Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,109
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
7 members (Boondoggle, jbird5986, Angler8689, FishinRod, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Deancutler), 746 guests, and 176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#484490 12/22/17 07:22 PM
D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Just thought I would share a fall perch just before ice cover. These were stocked in the fall of 2013 at 4-6". This big girl was all of 13"s all ready.

Cheers Don.

Attached Images
fallPerch.jpg

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Great fish Don. That coloring is awesome!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Very nice perch. Your efforts are paying nice dividends. Good job.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
W
W
Congratulations that's awesome. Have you had a successful spawn yet? I have YP but no luck getting recruitment. I have seen some ribbons in the past but never see small perch. I suspect the Jumbo strain I stocked may not be suited for natural reproduction my area. I'm thinking I should try local perch if I want them to spawn successfully.

C
C
Woodster, we would love to know about your unique strain of 'jumbo' perch. If they can survive under the ice in Wisconsin, why do you think they would not be able to produce viable eggs?

A
A
Hello.

Nice Perch.
Do you think to do new experiments with Yellow perch eggs next spring.

A+

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Jumbo yellow perch from the Great lakes are often considered individuals in the 10" to 12" size range. YP of 10" to 12" are not all that big compared to bigger YP that can be raised in a well managed pond.. Jumbo perch is sometimes a word gimmick used by some fish farms to promote the sale of their perch. Examples of Lake Erie jumbo perch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-MeMc9FNZg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJi3YuSOZOo
Huge Monster Yellow Perch
It’s a matter of opinion!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4xNVHkVm5g

I am confident that your jumbo perch (YP) will produce fertile, viable eggs. I suspect that your jumbo YP eggs are hatching but the fry or fingerlings are not surviving. Lack of hatching success is a possibility.

Here is an experiment for this spring.
When you see some YP egg ribbons clip or break off a small or short section of eggs (1" to 3") long. Put the eggs in a 1 to 4 quart jar or similar container. Glass will allow best observation. If the egg cluster has white spots in it the eggs are not fertilized. Aquarium bubbler pump would help hatching process. . Plan on making making same temperature, regular water exchanges daily or every other day over the next 6 to 9 days. Allow eggs to incubate in water around 55F to 65F. In 4-8 days you should see small dark spots appear in the eggs. Dark spots are eye spots of developing fry. If eggs do not develop fungus, the cluster at hatching will gradually disintegrate. Look for what looks like small slivers of glass on the bottom of the container which are the YP fry. If you can get fry, the lack of YP recruitment in your pond is due to something other than poor quality eggs.

It is possible that the YP you bought were a graded size of perch and you bought mostly all female perch with very few males present. Male YP are smaller than females and buying one size of YP from a fish farm could bias your sex ratio of YP. If you have mostly female our our egg ribbons may not be getting well fertilized. Ideally for best fertilized egg ribbon production one want several males for each female.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/23/17 03:38 PM.

W
W
Yes "Jumbo" is a marketing term, and yes my Perch came from a fish farm. The guy at the fish farm told me if the water temperature drops too low the eggs will die. He told me he collects some ribbons and brings them inside to incubate for this reason. Once they hatch and the pond water is warmer, he puts them back in the pond. There could be a lot of reasons why I'm not seeing any young Perch. I was thinking if the strain of Perch I have spawns to early the water temp may be to low. I was thinking Perch from local lakes would be more in tune with local weather.

I have only had two years with spawning Perch so far, and as far as I know zero recruitment. So I'm on a mission to make it happen. There are of course good hatches in some years and poor in others. Maybe I just need to give it time.

I did some close observation of the ribbons I saw the first year. The eggs were mostly clear and a few were white. But I never did see the eyes. Eventually (weeks later) the clusters broke up. That is why I think the eggs died.

I will bring some in this spring and see what happens. That will be a fun project. Thanks

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Fertilized egg ribbons that break up after 7-10 days very likely did hatch. Colecting late stage eggs and incubating them in a container will verify the hatching occurred. When YP eggs are laid it has been tested and proved the eggs tolerate quite low water temperatures and still hatch well. This info was documented in an article in Pond Boss magazine. The info will be repeated in my upcoming PB articles about growing YP. .

W
W
Thanks Bill, I'm looking forward to your article. Like all pond projects seem to be this is a marathon not a sprint.

D
DonoBBD Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted By: woodster
Congratulations that's awesome. Have you had a successful spawn yet? I have YP but no luck getting recruitment. I have seen some ribbons in the past but never see small perch. I suspect the Jumbo strain I stocked may not be suited for natural reproduction my area. I'm thinking I should try local perch if I want them to spawn successfully.

We have had ribbons from the spring of 2013 in our pond. We are seeing recrutment to in the spring we can catch 5-1 new 6-8" to one original stocker.

Originally Posted By: azteca
Hello.

Nice Perch.
Do you think to do new experiments with Yellow perch eggs next spring.

A+

My son and I were able to release about 15 perch we raised from eggs in the shop. They were in the 2-2.5" length.

My son and I have learned so much that this year we hope to do better on numbers we can keep alive.

It is the most important thing to keep the egg ribbon cool. The cool will not hurt the development of the fry as much as to much heat will let mold race through the ribbon. Running a high dose of Methylene Blue really helps.

Next is finding food small enough for the fry to eat. Brine shrimp are not the best food for them. I think feeding as long as they can on the egg ribbon is best but you need to keep the ribbon from fungus.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
pond experience needed
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:46 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails