Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod, JRM
18,493 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,905
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
4 members (teehjaeh57, Snipe, Kanon M, Boondoggle), 506 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Ok guys, Thanks for all your help. We have determined we will be installing a bottom draw pipe with a standpipe on the backside of the dam.It will be 8inch schedule 40 pvc.A t for the upright and a valve for draining if ever needed. What kind of valve will work the best on sch. 40 pvc and where can I get one. Also I will be using a 24 inch plastic culvert for my emergency overflow pipe.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
D
D
8" valve? Oh my. There's some money. I found an industrial ball valve but it's about $2k.

http://www.spearsmfg.com/
Specific price list here..
http://63.156.201.111/SMCPDF/VALVES_BV-1.pdf

Tis rated for 150 psi. Be sure you protect it very well. If a vehicle hits that and cracks it, you'll lose a lot of water very fast.

PS: Slice gate valve.. not sure I'd really want that, but it's cheaper.. only $975.
Only rated 10 psi.. I'd be scared to use it with any notable depth pond.
http://www.americangranby.com/Products.a...lNHVjgwMFNMOw==

Last edited by DNickolaus; 10/14/14 08:35 AM.
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Flame
Ok guys, Thanks for all your help. We have determined we will be installing a bottom draw pipe with a standpipe on the backside of the dam.It will be 8inch schedule 40 pvc.A t for the upright and a valve for draining if ever needed. What kind of valve will work the best on sch. 40 pvc and where can I get one. Also I will be using a 24 inch plastic culvert for my emergency overflow pipe.

A knife blade valve from Valterra will work fine, as will any PVC ball valve. The PSI is pretty low...A 40 foot deep pond will only have about 17.31psi.

Bury the valve in the backside of the dam in an access tube to protect it in case of freezing weather or being hit.

Contact the guys at http://ponddampiping.com/ for several choices....

Last edited by esshup; 10/14/14 10:26 AM. Reason: added link

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd much rather see you have a emergency spillway vs a 2nd pipe for an emergency spillway.

How big is the pond going to be, and how many acres of watershed do you have?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
The pond is going to be 2 acres. I think a spillway may be the way to go. Do I just need to pour concrete? I would like to be able to drive over the spillway. What do you think? I am getting very frustrated with the idea of a stand up pipe at all. I plan to bottom aireate the pond so I am thinking of using plastic culverts now or just dig a spillway out and use no pipe at all. Its wearing me down guys.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
P
P
Flame

I'm new to this game also. I looked at a stand pipe but the cost was more than I wanted to pay with the idea that it can clog up for whatever reason and if it does you're ------ so I went with the spillway approach . I'm puting slag in it to keep erosion down and you can drive over it just fine. With beavers in the area they can plug a pretty good leak. I just put my bucks into the lake not the overflow. It's important by I liked the spillway better than the other options

Pat W

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman

A knife blade valve from Valterra will work fine, as will any PVC ball valve. The PSI is pretty low...A 40 foot deep pond will only have about 17.31psi.

Bury the valve in the backside of the dam in an access tube to protect it in case of freezing weather or being hit.

Contact the guys at http://ponddampiping.com/ for several choices....

If you need a 8" valve, Rex is right on - I also installed a Valterra 8" knife valve and it has worked reliably for two years. 9' depth very little head pressure has handled it without issue. I recommend the product, cost was around $500 IIRC.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Pat, Help me understand the concept of the spillway. Is the spillway area for keeping your pond at the level you want and then also have a emergency overflow? Or is the spillway the emergency overflow and I would maybe use a culvert for a drain somewhere else to keep the pond at normal pool? Anyone please help explain. Thanks Pond is 2 acres and costing more to dig than I thought. I am going to bottom aireate and have acess to a 6 inch water pump any time I need to draw the pond down for some reason.So I did not want to put a lot of money in the pipe system.

D
D
The overflow pipe is what sets the normal full pool level of your pond. That would be your bottom draw standpipe.

The emergency spillway comes into play when the water level rises above the capacity of the overflow pipe but below the top of the dam. It is an emergency way to get rid of a whole bunch more water in the event of a 50 yr rain or such.

Look at the link here:
VT Ponds

Figure 15.1 shows a top view and side view. They call the overflow a riser. You can see the emergency spillway is at a higher level and off to the side of the dam.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Pat, Help me understand the concept of the spillway. Is the spillway area for keeping your pond at the level you want and then also have a emergency overflow? Or is the spillway the emergency overflow and I would maybe use a culvert for a drain somewhere else to keep the pond at normal pool? Anyone please help explain. Thanks Pond is 2 acres and costing more to dig than I thought. I am going to bottom aireate and have acess to a 6 inch water pump any time I need to draw the pond down for some reason.So I did not want to put a lot of money in the pipe system.

Flame, when you sit on your bank, admiring your place, the cost will never enter your mind! Skimping on drains of fish are 2 of the most common, and COSTLY mistakes that can be made!!! How expensive do you think it is when a heavy rain blows out your dam and floods out your downstream neighbors or, God Forbid, injures someone??? A half acre pond, 10 feet deep that blows out a dam will send a wall of water a long way down stream!!

P
P
Flame in my area of Texas my pond may never get to pool. With that being said I went with a spillway in stead of the piping system. The spillway system is very common in my area. In fact no lake around me has anything but a spillway and has functioned that way for 30 years. Mine is probably 5-6' below the top of the dam and 20' wide. Your lake builder should know how to install as not to erode the dam if the overflow is in use. I just have rock in it to drive over in a high water situation. I saved about 3k$ this way and don't think there will be an issue. With all the beavers up in our area even a culvert can be risky.

Pat W

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 10/15/14 01:20 PM.
F
Flame Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks everyone. We will be making a decision soon.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:33 AM
Bluegill problem
by Snipe - 04/22/24 11:55 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana
by Boondoggle - 04/22/24 11:40 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Sunil - 04/22/24 09:00 PM