Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,107
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, jbird5986, Deancutler, Angler8689, FireIsHot, Treeguy27, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS), 739 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
Heath10 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
im new here and im not sure if im posting this in the right section. Anyways I just had a pond built and the dam turned out it needed to be a U-shaped instead of a straight dam and now I have some trees that are close to the dam and im not sure if they'll become a problem in the future. I have a pine tree and a couple of small sweet gums at the edge of where they stopped the dirt for the dam on one of the sides. I have some sweet gum and willow at the base of the backside of the dam. then the trees in the tubes are cypress right at the edge of the dam on the other side and a pine tree near the tubes that is at the edge of the start of the dam. Are they to close?

Attached Images
IMG_4957.JPG IMG_4958.JPG IMG_4959.JPG IMG_4960.JPG IMG_4962.JPG IMG_4963.JPG
S
S
Welcome to the forum Heath10.

I read your post yesterday and was waiting to see what replies you get, not knowing myself a real specific answer to your question.

The thing about trees around a dam, there probably are not any absolute rules. Hopefully some of the experts that have dealt with this for many years have some established guidelines though.

There are people on the forum that have in the past indicated they liked the trees so much for their benefit that they were willing to take somewhat of a chance on them causing problems by having them closer than what would be normally recomended.

Thing about tree roots in a dam, they are less likely to cause a problem while the tree is living than after the tree dies. When a tree dies the dead root will eventually rot out and leave a channel for water to flow. That is the biggest danger. I have seen lots of trees directly growing on a pond dam without the dam leaking so it is not an absolute that they will cause any immediate problem. It is just that they increase the risk of causing leaks. Particularly when the trees die but they could also potentially cause a path even when alive.

So far I have not really given you the answer you want, mostly because I do not have a definitive answer. But I nearly always have an opinion, right or wrong. grin

So now for my possibly right or wrong opinion. If you had trees directly growing on the dam, I would say that would be a definite negative. Not an absolute "they are going to cause a leak" problem, but definitely increasing the possibility down the road as the trees age. But from your pictures you do not have any trees directly on the dam. That is a positive.

I would say that you are in pretty good shape. I do not know enough about tree varieties to know the rooting structure other than I do know some trees tend to more have a tap root with a root ball contained mostly within the drip line of the limbs. Other trees (like Osage Orange) can extend roots far beyond the drip line and in my opinion would create more of a hazard to a dam if they were close to the base of the dam as in your pictures.

So my personal opinion is, if you value the trees, I would say you would not have any great danger of them causing problems and if they did it would likely be a half lifetime away, based on their location. If you want to be absolutely 100% positive trees can never cause any dam leakage problems, make the area look like a barren prairie.

How's that for hedging my recommendation?

Last edited by snrub; 11/27/17 09:11 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Agree with what's been said, but my first thought was it probably also has a lot do to with the type of tree. Based on the photos you provided, it doesn't look like the hardwoods are terribly close to the dam - and I'd be more concerned with those root systems than that of pine (which also aren't very close). My best guess is you are good to go, but I'm sure there are some experienced folks with this sort of thing that can confirm.

Welcome to the forum!

96.85840735 percent clayton... the rest is just pi.

We become what we think about.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
They don't look too close to me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
J
They look like the ones behind my pond, and about the same distance. My pond leaks and the excess water killed most of the trees below the dam except the cedars. They don't look too close to me. If you have a bunch of seepage they will likely die the first year after filling.
If they are below the toe of the backside, they probably won't hurt the dam unless they are willows or soft maple, which can send roots a hundred feet to water in some cases.

H
Heath10 Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Thanks guys for the opinions. I think I’m going to transplant the cypress trees, to me they are to close. I’ll probably leave the pine trees. I have young sweet gums everywhere on the property, I’ll probably cut the few down that are close to the dam. And then on the backside of the dam those trees are lower then the bottom of the dam and they are a pretty good distance away from the main part of the dam I’ll keep them but one of them is a willow I’ll cut down, I don’t want it’s roots growing up towards the dam. And I’m only 25 so I could end up being around this pond for the next 50 years and I want to do everything right and not have to worry about it later down the road.

These trees are behind my dam, but they are actually on my neighbors property. Not much I can do about it. I was going for the largest pond surface area I could, so I pushed the dam up against the property boundary. I'm just hoping they don't cause problems. At least not in my lifetime. wink

Attached Images
IMG_0075.JPG

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by jbird5986 - 03/28/24 08:10 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails