Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
6 members (Shorthose, Theo Gallus, esshup, JasonInOhio, Foozle, Bruno616), 863 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
tlh2865 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
So, first post here on the site after doing a lot of reading over the past couple of weeks. I wanted to get some opinions. from people who know way more about this than I do.
I have been a fisherman for as long as I can remember, and have always wished I could have my own pond. Well, that dream as become a reality, kind of. On my recently acquired farm in central Virginia, there has been a large wet spot for as long as anyone can remember. In point of fact the spring feeding it is marked on the original plat of the property from the mid 1800s. A small pool was dug for the spring to see if it filled. After this pool filled up a larger pool was dug, and now I have two "ponds" I say "ponds" because one is probably 10' x 15' and 3' deep, and the other is 30' x 20' and 4.5' deep. Temperatures from the spring water average about 60-70 in the small pond, and 65-75 in the larger My idea would be to put some sort of predatory fish in the larger pond, and use the smaller pond as a source of forage fish. The spring has a lot of water volume, but hardly any flow, so I may need to aerate for oxygen which won't be a problem.

All of that background information for this question: What kind of predatory fish, and what kind of forage fish. Or any other recommendations that you all have.

Thanks in advance!!

T
tlh2865 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Ohh, and as for the purpose of this, it is more just to have, and enjoy the fish more than anything else. Basically just a giant home aquarium.

T
T
Welcome! For your situation I'd say put 1-5 LMB in the larger pond and forage in the other. Why LMB? Because they are easy to source, can become trained easily, and are hardy as far as predatory fish. For forage put both GSH and FHM in your second pond. FHM for when the bass are young and GSH for when they get big and want something big to eat. Try to find feed trained LMB as that is what it will turn into. If you aren't fishing, train them to eat out of your hand.

0.7 acre pond stocked 2020, LMB, PS, YP.
T
tlh2865 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for the info! LMB would be great, certainly easy for me to source. Where would I go about getting the GSH?

T
T
Most hatcheries have them. Should not be difficult to find GSH or a similar species.

http://www.zettsfishhatchery.com/id53.html

Found this hatchery for you. I don't know how close it is to you but they have "silver shiners". Those should work for you.

Reading through I found it quite funny that they recommend stocking BH in every pond but don't supply HBG because they aren't all they're cracked up to be.

Just a warning, don't listen to this website, listen to pond boss. After all, what hatchery has BH and GSF?

Attached Images
Screenshot_20170923-065632.png
Last edited by ThePondDragon; 09/23/17 07:03 AM.

0.7 acre pond stocked 2020, LMB, PS, YP.
When resources are extremely tight, simpler food webs are better. I would practice put-grow-and-take omitting use of a forage species. The transfer of energy and mass from forage to predator would result in less harvestable fish. In my area the default fishable species would be Spotted Bass as they are very good at taking advantage of allochthanous inputs (forages that fall in from outside pond). Smallmouth Bass I am not so sure about in that capacity and Largemouth Bass are inferior to Spotted Bass.

Another option is to use only a hybrid sunfish with very low fertility. Best of those hard to find on the market.

The option that would be most fun to me is to stock with a panfish of the sunfish family that can reproduce. Pumpkinseed, Warmouth, Green Sunfish, and Flier all can work for this. You are likely to see reproduction, feeding behavior, territoriality and even a little angling fun for stunted fish small kids would love. I have had small ponds prone to fish kills that still support Warmouth and Fliers quite well. It is fun to stake out lawn chair space near nesting habitat where all but the Flier can provide entertainment 5 months of the year. These guys can be feed trained in pond and you might be able to promote inputs from night flying insects by using a bug zapper.

Aquaculture
Cooperative Research / Extension
Lincoln University of Missouri
T
tlh2865 Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Certainly makes sense that cutting out as much of the middle man as possible so to speak would be the most efficient usage of resources. That in point of fact was my original intention, to try letting the system sustain itself, without my input. I just figured, that if I could provide a forage species on top of what nature would already provide for me, that I could achieve the best of both worlds

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM