Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M
18,498 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,944
Members18,499
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
8 members (Chris Steelman, Rick O, Justin W, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, MOLINER, catscratch, Joe7328), 870 guests, and 494 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
A
OP Offline
A
Hi Folks,

With my wife and me looking at land on which we will build a few large ponds/lakes (5-10 acres), we realized that we have not been able to locate a source of water temperatures, even for the major lakes in the southern Appalachians, let alone what water temperatures we can expect in ponds.

For a bit of parameters, we will likely be pretty high up (3,000ft or above), and will dig our ponds pretty deep and feed them with spring water, as well as lay down a heavy layer of different sizes of stones to make it more suitable to the species we want.

What I'm hoping is to hear from some folks who live in the Appalachians (we will be high up in western North Carolina) as to what water temperature range they are getting throughout the year. Minimum temperatures aren't really important, as I know they would bottom out at 32, and any pond up there will be too cold for threadfin shad as a forage species. However, the highest temperature they get in the summer is what I am wondering, so we can plan the right kind of fish. I even have the mad scientist idea of getting Arctic Char going, and they need it COLD!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I have a little bit of experience with this in the Appalachian area, to the brackish and saltwater areas.

In the mountains we can pretty much plan on water coming out of the ground from springs that will probably be about 53 F degrees, plus or minus a few degrees.

I'm retired. I have no desire to get into the issues regarding climate change issues. And, we don't need/want those high energy issues here on the Pond Boss site.

But there many factors that will affect water temperature after it hits the earth's surface, especially when you start adding water flow, acres of direct sunlight surface, water color/ depth, etc. I don't have a good answer for you. But, here in the WV/VA/NC Piedmont region, we have waters that stretch over a big range of temperatures, pH levels, nutrient levels, etc.

My four WV ponds, on just 25 acres, are all very different from each other.

In a pond that is several feet deep, the chance of getting water near the bottom below about 39 F degrees in Appalacia is nearly impossible. Our frost lines dont reach much more that about 36 inches. Your pond bottom will fill with the heaviest/densest water, which is 39 F degrees -- unless it is highly poluted with various chemicals. In general, even with the scare stories on TV and talk radio, the chances of such natural or man-made pollution is going to be rare in our mountains.

I've read some of your other posts about a desire for crappy-only ponds. It just won't work without some serious and healthy apex predators to keep the high-year recruitment populations under control, and to keep them from over populating and stunting. Worst of all with crappies, during some years they don't provide enough forage to keep the predators healthy. Another regularly proficient species will probably be needed to keep the top-line predators healthy.

There are a lot of good options, but they generally don't come without a tremendous amount of the stars aliginging perfectly, or they should use well researched and peer reviewed published information.

Friends have had some success with Arctic char in waters being pumped out of Appalacian coal mines. It may have been OK as a hobby, but with the best of the best experts helping, it could not be made commercially profitable.

Lastly, your pond plannings are sounding like they may be pretty large. If they are to be a few acres, you should have few issues. But, when you start to get into dams in the range of 20-25 feet in height, and tens of surface acres, you will need to work with the US Army Corps of Engineers from a safety standpoint. You may need to work with the EPA, and possibly others agencies.

I would strongly suggest you start with a visit to your local NRCS office. Before you start anything, they can provide you with a lot of good advice, and with a lot of knowledgeable contacts, including excavators, fisheries biologists, etc.

Regards,
Ken
Hampshire WV
Frederick County, VA
Brunswick County, NC
(West Virginia Aquaculture Association, Vice President)

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:31 PM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by ewest - 04/24/24 11:21 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 10:04 AM