Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
10 members (Augie, IND1371, dg84s, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Sunil, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 766 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
New to Pond Boss - Am building a 3/4 acre pond and have stacked oak trees in a couple of bays - they are anywhere from 20-36 inches in diameter and 10-15 feet long. Locally I am getting answers all over the board from- "don't worry they will sink" up to "you will need 250 lb. weight for each tree" - now how is that for a wide range of answers? Hoping to get some help here as I don't want to fill the pond and then have the things floating all over the place. The sides of the pond are very steep and anything over about 75 lbs I would have to hire an excavator to place. I can buy blocks locally that weigh 75 lbs. each and have a hole in them that I can get down in the pond myself and run a cable thru. Don't want to overkill here- but don't want floating trees either --can anyone help on this?

thanks !!

F
F
Hi Wayne, and welcome to the forum.

I think the question of how much weight will always be subjective. There are a tremendous amount of variables that can affect it. If the tree is fresh cut, it has a lot of water inside it that will make it easier to sink it. But if it dry, it will definately be more bouyant. I recently weighted a dry pole 10' long and 4" dia with a broken cinder block on each end. As the water rose, the one end still floated. Had to add another piece of block. Another example would be in the old days when they floated logs down rivers and across lakes, bringing them to the mills. These were fresh cut logs and the guys would stand on top of these to move them around. So by that example, they were holding a man of +/-200#. Kind of sounds like what you have. If you can leave a root ball on one end, you can almost be gauranteed that end will sink, but the other end may not.

I have seen pics on here where guys have staked trees down instead of using weight. Check out this link for possible help. Also use the search feature for help. Good luck..........

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=92463#Post92463

Last edited by fish n chips; 08/18/12 07:40 PM.
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Editor, Pond Boss Magazine
Lunker
Anchor them like you would a boat. Tether them to stay in place with boat anchors or screw a mobile home anchor into the ground and lash them to the anchor(s). Over time, they'll sink. Until them, they'll float in place, if they don't sink.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...
J
J
White oak sinks like a rock ,, many lake associations here I'n Wisconsin use them for log cribs I'n structure free lakes. Placed I'n winter they sink when ice goes out. Run around with gps I'n winter to mark and fish them I'n summer.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
If they are freshly cut, I wouldn't use them. Or, at least, test them first for tanins. I loaded my new pond with them about 10 years go with freshly pushed oaks for structure. The water turned black and was lethal for fish. I killed everything I stocked. I finally had to pump it dry and let the summer sun dry the bottom.

To test them: Cut a fresh piece and put it in a bucket of the pond water. If it turns black, let them dry until all of the tanins have leached out.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
F
Hi Dave, I'm curious what happened in your case. Was there any tops, smaller limbs, leaves, roots, with the oak pieces you put in or were they just a big log section? I would be suspicious of tanins staying in the wood even as it dries, and then releasing again when soaked. I kiln dry my own wood I use. It is amazing how the color of the water comes out and is affected by some woods.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Green wood (oaks) sink. I use them all the time. Drive a few stakes and tie them down for good measure.

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
fnc, when the pond was built, a lot of post oaks were cleared. I had them pushed to the bottom which was about 17 ft deep. We got a 2 inch rain and the water turned inky. After another rain, I stocked BG, fatheads and cats. They all died in an hour.

I bought enough chlorine to kill everything in an olympic sized pool. It was still lethal. I had to pump it all dry and let the summer sun dry everything.

I cut a fresh oak limb and put it in a bucket with the pond water as a test. It turned black and I learned my lesson. Lusk tells me that not all water will be affected; depending on the chemical makeup of the water. In my area, I'll never do it again. Your mileage might vary.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday