Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,954
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
6 members (ewest, Drago, Shorthose, TSan06, phinfan, DrLuke), 1,446 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#165661 05/28/09 02:10 PM
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
I called Tyler Fish Farm today to find out when I can get some F1 and Florida Bass from them. He's taking care of the customers that bought their bait fish from him first before he'll know if he has any left over. I'm in Texarkana, AR and bought my CNBG, RES, and FH from the trucks that deliver here. Since they don't have the F1 or Florida strains, I wanted to get those from Tyler since it's the closest hatchery I've located.

Is anyone in Northeast Texas planning to get an order of fish from them in the next couple of weeks? I would like to get 250 F1, 250 Florida, and 30K FH if possible.

I talked with Todd Overton and he will sell them to me, but that is a long drive if I can avoid it.

Thanks.

Last edited by TwoLakes; 05/28/09 02:11 PM.

Must Grow Fish!!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
How far are you form little rock? We will be picking up f1 and fla there week of June 8th. Also you may be abel to pick directly with hatchery no idea if they sell to public or just us dealers.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
I've been there a few times and it's where I bought my fish. Bob is really nice and seems very fair in his dealings. He doesn't take plastic, so make sure to bring cash. I learned that the hard way on my first time there. Now I show up with cash.

Be sure to get directions. He's kind of remote. You can get there from Interstate 20, or State Highway 64. I always go there from 64 since it's so much easier to find the place. Then when I leave, I go up to Interstate 20 to get home since it's the fastest route. How to find his place from the Interstate is just too complicated to deal with for me.

Be sure to drive a car. He makes a big deal about how you will transport them home. I'm only half an hour from there, and he still wants the engine running and the AC on when it's warm out. It's always warm out.

I've always just showed up to get what I want. I never called or placed an order. It might be that I've been lucky, or he sells what he has to those who show up and get them first.

I sure wish he raised Tilapia.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Greg,

What fish hatchery are you talking about in Little Rock? I'm about 2.5 hours from the South side of Little Rock and could probably make it up there that week. If I can't get them from the hatchery, I would be happy to meet you somewhere and get them from you.

Thanks,
Keith Johnson

Must Grow Fish!!
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Eddie,

Thanks for the information. I'm sure Bob is a nice guy, but he's not real interested in selling me fish because I didn't get my bluegill and fatheads from him. He said I could call back at the end of June after his regular customers have their fish, but I'm concerned that he might sell out and I'll be out of luck.

Funny thing is, I have a 10 acre lake to stock and I could become a regular customer.

I was hoping someone in Northeast Texas was getting a bunch of fish and I could piggy back on their order.

BTW, I read a lot of your posts over on TractorByNet. I enjoyed your creating the lake thread and used some of your ideas when I built mine.

Must Grow Fish!!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
twolakes thee are tosn of hatcheries in lonoke, ar. Just look at it on goggle earth. Malone fish hatchery. I have been delyaed in gettign fish because only place I coudl get fla, f1 and northern at sametime. That is projected date but if interested flip me your contact email/phoen and I will get you price and details of where to meet. THey will haul just fine in bags.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
 Originally Posted By: TwoLakes
I called Tyler Fish Farm today to find out when I can get some F1 and Florida Bass from them. He's taking care of the customers that bought their bait fish from him first before he'll know if he has any left over. I'm in Texarkana, AR and bought my CNBG, RES, and FH from the trucks that deliver here. Since they don't have the F1 or Florida strains, I wanted to get those from Tyler since it's the closest hatchery I've located.

Is anyone in Northeast Texas planning to get an order of fish from them in the next couple of weeks? I would like to get 250 F1, 250 Florida, and 30K FH if possible.

I talked with Todd Overton and he will sell them to me, but that is a long drive if I can avoid it.
Thanks.
A trip to Overton's wlll be well worth yur time - I believe he will guarantee 8 hr live fish in O2 bags in boxes.
You can count on his pure Floridas having been certified by TAMU.
He and Tyler fish farm are the only ones providing certifide Florida LMB that I know of, but I better let Todd speak for himself.

Be careful about Arkansas fish farms - some good - some not so good.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

george1 #165790 05/29/09 08:52 AM
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
George,

I certainly can't tell an F1 fingerling from a Florida fingerling so I appreciate the warning. If Greg trusts Malone, I think they're probably safe.

I may end up at Overton's anyway, but someone may chime in here that is close to Texarkana and can get some fish from Tyler Fish Farm. That would be the preferred option.

