Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,934
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, esshup, teehjaeh57, FishinRod, Brad346, Boondoggle), 848 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
I am in a subdivision with a relatively new 60 acres lake stocked last June with F1 and F2 LMB. We have a new 35 acre pond that is impounding water now and is ready for the initial stocking of forage fish this spring. We plan to do the stocking next month.

I have recieved recommendations to do an electrofishing this May or June of the larger lake, in an attempt to choose the "genetically superior" larger LMB for stocking in the small lake. This will give us a 1 year headstart on the LMB size, but would limit us to F1 and F2 only. The alternative will be to stock the new lake with fingerling LMB, and mix Florida, native, and F1's. This will give a better mix and genetic variety.

Which is the right way to go if our intent is to create a trophy LMB lake in the smaller lake. Can I add Florida fingerlings to the smaller lake later if I add the larger F1's to the smaller lake, or would that be a waste of effort.

Mike
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Bad decision. Build the food chain, first. When you stock larger bass into a lake that hasn't developed its food chain, you lose ground quickly. Those bass will quickly overeat the food chain before it reaches its chance to reproduce exponentially, without predators. Leave the big lake to do what it does, create the food chain for the small lake. Once the small lake fishery begins to mature in three or four years, then you can move some fish over. You need control of numbers of the fish in the new lake, or it will quickly become unbalanced.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Amen !! Develop a mgt. plan for each lake based on your goals. If you want a trophy LMB lake in the smaller one learn as much as possible on the subject first ; then, 1) be sure the water quality is in top condition and keep it there , 2) then create the best forage base you can and be sure to plan for the right size forage at every step, 3) locate the best genetic source for some of each Fla. , Northerns and F1's and plan on under stocking them at 2in. by 30 % ( the % of each type is all opinion - mine is 25% Fla, 45% Nort, and 30% F1 ) 4) get help early as one person who is not a full time pro lake mgr. can not do all that is necessary to manage that large of a LMB lake (it requires taking out a lot of fish and doing a lot of work on water quality and population mgt and more). Each one of these steps is much easier to write than to understand and carry out. Many pages could be written on each step. A good place to start is this forum, the PB mag and basic pond mgt and raising trophy bass from Pond Boss. There is a lot here on the forum on the topic and a lot of good experienced LMB pond nuts who will be glad to help. You have a great opportunity with your situation to do this right and create an outstanding lake. Good luck and keep us posted.

M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Bob,
I thought the same thing. After our conversation today, I called the developer's stocker, and asked agin for his recommendations for stocking the smaller lake. He again told me he would recommend transfer of the larger "genetically superior" LMB from the larger lake. He confirmed they were F1 and F2 hybrids. I was thinking the same as you, that we should start with fingerlings of F1's, Floridas, and natives you suggested, and let them grow together as the lake matures.
I will follow that advise.

Let me know a god source of Florida's and Natives. I need to make sure we get good stock to strat this project.

Mike
M
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
M
Thanks for the information Ewest. I am going to depend a lot on this forum for information.
I have access to water quality analysis through my work, and plan on using that as a basis for decisions.
I will post here regularly to get advise.

Mike
G
G
Mr. Spinehirn,
I think Mr. Lusk would agree that it is necessary to confirm the genetics of Florida strain LMB before committing to a supplier.

There are many fish re-sellers that cannot verify actual genetics other than word of mouth. I would avoid these suppliers.

Two suppliers that I am aware of that actually hatch and grow-out genetically verified Florida LMB are Todd Overton, owner/operator of Overton Fisheries, whose Florida genetics are verified by TAMU, and Bob Waldrop, owner/operator of Tyler Fish Farms.

http://www.overtonfisheries.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=66

I have dealt with both parties and would highly recommend either or both of them

George Glazener

N.E. Texas 2 acre and ¼ acre ponds if it ever rains again

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Lots of guys will recommend Overton. He does very good work.

If you want a recommendation on Waldrop, look up a guy named Bush in Crawford, Texas.

Other good ones include Harrel Arms in the Dublin area, Paul Dorsett in Bryan, Kenneth Henneke at Halletsville, Ken Hale in Henderson, Malcolm Johnson around Austin. etc.

All of these guys are Pro's that I wouldn't hesitate to use.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
O
Lunker
Lunker
O
I appreciate the guys making those fish supplier recommendations. All of the suppliers mentioned above are professional and do very good work. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to give you a competitive bid on the fish stocking/lake management project should you choose to contact me. We are an hour drive from Montgomery.

This forum has proved itself time and time again to be priceless, because folks who participate are interested in learning as well as sharing their experiences. There is a mutual desire here to help folks do it right the first time...priceless.

It's ALL about the fish!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/23/24 10:22 PM
Concrete pond construction
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:40 PM
Sealing a pond with steep slopes without liner
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 09:24 PM
Need help