Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6599 06/20/02 12:04 AM
M
Marty M Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I am digging a 1/2 acre pond, 9 feet deep. It drops a foot per three. What contouring is optimal for fish? I understand a ledge(s) at about 2 feet with gravel is good for spawning. What about verticals, holes etc?
Thanks!

Marty
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
Marty,

What kind of fish do you intend to have in your pond?

I would suggest that you buy "Raising Trophy Bass" from the Pond Boss. I did and it has a very good section about contouring and habitat creation. But in general, mounds & ridges that provide shallower water in deeper water are good. Also, think about sinking several Christmas trees in a bunch.

M
Marty M Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I haven't decided on fish yet. I'm in a good position - the liner isn't in yet so I can still shape the earth and put things in before filling. But the liner comes in next week. Thanks for your comments,
Marty

Marty
J
J
Hi Marty,

I put small crushed limestone about ½" size in my pond at around two to three feet deep for spawning beds, about 4 feet in diameter and 4 to 6 inches thick. If I could have gotten pea gravel by the dump truck load at the time I would have put that in. My Bluegill's love the gravel and will always go to it first but will spawn in the mud if they have to. Its a lot of work and may not be worth it. I hauled the gravel in a wheel barrel around the pond putting it in. I put in a couple of structures for the fish that were made of plastic cloths baskets with the holes in the sides, and I put rocks in one and tied a second to it top to top and sunk it in about 4 feet of water. For a few years I saw Largemouth Bass spawning on top of them. Before your pond fills with water you may want to put in a used tire structure. I took 9 free used tires and tied them in a pyramid shape. Tie 4 tires together standing up in a row and drill holes in the tops and put rocks in the bottom for weights. The tie three tires of top of that in a row and to the 4 bottom tires and drill holes in the tops to let trapped air out. Now tie two tires to the tops of the three but don't drill holes in these so you will have air pockets in the tops holding air. This will keep the whole structure standing up right. Fish love structure and it makes them happy. I also built two stone reefs before the pond filled. I used rocks, field stone, building blocks and tile, and laid it all up with caves and tunnels all through it. These were about eight feet in dia. as I remember.
John

John

A
Lunker
Lunker
A
You may want to increase the amount of area which is shallow areas, if you want to step up fish breeding. Water 9' deep is not of much use to anything, theres little oxygen down there, any eggs that drift into deep water will go to waste...

Fish take to spawning in warm shallow waters, usually among heavy foliage, you may want to create 'bays' and 'beaches' and increase the area of the pond which is shallow and plant them heavily with aquatic plants so there are extensive 'nursery' areas which eggs can hatch in and shelter the small fish from larger fish which would eat them.

On a fish pond, you will find the bulk of the fish in less than 30" depth ot water, when good plant cover is available

Regards, Andy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump