Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc, Mike28
18,440 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,782
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
8 members (FishinRod, 4CornersPuddle, BackyardTrout, catscratch, Bill Cody, anthropic, Bigtrh24, Sunil), 756 guests, and 187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#485816 02/03/18 08:24 PM
M
matija Offline OP
OP Offline
M
hello my name is matija im from montenegro an d i had an idea to make pond 150 square meters with depth from 0,5 to 2 meters and stock it with carp,bleak,Common rudd and european perch .and i was wondering will this species get along and breed in this enviorment.

M
matija Offline OP
OP Offline
M
i can also stock mosquito fish

M
matija Offline OP
OP Offline
M
and pumkinseed

M
matija Offline OP
OP Offline
M
how to make pumkinseed and perch grow bigger and faster

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I personally have no experience with any of those fish or your area. It is my experience that fish that exist locally in streams or lakes will adapt to impoundments like ponds.

Welcome to Pond Boss

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
P
P
Welcome to pond boss
I also am not familiar with your area or climate but with all fish they have to eat. So find a high quality fish food and feed them and I'm pretty sure they will grow. Keep us posted on how they do

Online Content
matija, welcome to the Pond Boss forum! I just spent some time on Wikipedia reading about your country, Montenegro; your language(s), Montenegrin and others; your fish species of interest, Common Rudd, bleak, and European perch. Those are not found "just anywhere" here in the USA. We do have plenty of carp and black bullheads.

I'm no expert, by any means, but it seems that you would have some good luck combining the perch as predators, with the bleak and the rudd as forage fish. The rudd get too big at 1.2 kilos for the perch to eat, but the perch certainly could eat the young rudd. The perch could overpopulate and stunt; your small pond could be easily fished hard to remove enough perch to prevent this stunting.

Can you cover the bottom of your pond with gravel as the Germans do when raising carp? Unless you can do this, I think carp and black bullheads would stir up the bottom mud so much that other fish could not see well enough to find enough food and then would grow slowly. With a gravel-bottomed pond and clear water, you could feed high-quality fish food. The carp, bullheads, and perch, and the "minnows", that is those forage fish-the rudds and the bleaks-also would benefit from the food, either by eating it directly, or by eating the plankton population that develops from the nutrients added to the water by the fish food.

In another post, you asked about dealing with the stunting problem of black bullheads. If your pond water is clear and your perch are numerous, the bullheads will get gobbled up when they are tiny, young fry. You also can net them and trap them to reduce their numbers.

Thanks for asking your questions here on Pond Boss. There may not be direct experience relative to all your issues, but this forum has enough accumulated knowledge and wisdom to help you on your journey.

Good luck. Hopefully, one of our resident experts will chime in with some help for you. Can you post any pictures of your land, and tell us more about where on your land you would build this pond?

M
matija Offline OP
OP Offline
M
thank you very much.i cant post the pictures but
my land is like this 20000 square meters with dimensions of 27 meters with 745 meters and one side of 27 meters is on side of a river.

M
matija Offline OP
OP Offline
M
and something else my biggest issue is would that species breed .thats the answer that i cant get and should would wild brown trout breed in pond

M
matija Offline OP
OP Offline
M
and temperatur of water in river is 15 to 18 temperature c

M
matija Offline OP
OP Offline
M
And what do you think about burbot and greyling fish and how to breed them

Online Content
matija, it's highly unlikely or even completely unlikely that brown trout BRNT, will breed in a pond. They seem to need flowing waters.

My experiences with grayling have been few, but very enjoyable. I caught several European grayling in Germany back in the 1970s while stationed there. I've caught arctic grayling in large lakes in Alaska, and in two small lakes, better described as "ponds", in Wyoming.

Both of these Wyoming ponds had natural reproduction occuring in the very small feeder streams immediately upstream from the ponds. One pond was gin clear, rather weedy, also full of tiger salamander larvae (waterdogs), and was uniformly 10 feet deep. The other pond was very murky, possibly only 1.5 acres in size, and weed-free. Neither pond appeared to have any other fish species.

Check out Toppins Lakes near Jackson, Wyoming, and Meadow Lake near Pinedale, Wyoming.

In summer both ponds would stratify. The grayling would come up through the upper 2 or 3 feet of warm water to take a fly off the surface, then plunge back to the deeper water for a wonderful, strong fight. They were very delicious to eat.

Burbot are a real pest and a problem for fisheries management in Flaming Gorge Reservoir in Wyoming. They gobble up quantities of more desirable gamefish, feeding at night, deep in the water column. From what I hear from buddies who have eaten them, they are fantastically delicious.

M
matija Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I thinked about making trout"stream"for trout and grayling to breed and i dont know if burbot would breed

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:23 PM
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by catscratch - 03/18/24 08:53 PM
Pond needs help!
by Falcons_King - 03/18/24 06:31 PM