Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,097
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,415
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Bing, Fishingadventure, Dylanfrely, Angler8689, Sunil, esshup, jpsdad, azteca, BillyE, H20fwler, FishinRod), 693 guests, and 270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#55207 06/19/05 07:55 AM
R
Rad Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Well we got the planned fishing expedition off on schedule and the rain came on schedule as well. Both arrived at the pond at the same time. The boys couldn't wait and were funny to watch trying to cast in the wind, with gear new to them. The storm blew over in about 20 minutes and we caught the first of 4 red bellied pacu. We got a lot of bites but not many hook ups. I switched bait and started catching tilapia, again lots of bites but few hook ups. We caught 4, one, 10" and 1/2 lb, and 3 about 8". The 4 pacu were a little larger going 11 3/4" 1 1/2 lb and three around 10-11". The tilapia were stocked at 1 1/2" on March 8 the pacu on March 24 at 1 3/4" The photo if it works is of two of the 10-11" pacu.
Oh yeah, the bait? cucumber of course for the first 2 pacu then cabbage for the other pacu and the tilapia, probably almost everybody knew that, right?

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
#55208 06/19/05 10:41 AM
D
D
Rad,

Those Pacu are growing fast, have a few in my pond. After 3 years of growth many are over 12 pounds and super mean on a rod and reel. However, they are starting to become a pain in the arse, as they are very aggressive eaters and over compete with the other species at feeding time. Also they have almost a "human" set of teeth which is hard on monofilament lines when I am trying to target the finicky Tilapia or other species. The Pacu are very intelligent and when they get older become dificult to hook on lines strong enough to battle them in. When I do land the Pacu now I am removing them from the pond.

I see your pond size is not so large, will you be doing the annual "suknam" (pumping out) or do you plan to manage the lake through the years?

See the boy in the photo is having a grand day, so sure you must have had one also. In Thailand its great to take a kid fishing (like elsewhere!).

Don
#55209 06/19/05 10:44 PM
R
Rad Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Don,
Thanks for the reply. I caught a couple of 5 pounder pacu from a friends pond and they were really fun. I am using wire leader or long shank hooks trying to solve the teeth problem. I am going to try to manage the pond for year around water. I built the pond in a former rice paddy and the water table is very high, I believe if it were not for the clay soil the pond would be crystal clear. I am thinking about stocking transverse barbs as I have heard that they can be caught with lures, do you know anything about them? Re: after catching a couple of pacu they, the pacu, became very scarce and thats when we caught the tilapia. The cabbage was chinese by the way.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
#55210 06/20/05 08:07 PM
D
D
Rad,

I am not sure what a Transverse Barb is. There is a fish that is white and has a black spot on his side that is often called a Jungle Perch that is aggressive, is this the fish? The described fish is in my lake and they're a lot of fun when I catch them schooling either with lures or minnows. Let me know the description and will let ya know if I have had any experience with them.

The fish that I have stocked though for sportsfishing is the Peacock Bass, and they are doing great in my lake. You often can find them in the aquarium shops around Thailand. I first located them in Udon Thani but paid a premium, I found them in the Weekend Market in Bangkok...have you ever been there? When you go through Krung Thep it is well worth the visit, fish species from just about all over planet earth, with the exception of the US largemouth bass (which I still plan to stock someday).

I have a big problem in my lake also with the clay turbidity, we are at opposite ends of the country but I notice it in most all ponds as I travel across the country. I have done some research on it but it would take such huge amounts of gypsum to correct it, plus it is my understanding it is a one shot cure, that I have pretty much resigned myself to accept it. What I do now when lure fishing is throw predominently lures with rattles so the gamefish can find them.

I have never fished with vegetables yet, sounds like your doing well with them! I am currently in Afghanistan working for a few months, but will be trying that when I get back. Do you often feed cabbage to the fish? I notice Pacu will eat about anything.

Don
#55211 06/26/05 11:25 PM
R
Rad Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Ok this week we moved to fruit, bananas, green grapes and apple. The pacu hit all 3, the tilapia hit the apple, well, they ate core and all.

Dwight Yoakam
#55212 06/27/05 11:50 PM
D
D
Rad, concerning the Tilapia and the apple, were they agressive on the bite? Did it seem like the smell in the water attracted them to the bait? Apple has some weight and floats so sounds like a perfect bait if the Tilapia cooperate...both as a float indicater and for casting.

Don
#55213 06/29/05 12:53 AM
R
Rad Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Don,
As with all of the bait they take, they grab it and pull it under water then try to eat it. My tilapia are for the most part to small for the apple to be effective yet. I was using a long shank hook for the pacu and its weight required a fairly large piece of apple. Plus the apple I was using was firm. The fish would repeatedly grab the bait amd pull it under and it would resurface shortly there after, unless it was one of the largest fish, 10". But, their interest was high. Not as high as with the cabbage though. I think I can catch them all afternoon on the cabbage. Hooking and casting it is the real challenge.

Dwight Yoakam
#55214 06/29/05 06:57 AM
R
Rad Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I bought vegetables from the outdoor market, midday so they were not exactly fresh, but cheap. Cabbage, of course, cucumber, green beans and corn. And, as usual the tilapia ate all of it. The cucumber and green bean are like the apple, to float the hook the piece needs to be to big for my fish to take in one bite. Cut in small pieces, all of it is gone. The corn is the same it sinks the hook, but each individual kernal floats, is eaten almost as soon as it hits the water. I am only fishing the surface now because it gives me instant results. The reason I started the vegetables in the first place was to cut down on the cost of the pellets and these fish are supposed to but veggie heads anyway. I caught 6 tilapia in about 15 minutes. As I said before, now the real challenge is baiting the hook and casting cabbage. Sounds pretty manly huh?, "I caught this here messo fish on chinese cabbage." A small caveat, they may be eating some of this stuff because its new and different. Another caveat, they all are fat, no body is under fed. Somebody try this please so the rest of you don't think I am crazy.

Dwight Yoakam
#55215 06/29/05 08:08 AM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Rad,

I'll try it, but it will be in October or so. I want the stockers to get as large as possible before taking them out for the dinner table. Thanks.

#55216 06/29/05 08:38 AM
D
D
Rad, have you tried a small float a couple of feet up from the bait to give you some weight to cast? I've tried the corn a couple of times, but have not caught anything with it. The apple and the rest of the veggies sounds intrigueing and will be trying it when I return for a couple of weeks in August. Will have the wife start throwing some salads in a couple of weeks before I get home to condition them on the "new and easy" diet so hopefully will have so suckers ready to pluck. I'll tell her about the apples too...but her Mom loves them, don't know if I can get her to go that far, they think I am insane already with my catch and release policy on the peacocks!
Meadowlark have you tried any flies resembling any feed pellets, corn or fruit?

Don
#55217 06/29/05 08:54 AM
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Don,

Yes I have caught Tilapia on flies...and it is spectacular, tremendous fun. I have caught them on grasshopper imitations, but you have to fish for them just like bonefish...target individual fish in shallow water, place the fly right in front of them, and move it only slightly. They are absolutely a blast on a fly rod...but its just very difficult to get them into conditions where you can catch them, but when you do, man what fun!

p.s Don, have located a pair of red belly Pacus large enough(8 inches) for stocking in Pond...will let you know what happens.

#55218 07/28/05 06:53 AM
R
Rad Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I was cleaning out the fridge and found some snow peas, a head of regular cabbage, green leafy things? and small pieces of what was once fresh pineapple. After I fed the pellets and had everyones attention, I threw the peas, cabbage and the green leafy stuff, tilapia and pacu ate it with relish. Next the pineapple, it might have just started to ferment, they both hit it as it hit the water. So I got the rod, which I just happened to have in the car, and cast a small piece of pineapple, wham a pacu, next cast, wham a pacu, next cast, wham a tilapia. The pineapple is a great bait for me, it usually floats and is heavy enough to cast. I hope Greg doesn't read this, making fish aggresive by feeding them pineapple. Blows my whole theory out of the water. Thats why he is the pro.

Dwight Yoakam
#55219 07/28/05 07:31 AM
Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
making fish aggresive by feeding them pineapple
Imagine what could happen if you feed them passion fruit.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
#55220 07/28/05 07:38 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
RAD,

I'll have to remember the pineapple, because I will probably stock tilapia.

How big are your pacu's? Are they vigorous fighters? Do yours have the human-looking teeth?

#55221 07/28/05 08:58 AM
R
Rad Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
Bobad,
The pacu are about 14" and approx. 2 lbs. I have had them since Mar 24 when they were 1 3/4". They are a kick to catch, they run side to side, adding their size to their pulling power. They are like the tilapia in that they are water temperature sensitive, however, they are not easy to breed and I am told will not in my pond. Both the tilapia and the pacu eat about any fruit or vegetable I throw to them. But, I have caught the tilapia on bread as well. I had a kid visit the other day and he caught 10 tilapia in 2 hours, on cabbage. He used a bamboo/cane pole and stood in the same place for the entire time.
The pacu's teeth are very human looking after a while. They start out looking tubular, uneven and sort of hollow, they must grind smooth as they age. The larger two year olds I saw had teeth that really looked human. All in all a fun fish, I have a lady who is doing some work in my pond and the pacu will nip her legs, not bite, just use their lips. She hasn't seen the teeth.

