Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
victortechy, fishengelbert, Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra
18,475 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,938
Posts557,717
Members18,476
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
9 members (Freunb02, Boondoggle, emactxag, Theo Gallus, Snipe, Lake8, Theeck, Augie, FishinRod), 808 guests, and 380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Hi all-new here...this post has all of the facts about the pond I would be looking to "renovate":

http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=493479#Post493479

Basically all I want is for this pond to support some kind of fish-any kind of fish-I'm not picky. Just as long as my kids can catch and release and have fun.

R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
With a 5' minimum depth, it will be hard to avoid fish kills in your location. Distance to electric may not be as economically prohibitive as you think for aeration if you cover the distance with an air line rather than electric.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted By: RAH
With a 5' minimum depth, it will be hard to avoid fish kills in your location. Distance to electric may not be as economically prohibitive as you think for aeration if you cover the distance with an air line rather than electric.

I'm guessing this is because it will get too hot in summer and too cold in winter plus the solid freeze would trap gases, etc...? So would the only option be to dredge? If so, how deep would it need to be ideally? I was already tipped off to the idea of running air line instead of electric and am reading up on that now.

J
J
Swamp_Yankee,

I really enjoyed the photo of the Black Bear ... thank you for posting it.

With regard to fishing, this pond qualifies as a wetland so one approach is to work with fish species that dominantly inhabit such waters naturally. Generally these species can withstand very low DO conditions which is why they tend to dominate wetlands. Since you are not picky, here a few ideas to consider.

1. For mosquito control consider a topminnow which can be obtained locally. If a live-bearer variety is local to your area, all the better. Topminnows like the Gambusia-holbrooki or varieties of killifish may be locally available and naturally occurring where you are located.

2. To forage the muck of your pond, you may consider eastern mudminnow. Larger specimens can actually be caught on small flies and small hooks with bait (eg bits of hotdog).

3. As a predator you could consider a locally common bullhead species. These tend to over populate a pond but with a little effort you could learn to sex small adults and stock them single sex -- perhaps 20 to 40 of them every 4 years or so. They should easily reach 1/2 lb and larger under this scenario and you wouldn't need aeration for this set up.

4. Might be worth looking into a triploid grass carp if you don't want as much vegetation. Might also reduce DO events. The species above can withstand DO events however. I would mention that grass carp may not be able to survive DO levels that BH, EMM, and GAMs/KF can withstand.

The species above would work with your BOW as it is, attract other wildlife like herons and kingfisher, and control mosquitoes. Good luck with your project.

Last edited by jpsdad; 07/09/18 09:17 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers

S
OP Offline
S
Went to work cleaning up the banks, raking some of the muck out of the shallows, and pulling out aquatic plants:

I want to try to keep the banks trimmed short going forward-any tips on how to do it without making a mess in the water? Its tough to see but on the far side I pulled an actual woody/thorny bush that looks like it had started on the bank and then extended its root system into the water. The grass I'm going to have to pull by hand. I'm planning on putting an old canoe in and throwing the stuff inside as I pull it.

I freaked out when my rake caught this on the end of a stick I pulled out of the bottom:

My first thought was that it was eggs and that I had killed an entire generation of fish that I didn't even know that I had! Fortunately I found on Google images that it was just a bryozoan. Apparently their presence indicates good water quality, so that's a plus.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/16/24 02:35 PM
Braggin Time
by Lake8 - 04/16/24 02:21 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:49 PM
'Nother New Guy
by FishinRod - 04/16/24 01:42 PM
aeration pump type?
by Theo Gallus - 04/16/24 10:19 AM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Theeck - 04/16/24 09:49 AM
How to catch Hybrid Striper
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 09:45 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by Augie - 04/16/24 09:31 AM
fishing tackle and tackle room
by FireIsHot - 04/16/24 08:30 AM
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday