Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
I'm curious about fishing and catch and release only policies in New York city.
I am wondering if catching and releasing the fish is actually a bad thing. Would catching and collecting the fish over time eventually reduce the pollution in the lake providing the removed fish be collected and disposed in some way that would collect the toxins and pollutiantss.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Ebonbetta
I'm curious about fishing and catch and release only policies in New York city.
I am wondering if catching and releasing the fish is actually a bad thing. Would catching and collecting the fish over time eventually reduce the pollution in the lake providing the removed fish be collected and disposed in some way that would collect the toxins and pollutiantss.

Catch and release may not be a bad thing in a body of water that gets intense pressure. On the other hand it may be a one of those warm and fuzzy things in NYC that seems like the right thing to do and not the best management of the BOW. Complete catch and release can be just as bad as no management whatsoever.

One thing many of us pond owners have found is that fish learn and get harder and harder to catch with Catch and Release.

I'm aware that fish do collect heavy metals and other toxins over time, but seriously doubt they would be effective in removing said metals and toxins. This is especially true if the metals and toxins keep entering the ecosystem.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/10/09 06:27 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Interesting idea to remove toxins and heavy metals by keeping the fish you catch. If it worked, the Atlantic Ocean would be very clean! As Cecil said,

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
This is especially tue if the metals and toxins keep entering the ecosystem.

The problem is, there are far more toxins than you could ever remove fish and more toxins get dumped in the water every day...

E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Personally I think that attitude along withj the continued dumping is the problem. It's too big to do, takes more than we got.
I'd think if they were to get the dumpers to stop...(yeah thats the hardest part) and then they could work on the removal part which would actually be able to show results over time.
Yes it is theory but hey I'm a miner and while the mining I am doing removes the gold and I am working on filling in the holes left by other miners. I do find 1/2 to 1 grain of gold a day. Yes at todays that5 is about 1-2 bucks a day. It does add up and the aera I am working will taake me 1-2 hundred years to fill.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Ebonbetta
Personally I think that attitude along withj the continued dumping is the problem. It's too big to do, takes more than we got...

Repectfully Ebonbetta we're just responding to your question and don't think we are part of the problem. Trying to remove toxins via fish just doesn't make much sense biologically.Conversely You do know the history of mining and it's effect on the environment don't you? I believe cyanide has been used to separate gold from impurities? There is more than one river in the west that is permanently lifeless due to mining.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Ebonbetta, I certainly don't have the "it's too big to do, take more than we got..." attitude. I just don't think catching fish and removing them from polluted waters is the way to do it. Usually, bottom dredging is the fastest and most efficient way to remove pollutants such as that. However, that in it of itself can cause problems.

I do agree with you that continued dumping is a major problem but has greatly improved since the clean water act. However, I still see dumping of all kinds from septic systems in disrepair to public sewage treatment centers dumping nasty water into our waterways, to people dumping used motor oil down the drain, or tossing old batteries into the trash all the way up to industrial companies illegally dumping highly toxic chemicals.

I volunteer a lot of time in doing clean ups each year and am a member of numerous conservation organizations. I think you will find many other Pond Boss Forum members are also very active in conservation.

E
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
E
Please do not think I am mad or bitter at you all. It's proablly true that dredging the pond bottom will be the fasttest but even if you were to remove all the pollutants on the bottom of the lake wouldn't there still be an amount of pollutants that are in the fish and plants that have absorbed some of those pollutants ? My point is that the conntinueous removal of the pollutants would remove some amount of them and even at a slow rate it would be removal non-the less.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Fish, even in polluted waters have extremely low amounts of pollutants in them when compared to what is in the sediment. Removing fish with the purpose of removing pollutants is not a feasible method.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails