Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,975
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (Sunil, catscratch, jludwig, sprkplug, canyoncreek, gehajake, STG), 1,146 guests, and 335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#215866 05/07/10 11:38 AM
B
BrianH Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
What would be better and/or cheaper, a high fence or the two fences three feet apart like I've been seeing in magazines? I want to start an orchard and there are a lot of deer by the creek.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I believe the cheapest would be an electric fence. Deer, if they want to can clear a 10' high fence.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Not sure about electric fences and deer. I tried electric when I had cows and the wire kept getting torn down. After I got rid of the cows, I wanted to try out a solar powered fence rig. It also got torn down. An old Rancher told me that when a cow touches an electric fence, it backs away but a deer, when shocked, lunges forward. I have no idea whether that is true.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 05/09/10 05:57 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
If you go the electric fence route, don't forget the peanut butter on aluminum foil trick. It is important that you are diligent at the beginning with this trick, so the deer get conditioned to avoid the fence. If you think it won't get their attention, you might want to lick the peanut butter yourself with the power on (just kidding - don't do this!). Once the deer do this, they will stay away. While barriers are OK, if you have a suitable area, allowing a single RESPONSIBLE hunter to help you out, is good insurance. Find someone local that hunts a lot both during the whole archery/gun season and who hunts alone.

RAH #216073 05/09/10 09:32 AM
B
BrianH Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Electricity is too far away. Has anyone tried to double fence?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
They have solar fence chargers. No grid hook-up needed.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I'd go with the solar electric fence. Cheapest and easiest to maintain and from my experience, the most efficient at keeping the deer out.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: BrianH
Electricity is too far away. Has anyone tried to double fence?

HI BrianH,

Up in MI, there are a number of deer farms. Mostly for private/personal keeping or pay to hunt.

I have never seen a double fence setup, not to say they there are not out there. I usually see the 8 foot high fence setups with Deer and Elk.

One Op. a few miles from here recently added another two foot section to make them 10 ft high.

Not sure why it was done, either they have deer with blinking red noses, or they may be trying to keep the resident Cougar's out. Deer are the main diet and favorite food of Cougar's. A concentration of deer that can't escape would be a Cougar's wildest dreams come true.

From what I understand, electric fences don't work with deer. Deer are pretty much neurotic, crazy animals when in a fight or flight situation. An electric fence probably would not stand a chance.

Just my thoughts,
J

Last edited by JKB; 05/09/10 06:51 PM.
JKB #216370 05/11/10 07:25 AM
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Brian, I have an 8 ft high fence around my garden. It has five feet of high tensile goat and sheep fence on bottom with four strands of barbed wire on top for a total of 8 feet. I have never ever had a deer challenge that fence. If a deer was on the inside of the garden and was challenged it might jump it, but they don't won't fruits and veggies bad enough to come from the outside. In the last couple of months we have found 4 deer with their leg caught in the top two wires of a regular fence. Needless to say they didn't survive. One of them I found was still alive and I called the game warden and he came out and disposed of her. Raccoons now they are a whole other problem. They will crawl anything.

In Dog Beers, I've had one.
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
My neighbor has a vineyard. We had an existing barbed wire fence and when he put the vineyard in he placed an 8 foot fence outside of the barbed wire fence. Although I've never witnessed it happen, my neighbor claims that deer still occasionally jump the double fences but it has significantly cut down the deer presence on his property.

Personally I like the deer and I've named them, let's see there is Al Coholic, Barb Dwyer, Dwaine Pipe, Marsha Mellow, Marty Graw.....

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
BrianH Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
B
Thanks a lot guys

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jeff, you gotta start giving them shorter names. Like Sausage, snack sticks, jerky, tenderloins......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Breakfast, lunch & dinner.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
My neighbor has a vineyard. We had an existing barbed wire fence and when he put the vineyard in he placed an 8 foot fence outside of the barbed wire fence. Although I've never witnessed it happen, my neighbor claims that deer still occasionally jump the double fences but it has significantly cut down the deer presence on his property.

Personally I like the deer and I've named them, let's see there is Al Coholic, Barb Dwyer, Dwaine Pipe, Marsha Mellow, Marty Graw.....

How does Sunil always say it so eloquently???? oh yeah......Freak!!!

Lunker
Lunker
How many trees are you planning? I have two orchards one with 15 trees and the other with 24. I have opted to fence each tree enstead of a fence around the orchard. You can use 4 to 5' tall 2x4 welded wire in 12' to 15' lenghts to make roughly a 5' diameter cage. This will keep the deer out since they cannot jump inside. It does make pruning and orther maintenance a little more work. But for a small orchard it is more cost affective. I close the cages with cable ties so it is real easy to open them to work on the trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Scott/Travis, I've found a handful of the solar chargers on the web and am wondering if you guys have heard anything good or bad about any particular brands. I'm thinking this would be a great way to protect our garden once we build it.

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: lassig
How many trees are you planning? I have two orchards one with 15 trees and the other with 24. I have opted to fence each tree enstead of a fence around the orchard. You can use 4 to 5' tall 2x4 welded wire in 12' to 15' lenghts to make roughly a 5' diameter cage. This will keep the deer out since they cannot jump inside. It does make pruning and orther maintenance a little more work. But for a small orchard it is more cost affective. I close the cages with cable ties so it is real easy to open them to work on the trees.

Good idea, lassig. We're going to be planting probably half a dozen fruit trees very soon and I like this approach - low maintenance and low fuss. I assume you stake the sections of fence down to keep them from tipping over and creating easier access to the tree?

Todd La Neve

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I'll do some checking... I don't know what brands are being used. Next time I talk to a couple people I know who have them, I'll see what they say.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Todd, IMO the only way you can protect a garden in deer country is a high fence with some really nervous dogs.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Todd, IMO the only way you can protect a garden in deer country is a high fence with some really nervous dogs.

I love it, Dave! My chihuahua is the only nervous dog we've got! The chessie likes deer and lets them lie in the yard here while he has his afternoon siesta. Once we move to the farm, he'll probably be worthless at protecting a garden!

Todd La Neve

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Originally Posted By: lassig

Good idea, lassig. We're going to be planting probably half a dozen fruit trees very soon and I like this approach - low maintenance and low fuss. I assume you stake the sections of fence down to keep them from tipping over and creating easier access to the tree?

Yes I uyse 2 5' or 6' T-posts. I use two cable ties on the one T post that doesn't have the openning and 3 on the Tpost that has the two ends of fencing on it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by sprkplug - 04/26/24 11:43 AM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:39 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by gehajake - 04/26/24 11:26 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 10:12 AM