Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,093
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod, esshup, Augie, PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson), 742 guests, and 308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
I have a 4 acre pond that sits in the middle of 50 acres. Years ago, before I owned this property, the land was was pasture and the pond was always full according to the previous owner. In the 90s, they planted pines on the land up to about 10 feet surrounding the pond. This obviously killed the runoff and the pond hasn't been consistently full for years. We recently had the pines clear cut and the pond is now fuller than it has ever been this time of year since the trees got established. There are two obvious runoffs that send tons of water into the pond after the smallest rain. I plan on replanting pines next fall. I want to do so in a manner to not affect runoff as best I can. I am not going to plant where the two runoffs are coming down toward the pond. My big question is how much space should I leave between the pond bank and nearest row of pines? I'd like to leave an adequate buffer that would still allow good runoff. Also, I'm up for any other pointers on my planting that y'all might have.

Last edited by GaSoPond; 11/25/19 02:29 PM.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Why do you think pines affected runoff? Were there a lot of fallen needles blocking the water flow?

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted By: RAH
Why do you think pines affected runoff? Were there a lot of fallen needles blocking the water flow?

The biggest issue was that the pines were not maintained and by the time we bought the place in 2013, the undergrowth was beyond repair without a clear cut. There were areas you could not even walk through it had gotten so thick. This may have affected the runoff more than the pines I guess.

A
A
Originally Posted By: GaSoPond

The biggest issue was that the pines were not maintained and by the time we bought the place in 2013, the undergrowth was beyond repair without a clear cut. There were areas you could not even walk through it had gotten so thick. This may have affected the runoff more than the pines I guess.

I have issues with undergrowth as well. Did you try a controlled burn?

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted By: anthropic

I have issues with undergrowth as well. Did you try a controlled burn?

Unfortunately, it was already so bad when we purchased the property that any burning would have destroyed the 25 year old pines. There was just too much fuel. The good thing is that the pines were ready to cut now anyway. This has now given us a clean slate to work with and I want to do it right going forward. I will certainly manage the new pines so we don't have an undergrowth issue. I was just hoping to get some thoughts on what people had done regarding the amount of setback from the pond to plant the pines as to not inhibit runoff as best I could.

R
R
Was the roots possibly raising the ground enough to create a trance? Doing so causing the water to run away from the pond. That's the only reason in my head that would cause this. I'm no expert at all just my thoughts. I'm not understanding any other reason a tree would be stopping tour runoff.

The people who say I can't do it can just sit the @^#% down and watch me. Friends call me Rusto I also subscribe to pond boss mag. http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=504716#Post504716
I suspect that it is not so much that the pines and the under growth diverted the runoff as it is they absorbed it. That many trees and that heavy under brush require HUGE amounts of water and the roots keep the soil loose and ready to suck up any water available. My advice, keep the underbrush and accumulated pine needles to a minimum going forward. There is a good market for pine needle straw. My BIL has acreage in pines in Florida (not far from Dothan) and the buyer comes and harvests the needles and writes him a check!

The rule of thumb I've read is keep the trees at least 50 feet away from the pond unless you want them tapping into the pond as a water source.

Just my 1 cent....

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/25/19 08:30 PM. Reason: clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
A
A
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I suspect that it is not so much that the pines and the under growth diverted the runoff as it is they absorbed it. That many trees and that heavy under brush require HUGE amounts of water and the roots keep the soil loose and ready to suck up any water available. My advice, keep the underbrush and accumulated pine needles to a minimum going forward. There is a good market for pine needle straw. My BIL has acreage in pines in Florida (not far from Dothan) and the buyer comes and harvests the needles and writes him a check!

The rule of thumb I've read is keep the trees at least 50 feet away from the pond unless you want them tapping into the pond as a water source.

Just my 1 cent....

Good advice. Though I will say that having felling a few pines on the shoreline into the water helps create good structure. Bob L says to leave up dead trees where it is safe, as they will harbor many species, especially birds.

Last edited by anthropic; 11/25/19 09:30 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

G
G
Originally Posted By: anthropic

Just my 1 cent....

Good advice. Though I will say that having felling a few pines on the shoreline into the water helps create good structure. Bob L says to leave up dead trees where it is safe, as they will harbor many species, especially birds.

One would also believe that a few trees,Pines or otherwise, strategically placed close to the edge, would do wonders to shade water in the hot summer months, I have had experience with fishing in the summertime, they are more active and bite later into the day in shaded areas. jmo

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted By: RStringer
Was the roots possibly raising the ground enough to create a trance? Doing so causing the water to run away from the pond. That's the only reason in my head that would cause this. I'm no expert at all just my thoughts. I'm not understanding any other reason a tree would be stopping tour runoff.

I think it was simply the fact that 45 acres of huge pines trees with enormous amounts of undergrowth were immediately surrounding the pond. All of this would soak up most of the water trying to make its way to the pond.

G
OP Offline
G

Just my 1 cent....

Thanks for the rule of thumb. That's exactly what I was looking for. Just couldn't find anything specific on the matter. I think going forward I'll plant my new trees no closer than 50 feet from the pond and manage the timber with controlled burns and mowing to keep undergrowth at bay. This should help tremendously with runoff issues.

V
V
Most of my watershed is in timber. It is steeply sloped toward the pond. It is completely unproductive unless we get enough rain to saturate the ground. The trees actually seem to capture most water from a short rain in the canopy. If I'm working in the woods sometimes I don't realize it is raining until I enter a clearing.

Timber was thinned before my time, I think at least 5 years ago. Delimbing left deep pine mulch. Often over a foot thick. This is a sponge.

Once saturated, temporary creeks run from the forest to the pond, often for a few weeks.

I have been clearing underbrush, mostly youpon holly. It is TBD if this will help.

Small portions of the watershed are in turf. Water runs off this with any decent rain.

Last edited by Vortex 4; 11/26/19 05:23 PM.

4 acre pond 32 ft deep within East Texas (Livingston) timber ranch. Filled (to the top of an almost finished dam) by Hurricane Harvey 9/17. Stocked with FHM, CNBG, RES 10/17. Added 35lbs RSC 3/18. 400 N LMB fingerlings 6/18
...manage the timber with controlled burns....

You are a braver man than me my friend! I would never start a "controlled" fire under pine trees and all that pine tar. If you want a demonstration, take a small green pine branch and/or some pine needles and throw them in a campfire.

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/26/19 10:48 PM.

[Linked Image]
J
J
The controlled burns done around here are in mixed oak/hickory forests.

T
T
I have done a controlled burn in a 15 yr old stand of Pines. I was a little worried when I lit it up. You have to plan ahead and wait for the right weather. Purpose was to burn off the underbrush and a thick layer of pine needles. Pines also had a few small Oak trees up to maybe 15' tall. Pines can handle a burn with little to no damage to the trees. The Oaks did not survive the burn. But I have to say I was a little nervous when I lit it up. I am on the district line as to which fire dept would handle it if fire became out of hand. And so neither of the two fire dept's wanted anything to do with the controlled burn. Their final word was if it gets out of hand call 911. I finally figured out they wanted to distance themselves from anything to do with a controlled burn. I also did a controlled burn in an overgrown pasture. That burn almost got out of hand because the wind came up that morning before the burn was completed. After that burn I have not done another controlled burn because an "UN Controlled Burn" is not good. Weather has to be perfect for a burn.

Last edited by TGW1; 11/27/19 06:22 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
F
F
My 2 acre pond is completely surrounded by pines. There is only about a 40-50 foot buffer from the waters edge. Still...every year baby pines come up all over my ponds bank like grass growing!! I mow what I can and the ones I really can't get to I wait till they are a little larger and then walk down the steep banks and cut them one at a time!! Sooo...in my opinion a 50 ft buffer is not near enough!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I think that it probably depends on the species of pine and climactic zone how they affect a pond, in addition to individual location characteristics. I do not think white pines near one of my ponds has any adverse effect.

J
J
Originally Posted By: TGW1
I also did a controlled burn in an overgrown pasture. That burn almost got out of hand because the wind came up that morning before the burn was completed. After that burn I have not done another controlled burn because an "UN Controlled Burn" is not good. Weather has to be perfect for a burn.

We called in a controlled burn for a pasture this spring. The conditions were perfect for a control burn. It created so much smoked that drifted into town that the fire department did a "courtesy" check to see if the fire got out of control. Apparently a lot of people had their windows open.

G
OP Offline
G
...manage the timber with controlled burns....

You are a braver man than me my friend! I would never start a "controlled" fire under pine trees and all that pine tar. If you want a demonstration, take a small green pine branch and/or some pine needles and throw them in a campfire.

Controlled burns of planted pines in Georgia are very common. During burn season it's not uncommon to see a stand of pines undergoing a controlled burn of underbrush on a daily basis. Controlled burns are necessary if you want the healthiest stand of pines possible. Now I wouldn't do it myself. Most people get the local Forestry Commission to do it. They know what they're doing. Below is some reading on the need for controlled burns in pine stands.

http://www.gfc.state.ga.us/forest-manage...-burn/index.cfm

Interesting read. Thanks! I'm with you though, I would have a pro do the burn! smile

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
by Tbar, December 10
Deer at Theo's 2023
Deer at Theo's 2023
by Theo Gallus, November 13