Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (anthropic), 750 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Construction starts next month on my bass/bream pond which is going to be 1 1/2 acres.
I'm looking at putting in vegetation for the fish to help with oxygen an survival of fingerlings. My question is will I cause problems if I select plants that are also attractive to ducks? I know ducks can bring in unwanted weeds. The pond will have 3 diffusers.

D
D
I am no plant expert but ducks did bring in Sago pond weed to our pond. If you build the pond the ducks will find it. I have seen ducks that I didn't even know were around our parts show up.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
C
OP Offline
C
Don, thanks for your info. Have you been able to manage the Sago pond weed?

B
B
If you have deep water right near shore perhaps ducks are welcome?

But while they look nice and bring an element of natural beauty they also bring disease, predators, poop, and potentially weeds.

As soon as we see trespassers it's odd but a bottle rocket or roman candle seem to go off and when the smoke clears the trespassers are gone.

PS if you have a dock the ducks and geese WILL poop on it. Sure as the sun rises there will be poop on your dock. So if you've kids, grandkids, etc., you've got that issue.

L
L
Check out Kester's Wild Game Food Nurseries as a source for information and plants. http://www.kestersnursery.com/Wetland%20Plant%27s.htm

C
OP Offline
C
Basslover, I'm planning on 18 inches to 2 feet at shore. I have two chessies who would love to retrieve some ducks. The number one goal is fishing though.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
My ponds are duck friendly. We get dozens to nearly 100 wood ducks coming in at nightfall during the autumn migration. They like emergent plants and I think that burreed and duck potato are favorite foods. We also get a few breeders. Ducks seem to like cover and our ponds have it. We have blue wing teal that also breed near our largest pond. Mallard nests seem to succumb to raccoon predation. Plant it and they will come. I have not had plant or algae problems that give me angst. We occasionally get a couple weeks where the algae is ugly, but then it vanishes. I use a floating dock to access my water, so a natural edge is OK by me.

D
D
Originally Posted By: Chesapeakes
Don, thanks for your info. Have you been able to manage the Sago pond weed?

Yes our pond is young 2012, and we have one plant. It is in our shallow area of the pond that was made for natural plants to show up. Shallow as in 5-8 feet.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
C
C
I got this email in my box today. I had purchased scuds (smaller version of freshwater shrimp than the PK shrimp) from their web page in the past and Kyle is good to work with. I recall someone here wanting to source water celery and saw that on the list. Also 2 varieties of wild rice.

For what it is worth:

========================

WILD RICE SEED for ducks

We are getting our wild rice harvest in and it looks really good...BUT...it is going to be in very limited supply. Due to high water and other weather issues, wild rice seed production is about 1\3 of what it usually is. If you are interested in wild rice seed, we highly recommend to place an order soon to lock it in...when it is gone, then we can not harvest any longer.

We are taking orders now and will start coordinating shipping with you in a week or two as we process the harvested wild rice.

"FALL ORDERS" will be available to ship in a week or two. Only people that have ponds that freeze over should order "fall" rice as it requires cold stratification to germinate. We will contact you to coordinate a shipping time...we will not ship without first confirming a date with you.

"SPRING ORDERS" will be shipped in the spring, but you can place your order now to secure your wild rice seed. People in southern warmer climates (ponds don't freeze over) need to order SPRING rice...unless you want to order fall rice and try to cold stratify it yourself. If you do not secure your spring rice, we can not assure that we will have any left on inventory when spring comes. If you lock it in now, then we will store it over winter and cold stratify it for you so it is ready in the spring.

Here is the website link for more information or to place orders...

http://www.habitatnow.com/store/shop/shop.php?pn_selected_category=19

RECOMMENDED planting rate is 50# per acre in 12-36 inches of water with a "mucky" bottom. * Wild rice DOES NOT require flowing water...that is a myth.
* We do not recommend just planting 10lbs of rice as that is a very low seeding rate. Please try to consider at least 20 to 30 pounds to give it a decent chance.

Also on this website are other waterfowl food sources to consider...
- Sago Pond Weed
- Water Celery
- Freshwater Shrimp
- Smartweed
- Mallard Millet

These are the best food sources for waterfowl. If you have any questions regarding wild rice or other options, please let us know.

Kyle, PLM

N
N
CanyonCreek,got the same email today. +1 - From my personal experience Kyle is a great guy to work with, I've purchased from him over the years, good company. Have yet to buy shrimp, but may in the next couple of years.

Is the "wild rice" the same you can buy at the grocery?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
N
N
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Is the "wild rice" the same you can buy at the grocery?

I don't believe so, as I understand (I'm no expert) the rice bought in a store has been processed and will not grow. I first time I bought was Spring rice, as it had been cold stratified in a pond already. I'll see how the second year goes.

I have seen articles on the web stating seed must be bought from growers and refer to that seed as "live seed".

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails