Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,084
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Fishingadventure, PRCS, Dave Davidson1, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015), 767 guests, and 259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#484314 12/19/17 08:04 AM
OP Offline
Unfortunately parts for my Bahco's are getting really hard to find. I'm looking for pole saw replacements, and Jameson and Silky look like good options. I know they're different creatures, one's extendable and one's not, but the quality of the blade head is what's most important to me.

Any of you tree guys have any suggestions about these two, or other brands?

Thanks, Al

AL

T
T
Al, I am most likely the wrong one to ask when talking pole saws, but for what it is worth my non-extendable ECHO has cut at lest a hundred Willow trees down and a few other trees and limbs around the farm and at home. The only problem I have had is keeping the chain sharp. I will have to sharpen it almost every time I use it. It's not a big deal as it only take a few min. I had herd ECHO was a decent brand but I don't know smile

Last edited by TGW1; 12/19/17 08:45 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
F
F
Echo is a top of the line brand now. Equal to Stihl and priced about the same. I owned a small engine repair business for near 30 years and I just bought a Echo heavy duty weed trimmer last year over Stihl and I love it!! Just my opinion

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
OP Offline
Thanks guys. I have an Echo for larger limbs, but use a extendable saw for limbs 2" and below. It's much easier for me to maneuver through multiple limbs.

Flame, I'm right there with you on Echo sticks. I like Stihls for chainsaws and back pack blowers, but not much else.

AL

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I have the Echo PPT 280 pole saw and really like it. I also have the Echo CS590 for my small chainsaw, can’t remember the number for my big chainsaw. I like them all. Thanks.

Bryan

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I was a Stihl fan for many years. Then, I bought one with the snap caps for gas and bar oil. They didn't work. I talked to a repair guy and was told that they had been having a lot of problems with them for the last 3 or 4 years. I called Stihl and they told me to contact their repair guy just North of Dallas. I called and sent the saw", at my expense. He called in about a week and said that the problem was my fault for over filling the bar oil reservoir. He sent it back. I looked at the manual that came with the saw and found no mention of filling or over filling the oil reservoir. I called Stihl again and they refused any further action. So, I now buy Echo. A guy at the local hardware store told me that Stihl comes with a one year warranty and Echo has a 2 year.

And, at least in my case, the 1 year Stihl warranty is useless.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
F
For those of you that don't know, Echo has been around a very long time. I got my start in small engine repair by running the small engine shop for the whole Parks and Recreation Dept. for The City of Houston. A job I held for 8 years before moving to East Texas. This was in the early 70's and we worked on many Echo products even way back then!!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have cut tens of thousands of branches with this (16" blade).

https://www.amleo.com/ars-super-turbo-cut-saw-poles-telescoping-up-to-185-feet/p/VP-EXPXX/

Only one shoulder surgery so far:)

S
S
This will not fit the needs of more serious trimming at all, but for a home owner with just a few branches out of reach, I have had a Ryobi brand 18 volt pole saw for several years now and have cut hundreds of branches with it.

I have a dozen or more other Ryobi 18v tools, so the batteries fitting the saw is a plus for me.

Not fast and not professional grade, but for just over a hundred bucks for the occasional out if reach limb it starts and runs on the first trigger pull every time. grin

As far as brands I used Homelite in the olden days with good success, went to Sthil (and still have one small one), but currently use two Echo saws and could not be happier.

My son still has a two cylinder John Deere branded Echo chain saw from years ago that is kind of a collectors item now. It was a good saw (for its time).

Last edited by snrub; 12/20/17 08:40 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Good morning everyone. I'll chime in with some of my experiences, as I make my living with chainsaws, pole saws, climbing gear, chippers (big), and other exciting, noisy stuff.

Our "go to" pole saw is the Jameson yellow, fiberglass 6-foot pole with 8-foot extension. The blade we like best is sold by Sherrill Tree under their brand. I get the 8-foot piece from Bailey's Inc. We prefer to use these saws before we grab a chainsaw.

Next in line is the Silky Hayauchi, 21-foot 4 piece model, with their aggressive large teeth. And if the cuts are large-diameter, we'll pull out the Silky Hayate 20-footer. The Hayauchi weighs 7 pounds and is slightly flexible; the Hayate weighs 8, is stiffer, and you can notice the difference. The weight makes it more cumbersome to swing around and makes it cut faster.

I've climbed with all of these saws, as well as with Hayauchi 16-footer. The Jameson is very handy when you're up high in a tree; none of the others are as comfortable to use while climbing.

I'm not familiar with the ARS saw that RAH uses. Silky makes the Zubat which uses the same blade in a handsaw and polesaw. I haven't used this either. Our handsaws are Silky Sugoi 16".

And, in a pinch, I've put a third 6-foot piece in the Jamesons to reach 20 feet (6+6+8). This is a bit wobbly but works for the rare cut when you need it.

We are of the opinion, and you know how opinions go, that the Jameson is preferable to a chainsaw on a stick. A sharp Sherrill Tree blade on a Jameson will slice through limbs very quickly and the saw will grab a hung up limb and pull it free easily. This last move is not so easy with a stick saw.

Hope you all are not asleep by now. PM me if you like for many more wood cutting ideas such as chainsaws up high in the canopies!

Roger

OP Offline
Guys, thanks so much. I'll take a look at the ARS's, along with the Silky's and Jameson's.

I know it's more work, but the speed and ease of maneuverability makes manual pole saws a better option for me when trimming marginal limbs. I drove a 104' aerial truck for 15 years, and I can't remember a half a dozen times we took a chainsaw to the roof to ventilate a building during a fire. When it was wet, loud, dark, and my ears were getting toasty, an axe was always my tool of choice. They always start on the first pull, and never need gas. I still like those traits. That's probably the reason I keep a 2 man crosscut saw in the shop also.

Thanks again.

AL

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have cut up to 8" branches with the ARS and many 6" branches. I find doing this work therapeutic and like the quiet. I have also cut a lot of wood with my old 038 Stihl. I have a bow saw that I use a lot as well, but over 8" gets old fast.

I bought the Kobalt electric tools from Lowes a few years ago to take care of my light work, but they have become my go-to tools for every job. I take care of 7.5 acres and 2 acres of planted pines, the pole saw and 12' chain saw is second to none. I have not fired up my gas chain saw or echo weed eater in 2-3 years. I have dropped and cut up two trees on a single battery charge. The only exception is the blower. The Kobalt blower is great for blowing off sidewalks, driveways and patios but the Husqvarna back pack blower will blow wet leaves as well as wet door mats! The lithium ion batteries charge quick and last a long time. The average homeowner should never buy a gas tool again.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images