Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
12 members (Theschack, jpsdad, FishinRod, Boondoggle, Sunil, Funky, eaunatural, Theo Gallus, catscratch, emactxag, Bruno616, simon), 1,036 guests, and 185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#331205 04/19/13 09:40 AM
OP Offline

Heres a pic of the river from my pond.

Last edited by small pond; 04/27/13 11:06 AM.

Sarcasm...yet another free service I offer.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I notice you have a railroad track....
We have a railroad track about 5 miles away from
our property and we love the sound of the trains
off in the distance.

Look like a pretty place with all the trees.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

OP Offline
yeah it is pretty nice living that close to the rr tracks but you probably don't hear them as loud as us we live within 200 yards of the tracks heres a picture of a train that just came by 20 minutes ago

Last edited by small pond; 04/19/13 10:22 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
SP --

I know you've put a lot of physical labor and mental preparation into your pond. The photos you posted of the feeding fish makes it all worthwhile. That is fantastic.

I hope you are planning on doing something in the fisheries biology/management area. We need to continue to fill the ranks with young people who have the drive and passion for this.

If you ever need guidance, the PB group has many connections to some fantastic institutions, like South Dakota State University. I have a lot of good contacts in the Morgantown area if you want to talk to people about the many programs available. I've even got a few in PA. All are wonderful people who you would feel extremely comfortable meeting and working with.

Zep -- those of us in this 4-state region (Southern PA, Western MD, Northern WV, and Western VA) feel extremely fortunate to live in such a beautiful and friendly place.

Last night I went fishing at a 60 acre public lake about 30 minutes from home. Our WV Dept. of Natural Resources manages it for big bluegill (no bass can be taken) and fall/spring trout fishing. It is nestled deep in the mountains. The beauty is indescribable. The fishing is almost as good. I just wanted bluegill. There were four or five others at the lake obviously fishing for trout. I don't know how they did.

I took 30 redworms out of my worm bin. In less than an hour I was headed home with 25 pre-spawn BG between 8-9 inches. I think there may actually have been a few worms left in the container when I quit.

Appalachia is a wonderful place. It is a lot more like the life portrayed on Duck Dynasty than what is shown on Buckwild.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
Zep -- those of us in this 4-state region (Southern PA, Western MD, Northern WV, and Western VA) feel extremely fortunate to live in such a beautiful and friendly place.

catmandoo...i have never been to that area,
but i need to because it looks beautiful.
we almost had our cabins built by a neat little company in WV
and we were going to fly up there but ended up going a
different route.

i've been to Annapolis, which I guess is east MD,
but that's about it. PA/WV are on my "bucket-list".

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
ZEP - Just send me a PM if you ever want to visit.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
What's all eating? Is that 600?

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
OP Offline
the fish you see in the pictures are brook trout. They are feeding on melic fish food It's not very expensive at all and my trout are growing extremely well on it. On December 18 I stocked 20 11-12in brk trout as of today they are all 15-16in plus I stocked 5 large and expensive 17-18in brk trout they are now 18-19 in.

Last edited by small pond; 04/19/13 06:14 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Rainbows grow faster than Brookies. This one went in late October 2011 at 2# and it's right at 7# and 24" in the picture.

I fed them all winter, feeder was set on one feeding at noon, for one second. When more fish started feeding after the ice left the pond and the water warmed up a bit I bumped it to 2 feedings, each at one second. At that feeding rate (2x day) a 50# bag of AM600 would last 5-6 weeks. I stocked 150# of RBT in my pond October 2011. Was planning on stocking 75#, but when I went to pick up the trout they made a boo-boo and they were all 2# instead of 1# fish.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #331306 04/19/13 07:41 PM
OP Offline
wow esshup that rainbow is amazing. If my pond doesn't get to warm this summer I'm gona try to do something about the ph. I'd love to have some golden rainbows in the pond. btw how are the goldens doing that you stocked?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: small pond
the fish you see in the pictures are brook trout. They are feeding on melic fish food It's not very expensive at all and my trout are growing extremely well on it. On December 18 I stocked 20 11-12in brk trout as of today they are all 15-16in plus I stocked 5 large and expensive 17-18in brk trout they are now 18-19 in.

For the many years I've been with the WV Aquaculture Association, the number one trout feed for the commercial producers has always been Melick's.

I'd say you've made a good choice.

OP Offline
Thankyou

Last edited by small pond; 04/20/13 11:35 AM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
This is one of the smaller ones.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
SP --

I know you've put a lot of physical labor and mental preparation into your pond. The photos you posted of the feeding fish makes it all worthwhile. That is fantastic.

I hope you are planning on doing something in the fisheries biology/management area. We need to continue to fill the ranks with young people who have the drive and passion for this.

If you ever need guidance, the PB group has many connections to some fantastic institutions, like South Dakota State University. I have a lot of good contacts in the Morgantown area if you want to talk to people about the many programs available. I've even got a few in PA. All are wonderful people who you would feel extremely comfortable meeting and working with.

Last night I went fishing at a 60 acre public lake about 30 minutes from home. Our WV Dept. of Natural Resources manages it for big bluegill (no bass can be taken) and fall/spring trout fishing. It is nestled deep in the mountains. The beauty is indescribable. The fishing is almost as good. I just wanted bluegill. There were four or five others at the lake obviously fishing for trout. I don't know how they did.

I took 30 redworms out of my worm bin. In less than an hour I was headed home with 25 pre-spawn BG between 8-9 inches. I think there may actually have been a few worms left in the container when I quit.

Appalachia is a wonderful place. It is a lot more like the life portrayed on Duck Dynasty than what is shown on Buckwild.

Ken,

Great post and great encouragement. I wish I had a prof like Dr. Willis at South Dakota State when I studied fisheries. Ours was a real *&^^%!. LOL He was so tough only three of us graduated out of the program and that was a 2 year degree! I was one of his favorites until I joined a rock band. :-)

I agree with you about the beauty of anything in the Appalachian mountains. I really like the northern end up in northern New England. If I move anywhere after retirement it will be up there. The wife doesn't care as long as there is an Internet connection. But with all the holes in my yard filled with water I may have a hard time selling. :-)

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/20/13 10:56 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

esshup #331382 04/20/13 10:52 AM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Rainbows grow faster than Brookies. This one went in late October 2011 at 2# and it's right at 7# and 24" in the picture.

I fed them all winter, feeder was set on one feeding at noon, for one second. When more fish started feeding after the ice left the pond and the water warmed up a bit I bumped it to 2 feedings, each at one second. At that feeding rate (2x day) a 50# bag of AM600 would last 5-6 weeks. I stocked 150# of RBT in my pond October 2011. Was planning on stocking 75#, but when I went to pick up the trout they made a boo-boo and they were all 2# instead of 1# fish.

Scott,

Are the regular rainbows from Nelski which you have triploid females? I think Nelski gets at least some of his trout as eggs from Trout Lodge doesn't he?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

For the many years I've been with the WV Aquaculture Association, the number one trout feed for the commercial producers has always been Melick's.

I'd say you've made a good choice.

Ken,

Didn't Mellick make feed for Zeigler's for a short time after they had a fire?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
If my pond doesn't get too warm this summer I'm gonna try to do something about the ph.

Why?

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
If my pond doesn't get too warm this summer I'm gonna try to do something about the ph.

Why?
apparently the low ph of my pond is working in my advantage keeping the unionized ammonia low if my pond gets to warm this summer the low ph should keep the unionized ammonia in check right? will it harm anything if I raise the ph so the pond becomes neutral? the only reason i'd want to raise the ph is so I could have some golden trout.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
What is your PH again?

I would think it would be difficult to regulate PH with a flow through system. However it can be easier to raise it vs. dropping it.

What would you being using to raise it?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/20/13 01:26 PM.

OP Offline
My ph ranges between 5.5 and 6. I would be using limestone to raise the ph. I was thinking that I could let fresh spring the water seep through a barrel filled with limestone then run the water into the pond would this work?

Last edited by small pond; 04/20/13 02:16 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
If it's in the solid rock form it may not do much as I've never seen it leech much or break down in my ponds. On the other hand if your water is that acidic it could work on it vs. my PH of about 8.5.

Have you tried to do a search on doing what you propose? I think I've seen something on the Internet.

OP Offline
I have done some research on liming a pond but I havn't found any thing similar what I'm going to be doing.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I found this publication that limes trout streams in West Virginia. Nothing about application rates etc. though.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.netl.doe.gov%2Fpublications%2Fproceedings%2F00%2Fapp-rvr00%2F2-6.pdf&ei=mTZzUdueLYuE8ATV_YCgBQ&usg=AFQjCNGB28XJZoz1lV6YdxQEP92C-geaXA

Maybe Eric can dig something up for you.

OP Offline
here's a short video I made this morning while feeding the trout the first few seconds are slow but it picks up

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Nice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy