Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,130
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
15 members (Boondoggle, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Bill Cody, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Sunil, Angler8689, jpsdad, rjackson, esshup, jbird5986, Rick O), 996 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#442466 04/01/16 09:22 AM
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Hey folks wondering about your experience with property UTV's.

Looking at getting one to replace the golf cart. Really like the idea of a dump box, diesel, and 4X4.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
DonoBBD #442468 04/01/16 09:42 AM
S
S
I have had a couple of Kawasaki Mules. They are great machines and one still sees almost daily use at the workshop by employees.

Also have a Yamaha Rhino that is a pretty good machine that gets used for farm use.

But what I currently use personally and what I would buy again in a minute for my own use is a Polaris Ranger 900 with power steering. The only thing I might like it better is if it had the 3 cylinder engine John Deere uses in their Gators (The Ranger 900 uses a 2 cyl).

It is very smooth running. Engine is placed to the rear under the bed so it is both quiet and smooth. Engines up closer under the drivers seat tend to have more vibration and noise).Suspension on the Polaris is great which is very important to me as having back problems makes a smooth ride. The older I get, the more important that is. Kawasaki Mules will haul a big load because of the tires and suspension they use (great for picking up rocks out of farm fields), but they will beat you to death on rough ground. I've pulled thousands of soil samples on rough fields with one. The Polaris rides great. I would never have bought one with power steering. But one test drive by my wife and she said "this is the one we want". After having the power steering, if I get a replacement some day it will have it too.

Those are the three brands I have had experience with. To be fair, both the Mule and the Rhino are older machines with carburetors so the respective and comparable machines to the Polaris 900 would be much nicer. Electronic ignition fuel injected is the only way to do. No choke. No lean running, cold natured EPA mandated mal adjusted carb. Hit the key and it goes. I still have one carb motorcycle and the rest are fuel injected engines are SO MUCH NICER.

That is my input.

Oh, as far as Diesel. We have probably thirty or fourty Diesel engines on the farm. All the way from 40 to 550 hp tractors and several Semi's and well as combines, sprayers, etc. Diesel is the only way to go in heavy duty engines. Having said that I have owned Diesel pickups and I have no desire to own another. Same way for utility vehicles. They are fine machines, but for the cost difference and the way the new electronic ignition and fuel injected gas engines start and run, I have no desire to own a Diesel pickup or UTV. Just my personal preference. Lots of people think differently, and that is ok too.

Last edited by snrub; 04/01/16 09:54 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
DonoBBD #442470 04/01/16 09:56 AM
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I agree with everything he said. Mules are good for smooth flat ground. The ride on our ranger is a lot better.

DonoBBD #442471 04/01/16 10:16 AM
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
i have a jd gator with a gas engine (kawasaki). it has been a life saver her at our place. It is 2 wheel drive, but has locking differential. the base model with all metal construction was what i originally went after. after riding it around their lot, i decided against it quick. it will beat you to death. mine has some pretty good suspension. i like it because it has tubular bumpers and no canopy. i think a unit with a canopy would be asking for trouble in more than one way in wooded areas. it also has a dump bed with spray in liner and a rubber mat. one option i didnt get was a front rack. i didnt realize they made them. i may order one of those someday.

Scott Hanners
DonoBBD #442472 04/01/16 10:25 AM
S
S
Kubota Diesel RTV, the smaller 400 series or 1100 series dependent on your needs. Hands down the best RTV on the market. They are going to be building them in Gainesville GA in about 6 months.

2.5 Acre Pond
scott69 #442474 04/01/16 10:33 AM
G
G
Don,
I bought a John Deere 850 XUV diesel 4x4 a couple of years ago and love it. I use it on the farm for everything from spraying, checking fences to hauling hay and feed. It has very nice suspension so rides well. The only negative is that the diesel is a bit loud, not objectionable but you do notice it.
Gary

DonoBBD #442476 04/01/16 10:43 AM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I've driven and worked on just about all of them. Kubota gets my vote for the best.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
DonoBBD #442478 04/01/16 11:03 AM
M
mpc Offline
M
I have a Gravely(Multi drive) JSV with hydraulic dump bed. Will haul and dump full round bale or pallet up to 2000 lbs. Mine is gas but they make a diesel model too. I bought the long bed double bench because of kids and grand kids. I have the front heavy duty bumper with wench. Added GLASS windshield (Very easy in and out) for winter/rain. Has Polaris motor/ suspension. I would say look at it and I am happy with it. Golf cart get much less use now. Lots of options like power steering I may add soon. Maybe some ability to negotiate some of the accessory items into the deal. Engine is fuel injection which is great/easy start. American sourced/made product, if that is an issue for you.

All fuses,maintenance item, etc are handy. The above brands are rated very well too. My two cents.

Life is more fun with a pole in your hand.
DonoBBD #442485 04/01/16 12:57 PM
We have a Polaris Ranger 700, and find it extremely handy for all kinds of things around the acreage. Has been easy to maintain so far. I would get one with power steering, if I get a newer one (this one is a 2006). I used it all winter to push snow with a blade, and it started every time, even in subzero conditions, sitting outside. Awesome suspension as well. Highly recommended.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Swiss #442503 04/01/16 03:47 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Swiss
Kubota Diesel RTV, the smaller 400 series or 1100 series dependent on your needs. Hands down the best RTV on the market. They are going to be building them in Gainesville GA in about 6 months.

Another vote for the Kubota RTV 1100. Cab, heat and A/C, dump bed, etc. Get the bed Rhino Lined. It's not a speed demon, but it is a utility vehicle and a darn good one. Get 2 lights on the roof that face rearward, you will need them for backing up at night.

Forget about the side view mirrors. They fall apart in less than 2 years. Throw a mat on the floor, I think the side windows open now.

If you will plow with it, I think there are roof mounted lights that face forward.

Check to see if the windshield wiper clears the passenger side. The 2 that I know of (but they are a few years old) only clear half of the passenger side.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
DonoBBD #442530 04/01/16 07:01 PM
J
Lunker
Lunker
J
I just got a Polaris ranger 900 xp and I love it. It took me a while to make up my mind that it was worth the cost over a golf cart. I've had it for a few months and I use it almost everyday. The HSB follow it around the pond already, waiting for a handout.

DonoBBD #442599 04/02/16 07:41 AM
T
T
I will tell you I am rough on the ones I have had. My first was the a Polaris 800 Ranger. I had gone to the Sports Show that is held in Shreveport or Bossier City every year. I met the most honest salesperson I ever met. He sold the JD Gator and I liked the UTV. In the discussion, he asked if I had water on the property and I told him some of the land was bottom land and so he told me of the problems JD was having with the Gator's and water. He pointed out a small hole in the rear axel assembly and told me if water ever got in, the utv would die and not restart until the water had dried inside this axil area. He also pointed out the air intake was at my ankle, inside the cab and said water could enter here, Bad deal!! I could not believe my ears, he talked me out of buying the Gator. I found a Polaris 800 with all the bells and whistles, Jacked up, big Mudder wheels etc. etc. I bought this unit and owned it for one year where it was in the shop almost as often as it was out. The biggest problem was it overheated in the summer and would shut down leaving me stranded on the back side of the property. Tried all the fixes that was recommended on the net and by the end of the summer I got rid of it. Now, I go back and review all the reviews and again the Polaris is rated as the one to buy. So I bought the 900 Ranger, with all mossy oak camo paint job. I told them to leave everything Stock. I loved the unit, it never overheated (they moved the motor to under the dump bed, instead of under the seat. The ride was really smooth. I was happy with my new buy. Wrong!! I took it into the shop last week and walked out with a $1700.00 repair bill and that did not include any repairs to the transmission. It will only ride in 4 wheel drive, two wheel does not work properly, jumps in and out of gear. I hardly ever drove it in two wheel, so the dealer(not the one purchased from) discovered the problem. I told him don't fix it I could not afford another fix. I could, but I am not going to do it because I rarely use 2 wheel dr. My two neighbors own Mules and I have driven mules, not what I was looking for but I may own one one day, they seam to be the workhorse, but sorry to say they ride and drive like a workhorse. I have looked at the Kubota butt!! I have decided I need a tank @ my place or a stack of money.

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 04/02/16 07:45 AM. Reason: additions

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
DonoBBD #442617 04/02/16 11:29 AM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
If money was no object, I would have the Kubota in a heartbeat. But realistically, our Kaw mule does everything we ask of it. That thing is just flat-out tough. I suppose it does ride rough?, but then again, what am I expecting out of it? It's not a pickup truck, it's a utility vehicle, intended for farms and acreage. Not running down the highway. Many of the supposed UTV's on the market today have as their claim to fame, 50 mph or greater top speeds. In my opinion, when you get one that runs that fast you have traded a substantial measure of "utility" in favor of "fun toy".

I want something that will work hard for me, and ride quality at high speed while in the woods or pasture just isn't high on my priority list right now. The Kubotas are awesome, probably the best built machines on the market as far as I'm concerned. Would love to have one, but well satisfied with our mule.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
sprkplug #442636 04/02/16 02:49 PM
P
P
Is the Kubota the one that looks like a Smart Car? If so it be butt ugly
LOL

DonoBBD #442643 04/02/16 04:17 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If money is an object, I sure can't complain about my SportWorks UTV. They are made here below the border in Indiana and Louisiana by a golf-cart manufacturer.

Mine has a 13.9 HP Honda electric-start gasoline engine, that can easily be manually started with a pull cord if the battery is dead.

It came standard with roll bars, a roof, and removable/fold-down windshield. It has front and back standard 2" receivers for hitches. I keep my front hitch dedicated to a standard 4-pin flat connector trailer electrical connection that allows me to slip in a winch that operates the snow plow.

I sure have done a lot of hauling, trailer pulling, and snow plowing with this little unit over the 4-5 years I've owned it.

No, it won't go 65 mph. It ain't diesel. It isn't a brand name. I got mine through Tractor Supply for about U$4000.

It is a 2WD unit, with a lockable rear axle. After the first snow season, I quit using chains on the tires because I found that with my rather steep 1/2 mile driveway, the aggressive rubber tires do better without the chains.

It has a decent dump bed, that has an option for an electric lift to allow easier unloading.

It will haul most any trailer-hitch size utility trailer I hook up to it.

If you don't have to overcome engine power and name-recognition ego, these aren't bad units to own.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
DonoBBD #442654 04/02/16 07:02 PM
When I bought my pond property in 2012 I was considering a gas golf cart with a dump bed. I stumbled upon a 2011 Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans with 46 hours on it. Fortunately I had done enuff research to recognize a killer deal and jumped on it and I'm glad I did. This thing is as handy as a pocket on a shirt! Whether I'm hauling people, puppy dogs, old wimmens or pulling a trailer it does it all. It has a dump bed, 4WD and locking differential. I can highly recommend the Mule, but that's the only one I have owned. If you're looking in the used market, I would look for EFI and power steering, without EFI they can be cold natured, compounded by your northern climate I'm sure.

DonoBBD #442702 04/03/16 08:17 AM
I am on a budget, so price was a big consideration for me. I bought used, of course.
Found a 2010 Honda Big Red. It has their 650cc single cylinder motorcycle engine in it. (Very reliable)
I've found it to be quiet running, the three speed automatic transmission works fine. It has shaft drive, instead of belts. And it's a Honda, do I expect it to outlast me..
Could be one of the uglier UTVs made, ha! But that doesn't matter too much to me. I put a seat in the bed that folds up. Great for grandkids, or mothers in law wink
Only downside so far is that it's a pia to change the oil. The filter is just tough to get to.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
SetterGuy #442707 04/03/16 09:37 AM
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Wow guys love the thread. It has given me so much to take in.

We made a deal on a 2014 Kioti Mechron 2200. She has a 22hp diesel motor with 2X4 and 4X4 lock, sun shade cover, turf tires, three seater. Guess it will hold 1100# in the dump box. Doesn't have the hydraulic dump bed but can be added for $1300. The hydraulic kit then has two hydraulic ports at the rear of the tow hitch. Dump bed has a cylinder assist but it Marcia can't dump with it we will look at the hydraulic addition. The Mechron is 61"s wide. The local farmer that has one says he drive his every day to another farm to feed the pigs and gets a month on one tank of diesel.

Made the deal with my kioti dealers for $8000. Its old stock that they got when the dollar was better then it is now. New they want $15,600 Canadian for the 2016. There is 30 hours on it. They used it around their yard shunting trailers around.

Should have it delivered next week and can shoot some pictures. I know my boys they will have a hard time keeping it clean with trying to still do work on the sugar shack.

Cheers Don.

DonoBBD #442709 04/03/16 10:08 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That looks like the copied Kubota on a lot of things.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
DonoBBD #442715 04/03/16 11:59 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Fantastic. I don't think you'll wear it out in your lifetime -- except maybe for tires. Kioti tractors with the 18-35 hp diesel engines have great reputations. I can only assume this has a similar engine, and a pretty tough frame. Figure on the engine outlasting you! sick

Have fun! You'll love it.

Edit: For winter use on my 23 hp Mitsubishi diesel tractor engine, I do add CETAIN booster to the fuel to keep it from jelling. If I know I'm going to need the tractor when the temp is below about 0F/-18C, I have a 200 watt heater (made in Canada) that snugly grabs the bottom the oil pan using a magnetic plate. I use it to make the cranking easier when the weather/oil gets cold.

Last edited by catmandoo; 04/03/16 12:14 PM. Reason: Edit

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
DonoBBD #442716 04/03/16 12:27 PM
T
T
I have a Kioti CS2410 with 460 hours on it. It has been a tough little SOB over the last three years. Had some issues early but been bullet proof since. Dealer care has been awesome. I'm now upsizing to the CK2510, save diesel engine but bigger tractor. Their diesels being used are fantastic.

By the way, I have a 2011 Polaris 400 Ranger and love that too! Haven't put one dime into it and made it a manufactured pick up truck here in Michigan complete with license plate for on road use. It's been to Wyoming, Northern MI and on my little farm. It knows no bounds.

Last edited by timshufflin; 04/03/16 12:29 PM.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
DonoBBD #442722 04/03/16 02:36 PM
J
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
J
Congratulations. I really like the looks of that Kioti. I'm sure you are going to enjoy it. I am very interested in the SportsWork UTV, what an amazing price.

DonoBBD #442724 04/03/16 04:19 PM
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Thanks guys. Yes it is basically a copy of the Kubota.

We have a kioti DK 45 cab hydro, loader, that only has 300 hours on it and we love it. Its has lots of power with a 6 foot mower, 6 foot blower, and five foot tiller. Love the commercial tires over the turf tire and ag tire.

The Mechron is the 22 hp tractor so the gearing is low and top speed is only 20mph. We thought this would be perfect for pulling and shunting things around the farm. There is a 2 wheel low and high and 4 wheel low and high range. Biggest deal makers was the diesel, weight/gearing, size and price.

#1 thing with all this stuff is maintain. Check oil when fueling every time you can't go wrong.

Can't wait to mount an IBC tote with feed trained perch shop to pond every year.

Cheers Don.

DonoBBD #442733 04/03/16 06:01 PM
That sounds like a heck of a deal. I went by the Polaris dealer the other day, he's also a Honda dealer. He had some fancy two seat Rangers with a cab etc.. I know we're over $20,000. About what I paid for my Tundra!

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
DonoBBD #442741 04/03/16 07:14 PM
H
H
Nice! I picked up a 40 hp Kioti tractor two years back. Loader, backhoe, box blade, brush hog... It's been a great machine. The property wouldn't be where it is now without it. Still a long way from finished though. Kioti was the best value I found. Mahindra price, but a lot more tractor IMO.

Pond Boss subscriber

Would those that say "it can't be done" please refrain from interrupting those that are doing it...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:18 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/29/24 09:00 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday