to a few sectors
in my rebel pond. I will not throw those back that I catch from now on...

dogpond #181515 09/01/09 04:13 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
If you go bass heavy, you'll have plenty of bass in the 1 to 2 pound range. A few may get to 3 or maybe 4 but that would be far and few between.

Mudcats are interesting fish, and if you like them keeping your pond bass heavy will help control the mudcats. I would also highly recommend that every one you catch you keep...

You can certainly harass the herons. If you do, they may very well decide to get dinner somewhere else. Legally, you obviously cannot shoot them or hurt them. But harassing them to keep them away from your pond, I'd highly encourage it!

CJBS2003 #181525 09/01/09 04:44 PM
D
dogpond Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
D
Thanks CJBS - I like all of your ideas. Cleaning a bunch of 1.0 - 1.5lb cats sounds like too much work. Ideas for those?
After the expansion I will know the true size of the pond and I will check in to tweak the first stock before I order.

I don't want to get too involved with the GSFA, but shouldn't the GSF logo actually be green (and with fish)?

dogpond #181533 09/01/09 05:02 PM
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Nice! I like the new GSF logo! HAHA

As far as mudcats, fertilizer?

CJBS2003 #181671 09/02/09 10:52 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Dang dogpond, that's a great logo!

We tried to keep the logo simple and with symbolic meaning. The skull hearkens back to the days of pirating in which it was used as a symbol of death. The crossed swords represent the unity of strength of that members of the GSA have, a fierce few not afraid to defy the masses and fight for their cause. The blood on the sword reminds the heretics that we are not afraid to spill the blood of blasphemers.

Plus we had a limited budget since we were spending most of our funds on weapons research and development, adult beverages and whatnot.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

jeffhasapond #181737 09/02/09 06:28 PM
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Welcome, Dogpond, but as a fingerling I must caution you about the GSA. Yes, the logo is appealing, and the fine verbiage that spews from its president has seduced and beguiled many an inexperienced pondmeister, but you have to remember at the end of the day that these are GREEN SUNFISH we're talking about......need I say more?

jeffhasapond #181740 09/02/09 06:54 PM
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
Dang dogpond, that's a great logo!

We tried to keep the logo simple and with symbolic meaning. The skull hearkens back to the days of pirating in which it was used as a symbol of death. The crossed swords represent the unity of strength of that members of the GSA have, a fierce few not afraid to defy the masses and fight for their cause. The blood on the sword reminds the heretics that we are not afraid to spill the blood of blasphemers.

Plus we had a limited budget since we were spending most of our funds on weapons research and development, adult beverages and whatnot.

I smell a new T-Shirt at this year's conference.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Theo Gallus #181795 09/03/09 12:09 AM
D
dogpond Offline OP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
D
T-Shirt? I think Jeff might be in the middle of a manifesto.
Just hope he is not in a small cabin on his pond.
JHAP I can email you the logo so you can have an image without the red washed out by the picasa image hosting service, just let me know. I wouldn't feel right using it as I do not expect to do much in the way of helping the GSF in my pond.

I am posting at midnight as I have been working on the expansion of the pond most all day. I am putting pics on my other post

Dang this is a lot of work, but the thought of stocking the full pond keeps me going.

Yolk Sac #181803 09/03/09 05:34 AM
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
 Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
... but you have to remember at the end of the day that these are GREEN SUNFISH we're talking about......need I say more?

No you need not. The discussion of such a miraculous species is akin to a finding an as yet undiscovered Shakespearean Sonnet. One day all of you heretics will look back on my writings and realize that I was correct all the while and that you should have appreciated me for the renaissance-like genius that I have exhibited on these forums and you will realize that I truly am a legend in my own mind.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

jeffhasapond #182528 09/08/09 05:57 PM
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Fish 1 is a hybried bluegill

Fish 2 like posted before is an underfed LMB

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction