Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
4 members (ArkieJig, buzzdpm, Steve Clubb, Bobbss), 1,038 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#165560 05/27/09 09:14 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Moderators

I wanted to state I'm considering making another PK Shrimp order from Fattig's Fish Hatchery. I am only helping people out on costs by joining my order and saving them 60%, but I don't want this viewed as a solicitation or to breach the rules of the forum. I'm happy ordering another 1000 for myself, but am willing to cut others in who otherwise couldn't justify the expense.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks in advance,

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I don't see any problem.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
For those interested, this source is the best that TJ and I could find. I ordered 200 and survival rates were near 100%. How they are doing in the two ponds I stocked them in, no clue... They've been in there for about 1 month now. Everything from BG to bass love to eat them... If you have some weedy areas, even with fish present, there is a good chance they will take hold if your water chemistry is to their liking. I will give an update on my grass shrimp survival later this year when I do some seining in both ponds to see what kinda numbers are in there... This species of grass shrimp can thrive in complete freshwater, and is adapted to northern climates if you live farther north than some of the other species of grass shrimp can survive.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Okay - there you have it. I'm ordering some next week if I can be assured there might exist a window for spawning yet this year. If they can still spawn, I'll probably order 1000 and am willing to split it up with anyone interested. If we don't have a spawning window I will most likely wait until next April for my order.

Let me know - I'm happy to lend the qty discount to anyone in the forum if you're interested.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
Yes I would also be curious of the spawning window.

Get out and fish.
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I am very intrested. What would the cost be? I don't have the habitat for them yet but maybe soon.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
One of the best grass shrimp Links I have found... Has some information on spawning time period, fecundity etc... Unfortunately, P. kadiakensis is not as well studied as other species. It does appear that it has a lower fecundity than other grass shrimp species though...

From what I understand, there are two brooding times of the year. Shrimp that were born in the fall of the previous year, spawn in the spring of the following year. Shrimp born in the spring of the year, spawn in the fall of that same year. Shrimp reach mature spawning size at around 0.6 to 0.7 inches. Most shrimp die between 6 and 13 months of age...

J
Lunker
Lunker
J
So if adult shrimp are sent and have spawned, they may not live until the next spawning chance?

Get out and fish.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Hey Ric, where have you been?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Hey Dave, lurking I think it's called. I try to check in daily just don't have much to add or the time to. You guys are good!
Hope all is well with you & family.

Pond Boss Subscriber & Books Owner

If you can read this ... thank a teacher. Since it's in english ... thank our military!
Ric
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Sounds to me as if there is an Autumn and Spring spawn. I'm hopeful we'd have a good chance for half the qty to still have a spawn left in them, then. Guess it stands to reason. I suppose the shrimp I received this Spring were the same - half spawned or will spawn this Spring, half will this Fall.

Cost for most orders is $1/shrimp. If we get 1000, he drops the price to $.40/shrimp. If we did 2500-5000 I could probably get him to drop that price further. I am leary of buying that many, however, as they are VERY difficult to count and while I'm not suggesting Fattig is anything but honest, how they heck can HE count them accurately, either....if you get my point.

Let me know if I can help anyone out.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I might be interested in ordering some. When will you be placing the order, and is it possible to have them shipped to TN?

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
 Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Cost for most orders is $1/shrimp. If we get 1000, he drops the price to $.40/shrimp. If we did 2500-5000 I could probably get him to drop that price further.

My goodness. I'm in the wrong business. The shrimp are easy to catch. Certain times of the year I can catch 15-20 in a dip net in 1 swipe. I guess the devil is in the packing and shipping. Good luck with your project.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
No kidding - I would like to be able to get PK reproducing with my FHM in a forage pond to keep stockings continual in my ponds. I think the price is very high for PK, but I've only been able to find 3 sources and the others want $12/12 shrimp - sold mainly for fresh water aquariums, I guess.

Walt - Dale Fattig mailed them to Willy in OK and Travis in VA for $30 overnight each. He's willing to split up the orders.

FYI - there's absolutely nothing in this for me with the exception of a lot more work coordinating and fronting all the capital - I'm just trying to help out fellow PB forum members to whom I owe a lot of thanks. I'm sure Dale would love to work with any number of you - I just promised him I'd try to turn the forum onto him.

http://www.fattigfish.com

Dale Fattig

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
I'll try some. Send me a PM with details on when you'll be placing the order. I've got a five-acre pond with some 'gills and shellcrackers that would like to make the acquaintance of those shrimp (if they can get to them before the bass do). I just hope some of the shrimp will avoid getting munched long enough to spawn.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I can vouch, TJ definitely worked his butt off to make things happens for me. He's just a class act! I think the reason TJ and I like the Fattig source is they are raised outdoors in Nebraska, so we know they will tolerate cold winters. Grass shrimp are an excellent food source for BG and particularly RES. Missouri DOC and others recommend stocking them in ponds to increase growth rates of sunfish.

W
Lunker
Lunker
W
Awesome. I have no doubt they'll be warmly welcomed in the pond - I just hope a few survive the horrific onslaught long enough to duck into some cover and propagate (hopefully prolifically).

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
From what some others have said, fish who aren't used to eating them are kinda clueless at first and it takes a while for them to figure out they are food. Once they figure it out though, it's chow time!

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: Walt Foreman
Awesome. I have no doubt they'll be warmly welcomed in the pond - I just hope a few survive the horrific onslaught long enough to duck into some cover and propagate (hopefully prolifically).

Walt

I'm considering creating a forage pond for issues just like this...or maybe constructing a fish gate/net in a creek arm to provide some safety for forage to develop and establish. Is this an option for you?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
teehjaeh57 ..I have sent you a PM @ the shrimp...du

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Hey all;

Good news - with increased qty on our collective orders I negotiated another 15% off - down to $.35/ea. Next Monday said he can begin shipping - arrival Tuesday. This will likely be my last order for the year as I highly doubt I can slide this one past my wife - so if anyone wants aboard now's the time. Please PM me and include your email address and shipping address.

TJ

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
With as much business as we're giving Fattig, he should become a Pond Boss advertiser! HAHA

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I would like to begin breeding these beauties and reselling to the PB Forum exclusively for a much much cheaper price. I just need to get my forage pond built.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I think this is all Bobad's fault.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM