Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M
18,498 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,945
Members18,499
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
5 members (Theo Gallus, Lake8, KenHorton, Dave Davidson1, FishinRod), 1,099 guests, and 462 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
TSK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have a small pond on my property. I thought the pond was 1/10 of an acre using the county areal map but checked it last night on the planimeter site and I'm getting a size close to double that. The pond has been there for 40 years and is well established with bugs, leeches, salamanders and similar things. There also seems to be plenty of submerged logs and branches but as far as I can tell little in the way of plants. Pond gets deep fast (IMO) and gets to at least 12 feet. I'm basically looking for some fun fishing for my kids here.

To be on the conservative side, let's assume the pond is 1/10 of an acre for now. I can always adjust later. I plan to feed (maybe not with a feeder, but on a basically regular schedule). I have dumped in four pounds of FHM and about 50 HBG already. I was also planning on getting some CC. Maybe 15 of them. Does that seem reasonable? From what I've read I may want to stick in a single bass to take care of any offspring. Is there anything else I should consider?

From what I've read, I may get discouraged from putting in the CC as they may get hook shy, but my kids are pushing for em.

Thanks.

Edit: Here's a pic of the areal of the pond.

Attached Images
Pond.jpg
Last edited by TSK; 04/29/11 09:16 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I would plan on CC eventually reproducing and having small CC if only 1 LMB is present. Mature CC have the urge to merge and will create cavities in the bank walls maybe underlogs for spawning. My main concern for the long term success of the fishery is winterkill.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
T
TSK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Right now it's vacant land, but I was strongly considering an aerator when I have power available on the property.

How many LMB would be ideal then? If I do more than one I'll have to try to figure out what sex they are which could be challenging smile.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
TSK

How deep is your pond? You want to ensure winterkill potential is limited prior to stocking your babies and really investing.

Have you considered establishing a HBG, SMB, YP fishery? If you continue stocking forage and get some adult GSH going you would have a unique fishery established. HBG will not pose an overpopulation risk and will provide an aggressive species for the kids to catch, and your YP can serve as table fare. Your SMB won't likely spawn unless you have plenty of rocky substrate areas or build them. I would recommend against it, and simply periodically stock to replace morts. Just an option for your to consider.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

T
TSK Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I need to do a better job of mapping the pond depth to be certain exactly how deep it is. I've found some spots 12 feet not trying very hard. I was told originally when I posted to this forum the pond should be something like 7 feet over half its area to avoid winter kills. I think it's probably close to that but I would have to more accurately map it to be certain.

If I understand the advantages of SMB are they will not tend to spawn? I hadn't really looked into them much honestly. My kids really want some catfish so I'll put some in regarless. Although I think they can survive in the pond without upsetting much.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:31 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 10:04 AM