Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,105
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
11 members (FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Treeguy27, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler), 724 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#16844 04/18/07 10:46 AM
N
NWBUCK Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I have a small pond that the fish population has decreased significantly over the last five years. Let me give you the history of the pond first.

* Pond was built in 1982 in northwestern Ohio
* Pond is approximately 1/2 acre of surface water and is 13 feet deep at the deepest point.
* Pond is well constructed with stone and sand all around the edge to eliminate wash out.
* Pond has never had structure for the fish
* Pond is fed with downspout runoff from the house and well water that is discharged from two Geothermal heat pumps. Pond is constantly full of water even in the middle of summer.
* Pond was stocked 1983 with Large mouth bass, Blue Gills (not hybrid blue gills)and Channel cat.

Over the years this pond has had an excellent balance of fish. Bullgill over running a pond is very typical problem around here. But this pond has not had that problem. There have been weed problems on and off throughout the years. They were always managed with copper sulfate. After one particularly bad year with the weeds, I decide to add some grass carp. The local fish hatchery recommneded two grass carp for this size of pond. With the weeds as bad as they were, I decided that I would add twelve grass carp to accelerate the weed removal. The grass carp were about 8-9 inches long. In October I took twelve home and placed the bag in the beach area of the pond to let the water temperature balance out a little before I released them. I went into the house for a short time. When I returned I noticed some very large bass up close and looking at the bag of grass carp. Well you know what happened, as soon as I turned them loose it was a feeding frenzy. I called the fish hatchery guy up and I told what had happened. He said that he was going to drain a couple ponds, and he would bring larger grass carp over to me that the bass could not eat. What he brought were ten grass crap about twenty inches long and two that were close to thiry inches.

They were placed in the pond in 1998, and they certainly have taken care of the weeds. But, I feel that they have caused the fish population problem. I don't think that they eat fish. What they do is swim up around the banks and shallow areas and inadvertantly destroy spawning nests with their tails. They are so large that the blue gills and the bass cannot force them away from their nests. I didn't notice fewer fish until about five years ago. This makes some sense that I didn't notice a problem right away. If you thing about it, there would be fewer and fewer fish successfully spawning each year. Eventually the older ones die off, and there are fewer younger ones to take their place. This problem would only accelerate with the grass carp growing larger and more destuctive due to their size. This is just my theory, and I am not sure that they are the problem.

One final thing that you might be thinking about. The Channel cat are not the problem. Nearly all of them have died off from old age. They evidently did not spawn well in our pond and the original ones are all gone now.

If removing the grass carp is the first plan of action. What would be the best way of removing them? They spook easily and I have never gotten them to bite on anything on a hook. Once they are out of there. Do I restock or let the bluegills and the bass that are still in the pond bring back the population?

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments. I am new to this site, and if this type of problem has been discussed at lenght before I apologize.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Welcome to the forum, NWBUCK. As grass carp get bigger, they don't do as good a job of eating vegetation.

I would say that removal of them will be a good first step in the right direction. You can always stock more down the line.

As far as removal, there's no great way. Some people shoot them and some people bow-hunt them. Others have had some success catching them with worms, lettuce, tomatoes etc.

Unless you make good spawning structure for Channel Cats, they usually won't spawn, so you're probably right on there.

Do you feed your fish? If so, and if the grass carp will eat the feed, you might have success in catching them with a sturdy rod & line using a imitation pellet fly/lure.

In parallel, or after the grass carp removal, you can try and do some fish population assessments by fishing, trapping, or seining.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Lunker
Lunker
A dozen large GC in 1/2 acre is a lot of Grass Carp.

To remove most of them you will probably have to use assorted methods, because they are fairly wary after one of their kind has been messed with. I have hooked several and landed one on worms; IIRC someone successfully used cherry tomatoes as bait for GC.

They should be attracted easily to pelleted fish food (especially since I bet yours are hungry, from the description) and then shot with gun or bow at close range. I think if I were trying to elimininate them through angling I would keep a 12 gauge handy and shoot them rather than trying to land them. Once they get 5 feet or so from the fisherman, they seem to realize there's a problem and all their available power gets used fighting the line.

As many ideas as you get here, try them all and report back on effectiveness.

WRT restocking or not after reducing the GC - the BG and LMB in the pond would be able to bring both populations back up to chock full, assuming they are not way out of balance. OTOH, you may want to freshen your gene pools with new stockers, or add other species like RES or HSB at that time. "It all depends upon your goals."

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Lunker
Lunker
NWBuck, welcome to Pond Boss.

The elimnation of the weeds as cover for the YOY (young of the year) fry are probably to blame for the reduced densities of fish, the YOY simply no longer have any cover to hide in to escape predation from the larger fish.

Probably the best way to remove the Grass Carp (GC) is with a bow and arrow.

IMO once the vegetation returns you will see higher densities of fish in your pond, your existing LMB and BG should be fine in re-populating the pond.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails