Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Preface for clarification:
Our pond property is somewhat remotely located and there is no power on our property. We had two "buildings" on our property. One is a shed (approx 8' by 20') that was built by a local shed company that we store tools in and therefore refer to it as our "tool shed." The second is an Agricultural Building that is basically a garage that does not have power or water to it which we refer to as our "Ag building" (since that is how it was permitted). From the names of our two buildings and my screen name you should be able to determine that I am not very creative when it comes to naming things. Fortunately my ex-wife named my daughter or she probably would have been named "dependent number one" (sorry just some miscellaneous tax humor thrown in for good measure). We had not been to our property in over a year and a half... primarily due to my wife's battle with skin cancer - which I am happy to report that she has won.

The Good:
We now have a much closer relationship with our immediate neighbor and two Sheriff's deputies. We have 200 feet of new fencing installed and fortified. We have brand new door locks installed on our Ag Building. We have additional security hasps and bolt cutter- proof locks installed on our tool shed. The thieves didn't steal as much as they could have (we believe they got spooked by something) and they didn't steal the "Traveling Lures" which I have retrieved (hence the post in the other thread). The deputy has lifted some "viable" fingerprints which have been forwarded to a crime data base.

The Bad:
We received a phone call last week by our neighbor (a neighbor that shares a fence line with us at our pond property) that he thought he had heard vehicles or equipment on our property the previous evening. We asked our neighbor if he would mind investigating. He did and found our "tool shed" and "Ag Building" were wide open and he believed that several items were missing. We asked him to call the sheriff, which he did. A deputy responded to the scene and called us to tell us our property had been burglarized (again). The Deputy told us we needed to get up there ASAP. I canceled my appointments and JWHAP and I drove the 500 miles to our property.

When we arrived we found that our "tool shed" was broken into, apparently the thieves used bolt cutters to cut the locks off of both ends of the shed.

As for the Ag Building, the thieves drilled a hole through both a door locks. The Ag Building has a steel security door and had two locks on it, a normal door lock and a double sided deadbolt. A 3/8" or 1/2" inch hole was drilled into both locks which allowed them access. Prior to this event I did not realize two things (a) how easy it is to access virtually any property (b) there are videos on line detailing how to drill out a lock. All it takes is a decent drill and drill bit, which the thieves got by breaking into our tool shed and they then used our own the generator to power the drill. Sucks don't it?

The Ugly:
From the two buildings the thieves took: our Polarius Ranger, Yamaha generator, Husqvarna chain saw, four solar panels, heavy jackets, flannel shirts, emergency radios, my Rotozip, and many miscellaneous hand tools and personal items.

This is only a partial list the actual list is quite extensive - the estimated loss at this point will exceed $15,000. Ironically many things of value (all of the fishing poles, Swisher mower, and an outboard motor, a trolling motor) were not stolen. We believe that the thieves were interrupted or became scared off by something. One of the thieves cut him/her self as there was blood in the Ag Building and our first aid supplies were used.

They also took the wheels (rims and tires) off of our smaller utility trailer. They must have lifted up the trailer using a 2x4 that was nearby and unbolted the rims and tires. Then they just dropped the trailer onto the dirt.

They cut the chain to our boat and it was down by the pond (they took the chain that was securing the boat as well).

Six of our seven of our "security/game cameras" were stolen as well. Unfortunately the seventh camera did not capture any usable images. We had the game cameras secured by a steel locking cases and Python Locks. In three instances the locks on the locking cases were cut by bolt cutters and in three instances the actual Python Lock itself was cut.

The thieves accessed our property by cutting the barbed wire and pushing over the "T" posts to our fence on the west side of the property and driving onto the property. It appears as though they had accessed the property for quite a while - - the property was driven on so much that a road has been cut into the grass. We repaired the fence (in the pouring rain) and added many additional "T" posts to make this access more difficult in the future and pounded in some 4' rebar stakes along the fence line as well.

We believe that they had been reconnoitering the property for a while and removed the security/game cameras prior to the theft.

What hurts more than the monetary loss (and the loss of some very useful things) was the loss of several personal items that were given to us (my wife and I) by our fathers (both of our fathers have passed away). Those items cannot be replaced by money and make me sick just to think about them. My father gave me my first set of Craftsmen tools when I was 10 or so - the vast majority of them are gone.

If there is such a thing as Karma then the thieves have earned themselves a large steaming heap of bad karma. If I had caught the thieves myself they would now be feeding my beloved GSF.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
Unbelievable. So sorry this happened to you JHAP. If this doesn't make you angry, check your pulse.

R
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
R
Jeff, thanks for the detailed account. I am so sorry you and Ricki have to go thru this.
Hopefully, this scum will be caught and sent to jail. They have probably tried to sell/pawn some of the items - surely someone can identify them. At least you shared some good news about Ricki and her battle with cancer. Congrats on that!!!