Who knew that stocking fish could be so complicated. \:D

Must Grow Fish!!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
George arkansas fish trucks make me nervous b/c poor quality after being on the truck for 3-4 days. However many producers there. Many of the fish you buy from midwest suppliers came from Lonoke, AR. Malones is one the largest producers. Yes twolakes getting fish for 42 clients so I would not get them there if I did not trust them.

No big deal to me either way just trying to help out. Tyler or Overton woud provide some excellent fish. Give us a heads up if not worked out otherwise.

Heck anyone else out there that need bass fingerlings between north AR and North GA let us know. We got lots of extra room on the truck with less than 10,000 fingerlings this year.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Hey Greg,

I just got off the phone with Malone and the guy said he didn't have success with his Florida Bass this year so he doesn't have any to sell. You may already have a deal worked out with him to get some, but they're not selling to the general public anyway. I can get the F1s from him without issue.

Just a heads up.

Must Grow Fish!!
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
We have some F1 tigre bass at about 2" size right now and offer special pricing for 1000+ orders. They are a cross between certified pure florida bass and hand-picked feed-trained northern bass.

It's ALL about the fish!
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
twolakes thanks for heads up. They jsut told me last week they had them. Strange way they woudl sell you one and not the other. i will get lowdown asap. Got lots tied up in getting them.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
man what the heck. Todd might see if you can air freight me your florida fingerlings. I will email you. Apparenently they do not have florida bass. They just told me they did the other day. At least they are honest as you say you have no way of knowing when you pickup what you are getting. So two lakes we will not have fla for you sorry.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Sorry Greg,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Malone is the only hatchery in Lonoke that has the Florida Bass that I could find.

Thanks for offering to help a fellow pond owner out.

Must Grow Fish!!
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Todd,

I assume you have the Florida in addition to the F1. If so, how big are they now? I was hoping to put 300 each of the Northern, F1, and Florida. I've already put in 300 Northern, so I'll need 600 total. I'm going to be in Dallas next week and could probably drive down Wednesday after lunch. How long does it take to get to Buffalo from Dallas?

Thanks.

Must Grow Fish!!
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I have both the F1s and the certified Floridas at about 2".

It's a 2 hour drive from Dallas.

We'd be happy to help.

It's ALL about the fish!
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Todd,

Just curious for future needs, what direction from Dallas are you? Thanks. Shawn

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
G
Lunker
Lunker
G
Shawn, since I know that Todd is busier than a one arm paper hanger this morning seining ponds for Saturday fish day, I 'll respond to your question.
Overton Fisheries is located about 100 miles South of Dallas on I45, 17 miles gate to gate from our ranch.
George Glazener

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I have both the F1s and the certified Floridas at about 2".

It's a 2 hour drive from Dallas.

We'd be happy to help.

It's ALL about the fish!
P
Lunker
Lunker
P
Shawn, If it helps it took me 6 hours from Overtons to my place in Edmond OK, just north of OKC, OK. All fish did great.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Thanks George and P. Buckley. That would make it about a 14hr trip for me.

-----------------
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
Update on this thread:

I ended up driving to Buffalo, TX to pick up some fish from Overton Fisheries. I purchased 250 F1 and 250 Florida fingerlings at 2", 10 pounds of large golden shiners, 1000 coppernose bluegill, and 20 pounds of Tilapia. The fish did well on the trip home with only a few morts. Todd credited me for the ones that didn't make it.

I picked up the fish on Wednesday, June 3rd and put them in the pond that evening.

Yesterday, while riding around the edges throwing fish food, I noticed a Tilapia with thousands of fry swimming around. Now, I have Tilapia fry in the pond 12 days after stocking.

I'm impressed with the quality of fish Todd Overton sells and will be doing business with him again in the future.

Must Grow Fish!!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
TwoLakes, sounds like you got the normal treatment from Todd. I only wish he was closer to me so I could use him as well! Sounds like your 10 acre lake is gonna be producing some big boys in a few years...

O
Lunker
Lunker
O
Although we try to treat all clients the same, pond boss forum members get special treatment. Thanks TwoLakes for your report on the fish stocking and tilapia spawning success.

It's ALL about the fish!
T
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
T
CJ,

I'm doing what I can within my budget to have the best fishery possible. I'm just looking to have a fun place to fish for family and guests. I'm hopeful that the information I've gathered from this forum has helped in that endeavor. I certainly appeciate your knowledge of forage fish and your willingness to share.

Todd,

I thought it would be appropriate to give you credit for healthy fish at reasonable prices. Also, I thought you would enjoy the Tilapia spawning success story so soon after release.

Must Grow Fish!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Low Alkalinity
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:13 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:07 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by DrLuke - 04/25/24 01:05 PM