Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,051
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (jpsdad, Shorthose, Layne, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 623 guests, and 178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
B
OP Offline
B
Hi! I just joined the forum and looking for some wise counsel! I am building a 12 acre largemouth bass lake in Ohio that will have a long, curved dam due to the slope of the land from north to south (max height on the backside of the dam will be 36' in some areas). The two engineering firms we hired (one geotechnical and one design) are offering me an option between using a ductile pipe or a concrete pipe for the spillway. The pipe will be 100 linear feet and 18". Which would you recommend? I believe the ductile will be cheaper...but I am more interested in what is the best product for the job. It is very important to me that we have a solid dam and use the best material possible to prevent leakage. Thanks for your help!

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Why not PVC?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
We used 24" and 30" double walled PVC pipe for culverts on a farm addition last year, and have had 8" double walled PVC drain pipes running 60' and 180' from our two ponds for 15 years. Installed correctly (pieces slid together all the way), it doesn't leak or come apart after being buried. That's the material I'd be using in your situation.

P.S. Hi, DD!

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Howdy Theo/Steve

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I useed standard "green" plastic sewer pipe which will outlive me and many generations to come. Concrete lasts a long time though.

C
C
Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus
We used 24" and 30" double walled PVC pipe for culverts on a farm addition last year, and have had 8" double walled PVC drain pipes running 60' and 180' from our two ponds for 15 years. Installed correctly (pieces slid together all the way), it doesn't leak or come apart after being buried. That's the material I'd be using in your situation.

Is it double wall PVC or HDPE (polyethylene)? I can find corrugated polyethylene with ribbed interior or smooth interior (double wall) but would be interested in researching double walled PVC if you can provide a link.

See this for the HDPE (example only)
HDPE, double wall

Regardless of material, I would select a pipe with as smooth an interior wall and with as few joints as possible. IMO that will provide the drain that will be least likely to plug with debris. My concern with concrete would be the tendency to crack.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
I am in a duck club that uses the dual wall HDPE pipe in several locations under levees to hold and drain water. We just replaced a 24" one which developed a split after 17 years and eroded a "suck hole" in the top of the levee which I found when it collapsed under my Ranger. Personally I would not use it for a pond spillway in preference for schedule 40 PVC or smooth steel. 18" PVC may cost close to ductile steel anyway. Certainly in your case of a 36' high dam follow the engineering recommendations.

Last edited by Redonthehead; 03/14/17 06:59 PM.

[Linked Image]
Lunker
Online Confused
Lunker
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Originally Posted By: Theo Gallus

Is it double wall PVC or HDPE (polyethylene)? I can find corrugated polyethylene with ribbed interior or smooth interior (double wall) but would be interested in researching double walled PVC if you can provide a link.

See this for the HDPE (example only)
HDPE, double wall

That HDPE looks like what we used.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
T
T
Well, it looks like I will be replacing two 48" alum pipes that go under a main rd on my place. This rd gets me to the back of the property. Like redonthehead, I have two suck holes and water is now backed up in the creek. I am going to take a better look at it today and see which way I want to attack this. I am concerned that if I don't do something pretty soon, a heavy rain might wash out the rd. I am entertaining the idea of adding some valves to produce a duck hunting spot. I have no idea why the two big alum pipe collapsed.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
P
P
Tracy
I'm using two of those black corrugated pipe for my spillway and have not had any issues....yet

S
S
Originally Posted By: Redonthehead
I am in a duck club that uses the dual wall HDPE pipe in several locations under levees to hold and drain water. We just replaced a 24" one which developed a split after 17 years and eroded a "suck hole" in the top of the levee which I found when it collapsed under my Ranger. Personally I would not use it for a pond spillway in preference for schedule 40 PVC or smooth steel. 18" PVC may cost close to ductile steel anyway. Certainly in your case of a 36' high dam follow the engineering recommendations.

When I built my 3 acre pond, for whatever reason, the NRCS agent did not recommend the HDPE double wall. He called for sched 40 PVC.

That could be because my pipe slants down at a decent angle and has increased flow rates when covered with water and goes into siphon mode. Maybe the suction has something to do with it, but I am just speculating. A pipe that is mostly horizontal would not have that requirement.

Last edited by snrub; 03/15/17 12:48 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
OP Offline
B
I want to thank everyone for their inputs! After talking with our engineer he believes the Ohio Department of Natural Resources won't approve our dam design (that still sounds funny!) unless we use concrete due to the weight of the dirt on top of the pipe. I'm fine with that as I really want to enjoy the lake when it's completed and I don't want to have to worry about the pipe cracking or collapsing.

Thanks, again, to everyone who responded! I'll be back at some point once we break ground...or if I have some further questions! God bless!

C
C
I have a pond with a 15" pvc overflow pipe that I want to extend to bring up the level in the pond does anyone know how I could go about this? The pipe has already been cut off before so the small end with the gasket is not on it. The bell end of the new piece will fit over the old about two ribs in. But will seep water when the level begins to rise. Any Ideas?

R
Fingerling
Fingerling
R
So your overflow pipe has gasketed joints but has been cut off on the pond side - can you convert to solvent weld and use a coupling? Frankly I dont know if it is sized correctly or it the correct PVC.

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??