Just do it...
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Sorry to hear that Jeff.

You aught to just pack up and move to your property!

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Jeff, sent you an EMail

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
One of my neighbors has a game cam that sends an Email of any kind of movement to his PC. They can steal the camera but the pic has been sent. The connection is through AT&T.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lunker
Lunker
That just sucks JHAP!

I really hope Karma does catch whoever violated your property, what comes around goes around.

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Too bad the neighbor didn't call you when he heard the commotion. I would have him call immediately anytime he is suspicious in the future. I'm sure he will anyway now that you know him better.

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
L
L
Sounds like an opportunity to set up a "honey pot", using a game cam that sends back images of the thieves stealing an item of value used to lure them in.

That totally sucks though, and is one of the reasons I have never purchased a cottage or property that contains something of value I have to worry about. I have anxiety problems enough without adding to the heap. I would even worry if it were on my own place with me in it at the time!

If they hadn't cut the locks, there is nothing to prevent them from tin-snipping the walls or using a wrecking saw to go through a wall rather than trying the door. Your best defense is going to be catching the SOBs.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I bet it is someone near by who knows the property. I also bet the cops know more than they are saying.

Glad Ricki is ok !!!!!!!!!

Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Did they get some DNA from blood?

If you ain't gonna fart, why eat the beans?
RES,HBG,YP,HSB,SMB,CC,and FHM. .seasonal trout.
Administrator
Lunker
Administrator
Lunker
Hopefully the criminal that was injured and bleeding died a slow death from some vile debilitating contagious infection that also wipes out the rest of the perps. mad

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Infuriated and SEETHING.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Jeff sorry to hear about your property loss, but glad to hear that Ricki is doing well, that's the most important thing.

It seems that there isn't much that can be done short of land mines to keep a** holes from stealing property from absentee owners. Even with security camera's they can be gone before the police can get there.
I hope you have less problems in the future and soon can move to your property, machine guns included. grin

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Jeff I'm sorry for your loss, and very thankful Ricki is doing well. It stinks being violated like this, and losing the family heirlooms. Hopefully your neighbor can keep a much sharper eye out from this time forward and you will be upgrading to all new equipment - which is a bonus, I guess.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

J
J
Similar things have been going on near home for us too. Pickups stole and burned, guns, and valuables taken seem to be when no one is home either.

Sorry to hear about your loss. It is a shame.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jeff, I'm sorry to hear about the problems and I hope the police can catch them. With the items that were stolen, I am betting that at least something will surface and they'll get caught.

That's good news to hear that Rikki has a clean bill of health.

With absentee landowners, having good neighbors is a blessing. It helps if someone can keep an eye on the property when you aren't there.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Glad to hear Rikki beat the cancer. Really glad.

Oh the sadness of being an absentee land owner. Something to think about....ever since we've had our property, we've had a local guy who looks after the place and does certain jobs up there for us. I pay him about $300 to $330 a month.

It has helped keep the suckers away.

I'm afraid things will get more dicey in the next few years.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Geeze Jeff - that really is the good, the bad, and the ugly.

It is great to hear the Rikki is doing good. I was afraid that is why we hadn't heard much from you lately.

The break-ins are an issue around here too. Now and then they catch the SOBs. Drugs are the big reason for the break-ins, and this area has a very large number of nice vacation homes for people from the DC and Baltimore areas. Even small lots, like 3-5 acres, can be pretty isolated, so it makes it even easier to burglarize them.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Originally Posted By: Sunil

I'm afraid things will get more dicey in the next few years.

I think the same thing. My neighbors keep wondering why they get a honey ham every year, but they watch our place like a hawk.

AL

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Jeff,

Sorry to hear about this. I would be sick.

Sure glad to hear Ricki is doing well though.

Are you absolutely sure you can trust your neighbor? Sorry but there are some things there that don't add up for me. Or maybe I just read too many novels where the perp is the last one you suspect.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/29/12 09:24 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
Jeff, I echo everyone's sentiments here.

It is too far away for you to be able to check pawn shops on a regular basis for your things, but Craigslist is easiy accessible for you. There are $2 apps on smartphones that work even better than the web application. You can enter the zip code of the property site and then a certain mile radius. Every time someone would list an item matching what was stolen (Polaris Ranger, Husky Chainsaw, Generator) it would send you an alert. It would be easy to check every couple of days and only take a few minutes of time. PM me if interested and I can show you how to set it up.

Let the Polaris dealer in the area know it was stolen. I really doubt it would show up there but the scumbags may not be well thought out.

The law enforcement types on here can probably suggest some other stuff too. I really feel for you. I am losing faith in humanity.

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
Thank you all for the kind words and sentiments.

As in the past (our property was burglarized before) we have been looking into security camera systems. I have found several that send images via a cell phone connection. The problem that I have found with most of them is that either (a) they require a power connection or (b) they cost approximately $1,000 per camera. To effectively cover our property we would need at least four. If anyone has any other suggestions regarding security cameras (keeping in mind there is not power on the property) I would be happy to hear them.

In answer to some of the questions...
Originally Posted By: Jwwann
Did they get some DNA from blood?
No. They did lift fingerprints and have sent them to a data base. This is a rural county that has budget issues and they are not going to go to the expense of DNA testing for a theft. Hopefully the fingerprints will result in something. The deputy told us it could take up to four months to get the fingerprint results back. Definitely not like "CSI" on TV, no immediate finger print analysis, no DNA testing, no tire track or shoe print analysis. I don't blame the Sheriff's department I think that they are doing the best they can with the resources that they have.

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Are you absolutely sure you can trust your neighbor?

I'm not absolutely sure of anything Cecil and sadly don't trust many people anymore. This neighbor has had stuff stolen from his property as well and has set up an elaborate security camera system on his property (he has power at his place). He was the one that heard noises, called us, called the Sheriff and offered us any help he could. He has even gone so far as to offer to let us run a camera off of his system to our property if we purchased the cable and camera. I am looking into this alternative - we would have to run about 1,000 feet of cable but it might be worth it.

Originally Posted By: Victor
Let the Polaris dealer in the area know it was stolen. I really doubt it would show up there but the scumbags may not be well thought out.
Good suggestion on the Craigslist alert, I hadn't thought of that. We did notify all three Polarius dealers that are in the vicinity and the Ranger has been put on a stolen status - so if anyone attempts to have it serviced the VIN number will report as being a stolen UTV. One Polarius dealer told us that ATV/UTV thefts have skyrocketed in the past couple of years.

There is a house that is near our place that has been referred to as the "Tweaker House" that was a hangout for meth heads and generally bad folks. The Sheriff's department has made multiple arrests at that place and cleaned it out. The owners are cleaning it up and are going to put it on the market. Hopefully that will help. We suspect that it was people associated with that house that were involved.

Unfortunately our property was a prime target. Absentee owners, rural location, the buildings cannot be seen from any neighboring property or road. As soon as we can move up there we will but realistically that is probably years away at this point.
During this process so many people (clerks at Home Depot, Walmart, etc) told us about having stuff stolen. Rural areas that use to be somewhat immune to these events are no longer. Property crime is on the rise everywhere - IMHO a very sad sign of the times.

As you might imagine we are saddened and sickened about the irreplaceable stuff. Items that would probably only sell for a few dollars meant the world to us. We have to keep reminding ourselves that it is only stuff and does not diminish the memories that we have surrounding the items but I confess that this is easier said than done.

I'm trying to maintain a sense of humor (warped as though it is) but it isn't easy lately. This past tax season was my the most difficult one I've had in over 30 years. Two of my clients lost homes (I've been averaging 2 client foreclosures/short sales per year for the past four years), two clients closed businesses, many, many people lost jobs. I literally (the literally is for Bruce) had three clients breakdown and cry in my office when discussing their taxes and finances this past year. I try to remain detached and professional but many of these clients I've known for decades. And now the Twinkies debacle - how in the hell can I live in a world without Twinkies. shocked laugh

Thank you all for the kind words and support, they mean a great deal to Ricki and I and I mean that sincerely.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Lunker
Lunker
JHAP...in an attempt to remain lighthearted, there are still vanilla Zingers and Baccardi. Just sayin'

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

F
F
Originally Posted By: jeffhasapond
I'm not absolutely sure of anything Cecil and sadly don't trust many people anymore. This neighbor has had stuff stolen from his property as well and has set up an elaborate security camera system on his property (he has power at his place). He was the one that heard noises, called us, called the Sheriff and offered us any help he could. He has even gone so far as to offer to let us run a camera off of his system to our property if we purchased the cable and camera. I am looking into this alternative - we would have to run about 1,000 feet of cable but it might be worth it.

Instead of him running a camera, could you run a quick power source from his place to set up something of your own. Throw him a few bucks a month for the electric.

A few years ago, I was having some items stolen from my yard/business. It is too costly for a camere system to cover everything and fencing it in was too far reaching. So I started to look into alternatives. Apparantly you can set up an item that was refeed to earlier as a "honey pot". There was a company that sold a small tracking box that you would hide on the item. Battery operated. If the item was stolen, you would call the company up and they could tell you exactly where it was. Much like what alot of cars have on them today. The police go to where the item is, and if it is in a house they can't enter without probable cause. The company then turns on a siren inside the box when the police are there, and hopefully the end of story... If I recall correctly, it wasn't that badly priced.

Sorry for the grief. My folks got burglarized when were kids. They never really got over it. Always on their mind when leaving, couldn't relax on vacations, etc, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails