Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,811
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
5 members (esshup, Fishingadventure, John Fitzgerald, Bill Cody, Waxaholic), 1,116 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
richie Offline OP
OP Offline
R
a friend of mine has an old established pond in s. ohio, he recently built a new pond withen a few hundred yards of the old one. his plan is to drain the old pond into the new one and sein the fish into the new one. my concern is the old pond is great two pounds and up are the average bass caught with my personal best at six pound one ounce, what if any problems could occur, we realy dont want to lose the old pond but he is determined to do this, its his land and i dont have much say ,but we want it to be as smooth as possible with as few deaths as possible. we are trying to do this in the next few weeks, please give me some good pointes or ideas so that i can help with process.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
I'm not one of the experts. Just a rank amateur learning also. Obviously a risk of having both ponds out of balance for a while. I would have been tempted to stock the new one with fathead minnows and bluegill some time before transfering the other fish as I'm guessing that by seining out the fish from the other pond, you'll mainly be transferring the larger fish and not the smaller forage fish they feed upon. Then again, many of the smaller forage fish may flow downstream with the water if he is cutting the dam and it isn't too far (water has to retain some depth + speed and not spread out too much). Pumping/siphoning out the water would better preserve his dam. Is his goal to preserve his fish while he revamps his old pond or just to get his new one off to a flying start?

FWIW: I successfully transferred quite a few fish using a large cattle tank in a pickup truck when I drained one of my ponds. Upon reflection, I'm not sure I did any good as I probably just put the other pond out of balance and over optimal capacity with the introduction of all those. No fish kill, but we're planning to get a bunch back out and have a huge fish fry this year.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Another thing to consider; If your water is fairly warm it's not a good time to be moving fish. You could have very stressed fish and some disease problems, and even some mortality due to moving fish in warm water.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
J
Cecil has one of many good questions I would ask befor " moving the fish and water" How Big is the first lake? How do you plan on moving the water? How do you plan on moving the fish? With the water flow or by seining and transferring by tanks? Yes you do have to move the entire pond (incliding the food chain) with the bass. Will you cause and extreme water turbidity by moving this water to the new pond? Be very careful of the weather forecast when planning this event. Heat, rainfall, cloudy calm conditions ... anything that may cause additional stress to your fish. Does he plan on redoing the first pond? Why not have two!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by FishinRod - 04/19/24 06:16 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?