Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod
18,494 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,958
Posts557,923
Members18,495
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,533
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
10 members (canyoncreek, ghdmd, Bigtrh24, FishinRod, catscratch, Rick O, Jward87, Justin W, Theo Gallus, phinfan), 840 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Well it almost time for cabin kickoff! April 1st is right around the corner. I just bought my 1000 gallon poly septic tank today, D box and all that good stuff. Water meter should be going in this week! I am excited and kind of overwhelmed too. Let the stress begin!! smile My Dad will be arriving March 31st from Arizona and the first weekend / week we will be laying things out and preping the area the rest of the way, buying supplies and all that good stuff. My sons are excited to help and get involved with the project and with spending time with Grandma and Grandpa. I will start a new thread once we kick this thing off and update it with what we are doing and with pics the best I can.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bring it on.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
sounds like you're gonna need a couple more 5 gallon buckets
-
I would keep it tacked onto the original thread that you started. Looking forward to the updates.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
We'll be watching you sweat while we're sipping suds at the Big Show. We'll host a glass to your efforts.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey DD1,

Thanks for that! I know I am gonna hate missing the Big Show this year, but if I had to miss for something this is a good reason!! Thanks and have a couple for me!!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
RC,
There is one very important fundamental thing that I learned about building structures. If you are going to get 4-foot-itis, the time to do so is BEFORE you commit to the dimensions.
When you are building a house, cabin, or garage, and the design is a basic rectangle, stretching the dimensions is the cheapest and easiest way to gain square footage. The key to this thought process is the basic rectangle form. What do I mean? I will give you an example.
Let's consider a simple gable home design. Say, oh maybe, 18' x 24' long. The gables are at each end of the 24' length. As this structure is being built, the vast majority of time and detail is spent at the gable ends. Everything in between the gables is simple, repetitive work that moves quickly and creates square footage just as quickly. The devil is in the details, and he lives at each end of the house. It would stand to reason, then, to add square footage in between the gables, you would be adding to the simplest and quickest construction areas. In the end, you spend the exact same amount of time and detail on the gables...only diff is that they are a little further apart from each other.
My gambrel roof gar/apt project is exactly the same situation. In my case, not only the gables, but the ends of the shed dormers. All the time and detail was spent in these "end" details. All the walls and roofs in between flew by in no time. That 28 x 44' project was almost dialed in at 40' long....then I got 4-foot-itus. No regrets.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Bski,

Thanks for the heads up. I apprecaite any advice you can give me. I noticed a small part of what your talking about when we made my shed. Like you said it took a while to make the ends and get that right. The rest was grip and rip if you will! I already got 4 foot itis once. The cabin was originally supposed to be 36 long and now its 40 smile Heck mine might be 44 before it's over!! smile Like my dad said it's cheep to add on now! I am getting excited!! Time is drawing near. Everything is in place. We have 2 full months to get this cabin at least in the dry that's our goal anyway. If we get farther then GREAT!! But once we start on the walls we GOT to get it in the dry for sure!!

Thanks Bski for the heads up!!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Need help
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:49 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by FishinRod - 04/23/24 01:38 PM
Happy Birthday Theo!
by DrewSh - 04/23/24 10:33 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/23/24 10:16 AM