Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,946
Posts557,795
Members18,484
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
9 members (John Folchetti, Knobber, shores41, LeighAnn, canyoncreek, esshup, Drago, Boondoggle, ArkieJig), 1,011 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#219171 05/29/10 10:05 AM
S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S
My pond was stocked 7 or 8 years ago with Channel Cats, LMB, BG and RE. We feed every evening except in the winter. I know that we have Cats 18 to 24 inch range because of seeing them feed on the surface. Not just one or two large cats but at least 20+. Over the past couple of weeks I have not seen one large cat. There is still a feeding freenzie, but it appears to be smaller fish. No sight of the monster cats. The past two days I have been fishing my pond with a Beetle Spin. Much to my surprise I am catching what I call eating size cats quite regularly. I assume that these are the off spring of my orginal stocking. There has been no dead fish found floating on the edge of the pond. Over the years I have lost some of the big boys, but nothing dramatic. Any thought on where the monster cats have gone?

Thanks,

CCC

Patches on your jacket don't buy you experience, you gotta fish!
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
I'm no expert but I'll bet they are still there. A google search tells me that CC live a long time so it stands to reason that the CC stocked 7 or 8 years ago have not died of old age. Have you tried bottom fishing for them? While at Lusk Lodge a couple of years back I had the opportunity to fish Bob Lusk's Channel Cat pond. Fortunately there were forum members present that knew what they were doing and they caught some BG, cut them into pieces, put the pieces on a large hook and tossed the bait into the pond. Dang that was some fun fishing action. The CC could not resist the BG chunks.

But learn from my wife and don't listen to me, wait for an expert to chime in.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S
Thanks Jeff,

It just puzzels me that after this many years of feeding they suddenly do not come to the feed.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Well like I said wait for some expert feedback. I don't know that much about CC, but lots of folks here do.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
When do CCs spawn? What are your water temps SCSCUBA1?

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Are you fishing while you are feeding them? Or maybe they're learning your fishing techniques(sp).

S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S
I checked the water temperature this evening using a pool thermometer. Checked it at depths of 4 to 10/12 feet and the temp ranged between 84.5 to 85. Not sure how accurate the thermometer is, but I would assume close. I have only fished the pond three or four time in the past six weeks. Have not caught any big ones. Not that it matters, but the pond has airation. Check some web sites today and they said April, May and June and water temps of 82 to 85 is when they spawn. I would think that the females would feed after droping the eggs. Again no big boys tonight.

S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S
No help here. Still trying to come to a conculision!

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
About this time of year, my CC will shut down, the smaller ones stay active but for the most part, they totally shut down. It happened in my pond several weeks ago, I think it has to do with spawning.

S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S
That is what I am thinking. Just have never noticed it before. The wife has been doing a lot of the feeding and never mentioned it to me. I cut back on the feed a little to see if that would stimulate them, but so far nothing.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I am haveing this problem too it seems...My question is do CC and BC stop eating feed at a certain age and size? It seems the BC seems to be growing much less than the CC's... Please experts chime in..

thanks..

S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S
Well, it appears that the big cats are coming back. My wife saw two wednesday evening and I saw one last night. I get all this heat has made the water very warm and they are honkering down in the cooler deep water.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Mine sometimes disappear for a few weeks at a time. Last night was the first time I'd seen them in several weeks. I'm thinking it may be because their bellies were full of the trout that died of heat stroke a few weeks back.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
S
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
S
They are backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk! Counted 10 tonight when I fed them. Life is good grin

O
Fingerling
Fingerling
O
Mine do the same thing. I've owned my pond for 3 summers and each year, the big boys seem to disappear for awhile. I've learned not to panic.

G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
I have the same issue with my .25 acre pond, but I had a problem with armored catfish that invaded during a flood awhile back but I have cast netted a majority of those out, but recently I had a friend from the east coast that is cleanin all the fingerling cats from his small talapia ponds...so he calls me and go scoop em up from his holding tanks! So I just put another 20 in a few days ago so hopefully I will set my balance right again!

The eyes have it 2 to 1 over the noses......
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Catfish are very fickle. As I've posted elsewhere, I have a love-hate relationship with these critters.

Sometimes they will act like huge vacuum cleaners when I feed the bluegill. Then for weeks they will disappear, yet I can catch a grill size trophy with a night crawler at end of the dock with minimal effort.

Fish are fish. Cats are cats. Neither are predictable.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
C
Lunker
Lunker
C
Our big ones tend to be finicky. They are more apt to come at my dusk feeding. Then again, sometimes they don't show up until I drive away on the ATV. Sometimes we see lots of < 12" ones feeding and sometimes it's just the big boys out there. If I could predict them, I would play the lottery on a regular basis.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
All I know about mine is that if they decide to go on a feeding frenzy I am going to harvest as many as I can as they are just at prime taste in my opinion.

More work for less meat, but it is firm and tasty right now.

So if there are some tricks for catching them in the winter let me know.

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I am having trouble catching my CC. They have been in the 2 1/2 acre pond since last November (09) and were feeding like crazy all Spring and Summer. I dropped a hook in and was surprised to catch some big, fat ones up to 16 inches long about 6 weeks ago.

As soon the first cold snap came, they quit feeding and biting. The young bass and BG really like that fact since they can eat now without being swallowed by the CC.

The only catfish I have caught lately is some stinking mudcat and I did not stock those. I can't catch a CC to save my neck and never see them anymore.

I have tried dough bait, shiners and night crawlers. I was braggin' on my big CC and invited some friends and relatives out to enjoy the fun and was embarrassed when we caught none.

Where are my CC?

R. Chandler

I am a subscriber!
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I use 4 to 5 inch BG when I really need to catch cats.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Have you tried to use some chicken liver or cut shad?

G
Fingerling
Fingerling
G
Or electroshock?! Just kidding guys.....lol

The eyes have it 2 to 1 over the noses......

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
Major Fail
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:44 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM