Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,083
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Theo Gallus, BillyE, Sunil, Requa, Jason D, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn), 762 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#276736 01/04/12 09:16 PM
C
connor Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My grandparents have tons of long stryrofoam rectangles and I have a pond..... Suggestions?

Drought of 2012

-God gives you situations so that you can benefit from them.
D
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
D
If you'll give the dimensions of the rectangles, the number you have, whether or not they're covered with a waterproof material, if they're reinforced in any way, and you'll probably get a number of welcomed suggestions.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Connor, styrofoam is mainly used to support the weight of wooden floating docks. How thick is the styrofoam?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Many many years ago, one of my brothers raised some cc in cages. He had some big Styrofoam blocks probably 3.5 feet wide, 7 feet long, and 1.5 feet thick. After he quit raising the cc in cages, one block wound up at an old pond. I used to walk to it regularly (.5 mile through woods and pasture), shove it out in the pond, jump on, and paddle it around with limb. Figured the pond was 5 feet deep. It was actually 13 and I couldn't swim. That block had worn away towith a fractiongood of itsthat original sizes. Muskrats had dug into it. It would have fallen apart (actually did later) on land; but I was blissfully standing up on it fishing years before... good memories. Naive kid. Anyway, blocks can support good weight but vermin, weather, sun, wildlife and kids can be rough on them if they're not protected.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
J
J
The blue foam in the picture and used as a building material is a closed cell foam and virtually does not soak up water where as the common white foam is an open cell and will. My next project is to make a floating island for turtles made out of blue foam. The outside can be heated with a heat gun to make a rock hard melted surface. I will coat the surface with epoxy and coat it with crushed lava stone for a natural looking rock like texture. That's the plan anyway.

Dow STYROFOAM
Since its introduction in 1948, STYROFOAM Brand insulation, the Blue extruded polystyrene foam, has been a proven performer in millions of installation's worldwide. STYROFOAM brand insulation is made to offer reliable performance over the long term. It's unique closed-cell structure leaves no voids between the cells. The result: high compressive strength and unparalleled resistance to water penetration. Because it stands up to time, you can reuse STYROFOAM brand insulation in may applications, adding exceptional value to your project by saving both future replacement and disposal costs.
Invented by Dow more than 50 years ago and identified worldwide by the distinctive Blue** color, STYROFOAM* products are the most widely recognized brand in insulation today. In the early 1900s, The Dow Chemical Company invented a process for extruding polystyrene to achieve a closed cell foam that resists moisture. Recognizing its superior insulating properties, buoyancy and "unsinkability," it was originally adopted in 1942 by the Coast Guard for use in a six-man life raft. That was the start of many other wartime applications by the Coast Guard and Navy.

STYROFOAM rigid foam insulation also helps protect your home from the damaging effects of moisture. In the early 1900s, The Dow Chemical Company invented a process for extruding polystyrene to achieve a closed cell foam that resists moisture. Recognizing its superior insulating properties, buoyancy and "unsinkability," it was originally adopted in 1942 by the Coast Guard for use in a six-man life raft. That was the start of many other wartime applications by the Coast Guard and Navy. Today, those same properties have found a home in your home – as insulating sheathing that resists moisture and reduces the potential for condensation in your wall where it can reduce the R-value of cavity insulation, contribute to the growth of mold and mildew, and can result in poor indoor air quality.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Good point. This stuff was white.

C
connor Offline OP
OP Offline
C
The styrofoam is about 1 1/2 feet thick by 2 1/2 wide. It is white but we don't have problems with vermin because we have owls. I have seen docks in Arkansas that use the white styrofoam with no problems so I was just curious if it would work on a smaller scale.

Drought of 2012

-God gives you situations so that you can benefit from them.
J
J
Wow John...pretty good idea. Mother necessity, and thinking outside the box. Would love to hear how it turns out.

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer.
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
When I was building my house, I had some leftover materials one day that included a 12'x4' pallet that my siding shipped on, and a few extra sheets of 2" XPS foam. It looked like a raft waiting to happen, so I slid the foam in between the top/bottom slats of the pallet, and attached a trolling motor to it, and built some benches on it. Believe it or not, it is going on its fourth season, although it should probably be retired soon. It could last a lot longer if you UV proofed the foam and used a type of wood that was more weather resistant than the pine pallet, though.

-Chris
1 acre pond
Currently managing:
FHM, GSH, GSF, BG, PS, RES, LES, YP, SMB, LMB, HSB, RBT, WE, CC, FHC, and Grass Shrimp

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by Requa - 03/28/24 01:39 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images