Dwight Yoakam
#55222 07/28/05 11:05 AM
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
RAD,

I will definitely stock a few pacu just to see how they do in my relitavely short season in Louisiana.

I would absolutely love for my brother-in-law to hook one and get a picture of his facial expression when he sees those teeth.

I fished a few ponds in S. Texas and caught my first "Rio Grande perch". Man, that fish had teeth like a pirhana, and in fact looked more like a pirhana than a sunfish.

#55223 07/28/05 12:05 PM
D
D
Bobarb, If you think the Rio Grande Perch looks like a Piranha, wait till you stock the Pacu! Lot of times Pacu are sold as Piranha. When the Pacu comes out of the water they chomp on the hook...kinda like grandpa with a ear of corn! Let us know how your stocking goes, unfortuneately you are starting to get later in the season so growth will be limited. We are all interested to see what happens in the South USA with a full growing season (goes for M/L also). The Pacu can eat about anything so will find a niche all to himself in the states...offhand a guess on my part says one could cross 2+ pounds in 6-7 months.

Don
#55224 07/29/05 08:05 AM
E
Lunker
Lunker
E
Gents,

does the Pacu eat cattails? That would be great.

Thanks.

#55225 07/29/05 10:45 AM
D
D
Ed,

Don't think the Pacu will eat cattails. I have a lot of floating grass around the edges and they or Tilapia will eat the older leaves that are submerged as they soften and dye but don't eat the green leaves.

Don
#55226 07/29/05 10:49 AM
D
D
Rad, I will be trying the pineapple and see what the results are. Appreciate your tips!

Don
#55227 07/29/05 07:55 PM
R
Rad Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
R
I hope some of the bait works for someone. I just gave a new rod to one of the kids who helps me around the pond and of course we had to try it out. All I had was a pair of heels from a loaf of bread. He caught 6 tilapia in about 30 minutes. As you know my pond is very small and I now only feed in one place, before I feed in the structure at each end. Anyway, I fish right after feeding, the bigger tilapia cruise just under the surface around the structure and the pacu are just a little deeper. So all of my experience is based on that time period. The tilapia are beginning to peel of line with the drag set at 2lbs. You should be home soon,huh?

Dwight Yoakam
#55228 07/30/05 08:41 AM
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
There goe's Theo again !

maybe some of those " Miss Prissey " Flies !

Hmmm .

Rad #497426 10/12/18 01:40 PM
C
C
found an awesome old thread when searching PondBoss on catching Tilapia. Half way down this thread even got Theo G to chime in with a suggestion smile

I was thinking about water temps diving (we will be in the 30s tonight) and there was a thread somewhere where people were recording when the TP started going sluggish or belly up. Are we close to that time yet or did we miss it?

Then there is always interest in catching the TP or netting them so they can go in the frying pan. Any one have success with this?

Suggestions in the past were use pellets to feed them, then use a pellet imitator like a StubbySteve pellet or even a small piece of brown rubber worm, or some have put real pellets in a piece of nylon stocking to catch them.

I found this thread interesting at the wide variety of fruits and veggies that TP might actually bite on.

A
A
I'm not sure the TP will be biting much after the cold snap (night temps down to high 40s) this week, but would love to catch a few before they expire. Gotta try Stubby steves and maybe bread.

Anybody have advice on HSB lures? Water temps are down to levels where they can survive a fight. Silver spoons, Mepps, or...?

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Rad #497445 10/13/18 06:54 AM
T
T
Every year has been different for me when trying to catch Tp. When I had a lot in the pond I could catch them on beaded fly. But, when I had large numbers of them in the pond and when they started to slow down due to colder weather, I would see all kinds of birds and animals feed on them at the pond. A Bald Eagle even took up residence close by that year and feed on them daily. Today, with lower stocking numbers, I would use a cast net if I wanted to catch them. I may not catch a lot of them but based on last year I think I could catch enough to have a meal or two. And I want them before they get stressed because they have had a gross looking fungus on them just before they went (or go) belly up.

Frank, Power Bait makes a rubber type 5" minnow bait that my hsb will tear up. Sorry but I can't think of the name right now. There are several different ways to rig it up. You can rig it up like a weight less jerk bait or Carolina style, using a small weight about a foot or two above the hook and bounce it off the bottom. Look for them in the plastic worm section of bass pro shop in Bossier. I like them because they catch fish and they only have one hook verses other minnow type baits that usually have two sets of treble hooks. Most any shad looking type bait works well. And if you are into fly fishing then try streamer type baits and other types for catching them on your favorite fly rod.

Last edited by TGW1; 10/13/18 06:56 AM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 05:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 04:51 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by BillyE - 03/28/24 04:35 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Newly Uploaded Images