Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
6 members (catscratch, Brandon Larson, Layne, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond, Angler8689), 638 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
North40 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Hello all,

I've been reading quite a bit over the last year on the site. It's been educational and entertaining. I've got the time in 2015 to start playing around more with my pond project.
Previously, I’ve left it alone and really just paid attention to the property for hunting. I hate to say I haven't even fished it, and I am a fisherman. Man o' man, how time gets away.... You’ve all helped motivate me to do more, and I welcome any thoughts you have on my plan below, as simple as it is…

A short recap, located in Minnesota it's about 11 acres, 40 feet deep, with much over the 15 foot depth. It's got a submerged weed edge at approximately 8ft, with the submerged vegetation pretty thick to that line. It should be great cover for minnows. The land around it is much higher, and the BOW is completely landlocked. No water flow in or out, except for rain run-off from the surrounding hills, and hills do surround it completely. I've posted a video where you can see the vegetation, on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr-dHZVrjVM&feature=youtu.be

Observations of my pond last year for the first time really paying attention to it? Early June snorkeled (yes, it was chilly) in the pond prior to vegetation growth and saw oodles of tiny SF. Clouds of them. Saw a couple small NP. I see a turtle here and there, found a couple of empty turtle shells which I believe are the remains of a snack from a muskrat calling the pond home. Tons of frogs. There is a muskrat house on the pond. I plan to take care of him/them this spring as the ice melts (Unless there’s any value to keep a muskrat around that I’m not thinking of) I saw on a regular basis a loon or two on the pond. I’m guessing they stay for the small SF and the quiet, I see them quite often on the weekends there.

I’ve had a family of wood ducks last year in one of the houses I put up. They were always fun to watch. I will add a couple more houses this year. I get mallards now and then. I have stratified wild rice on order for the spring, so I will add some rice to a shallow end of the pond.

I began seining shiner minnows from a local lake last year. I have been very careful to sein specific fish, and have been transporting them via large cooler to the pond. I do this only on weekends when friends and kids are up to visit. It’s a lot of fun. I hand select every minnow transferred into the cooler to assure they are shiners. At one seining session, I hit lots of 1” perch. I felt I hit the jackpot as ultimately I would like a pond with Perch, BG and WE. I did sein a few 4” walleye and dumped them in as well. I have also dropped in seven 12” WE.

I plan this year to seine shiners more often and continue to stock them. During a session, I can get typically 2 pounds of shiners without too much trouble from a larger lake. I have been debating whether to buy fatheads to stock as well from reading on this site. I’m also thinking of adding crayfish, I don’t believe any exist now.

Plans for this year.
1) Focus of year to stocking minnows.
2) Plant Wild Rice
3) Open up an area through the weeds to create a boat launch. Debating on how to kill the weeds there currently. I have literature form Aquacide.
4) Plant millet for turkeys and ducks near shoreline.
5) Create new food plots for deer.
6) Plant apple trees
7) Planting for raspberry patch

C
C
HI North40. I'd love to know what you used to build a wood duck house. I'd like to try that.

Also there was some threads on earlier that indicated in some fairly uncontroversial language that catching fish from one lake and bringing them to yours is illegal in your state. I guess if you read the forum you are probably aware of that already. Hate to be a spoilsport but maybe that is news to you as well.

Most of us would love to have a 40 foot deep pond! Enjoy what you have!

N
North40 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I know that all too well, as I live in the state where nothing is legal.

I was typing quickly and meant to say hatchery, not lake. Sometimes I get confused. wink

N
North40 Offline OP
OP Offline
N
CanyonCreek - If you PM me, I'll send you the .pdf and excel spreadsheet I use for cost estimates for building in multiples. I've built dozens over the years.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??