Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
10 members (Zep, Mainer, Donatello, Joe7328, Shorthose, Snipe, NADam, ArkieJig, highflyer, Lake8), 1,160 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#311318 11/06/12 08:09 PM
H
OP Offline
H

Thought I'd post depressing pics of the drought's effect here in NE Kansas .............

Then, when it used to rain......

Now..........

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Oh man that's not pretty sorry to see that

I believe in catch and release. I catch then release to the grease..

BG. CSBG. LMB. HSB. RES.

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Bluegillerkiller
Oh man that's not pretty sorry to see that

Thanks Bluegillerkiller! Yeah, it's actually much lower now... That last pic was taken in July. There's still CC & BG in there, but I don't know how they've survived. Can't be 3' deep. I'm sure a good freeze will get em'..... I built the pond 25 years ago & this is the lowest I've seen it since it was built. I don't have a well & it probably wouldn't make much difference if I did.......

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Sorry to see these photos. Time to kill off the remaining fish population, add some depth and structure if you want, and consider your next fishery plans for Spring.

Consider a punching a well...it's great for peace of mind. Mine pumps 50 GPM and keeps five ponds in good shape [four .3 micros and a 3 acre], even during this drought in NE. Your pond looks like .5 - 1 acre - even a modest flow should keep it topped off easily. Best money I ever spent for my ponds.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Sorry to see these photos. Time to kill off the remaining fish population, add some depth and structure if you want, and consider your next fishery plans for Spring.

Consider a punching a well...it's great for peace of mind. Mine pumps 50 GPM and keeps five ponds in good shape [four .3 micros and a 3 acre], even during this drought in NE. Your pond looks like .5 - 1 acre - even a modest flow should keep it topped off easily. Best money I ever spent for my ponds.

Thanks teehjaeh57!

Hmmmmm..... Interesting! I've posted here in the past, questioning the efficiency of a well for my 1/2A pond & came away thinking it wasn't a viable option..... Perhaps I misunderstood what I was being told..... I've done my research on the Kansas Geological database & wells in my area are producing 5-10 gpm which pales in comparison to your 50 gpm. Don't know if this would be enough water to support my pond...

Lunker
Lunker
Hi NE.KS [sorry, can't risk, "Hi Handsome" if I want to retain the shred of credibility I have on the forum]

I think it would be useful to contact neighbors and ask them what their experiencs are with well performance and who they used to punch their wells. Then, I'd call the well drillers and get their opinions on water availability. Seems a good place to start. I realize some areas differ greatly in groundwater availability...but if you go deep enough, I think generally there's more water to target.

In SE NE we average 29" of precipitation annually. So, the standard formula is it requires 33 acres of watershed to manage a 1 acre pond. That's a very rough rule, obviously, as pond depth, what the watershed vegetation consists of, etc. My point is, for a .5 acre pond, if our stats are similar, you'd need 17-20 acres of watershed to keep water levels managed.

I don't think dropping $10k on a 5 GPM well is necessarily a great idea - but again I'd spend some time researching with neighbors and local well drillers to get a better idea of what you're dealing with.
If you can access 15-20 GPM that, IMO, would be worth the effort of punching a well. Again, that's just how passionate I am about my ponds...not the right answer for everyone.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
You have any way to get many of the fish out before winter gets here. I have a pond that has been 3 foot or so for years and thought fish were all dead. I was wrong, but now this year I think it is only 2foot and if we have a hard winter all fish will be gone this time.

It is full of muck so not an easy way to get the fish out if any are left after this hot summer.

H
OP Offline
H
Hi NE.KS [sorry, can't risk, "Hi Handsome" if I want to retain the shred of credibility I have on the forum]

I think it would be useful to contact neighbors and ask them what their experiencs are with well performance and who they used to punch their wells. Then, I'd call the well drillers and get their opinions on water availability. Seems a good place to start. I realize some areas differ greatly in groundwater availability...but if you go deep enough, I think generally there's more water to target.

In SE NE we average 29" of precipitation annually. So, the standard formula is it requires 33 acres of watershed to manage a 1 acre pond. That's a very rough rule, obviously, as pond depth, what the watershed vegetation consists of, etc. My point is, for a .5 acre pond, if our stats are similar, you'd need 17-20 acres of watershed to keep water levels managed.

I don't think dropping $10k on a 5 GPM well is necessarily a great idea - but again I'd spend some time researching with neighbors and local well drillers to get a better idea of what you're dealing with.
If you can access 15-20 GPM that, IMO, would be worth the effort of punching a well. Again, that's just how passionate I am about my ponds...not the right answer for everyone.

Yeah, the "Hi Handsome" thing has gotten a couple guys in trouble on PB! LOL

I appreciate your input. A well has been on my radar for many years & I've actually gone as far as contacting the only local driller. He's been around a long time & didn't seem to be interested in answering my questions. Guess maybe I should give him another chance. Don't have any close neighbors with a well, to my knowledge....

Using your formula, I doubt I have enough watershed, however I have a creek that runs in through the spillway. Problem is, it only runs during runoff rain, but carries a lot of water when it runs.

My 6A is in the hills above the Kansas River & I have groundwater very close to the surface (vegetation is always green in these areas), but I don't have any idea how much...

Yeah, DW might frown om my retired azz (she works) drilling a $10K dry hole....

Couple pic of creek running through spillway....

Lunker
Lunker
I take it you are on rural water for your home, then? Hate to see your pond dry up to nothing! What are your plans if a well is out of the cards? Will you deepen and start again?

H
OP Offline
H
I take it you are on rural water for your home, then? Hate to see your pond dry up to nothing! What are your plans if a well is out of the cards? Will you deepen and start again?

I'm on city water due to a section of city supply main that runs down my street. Live in the county though...... Most folks around me have rural water.

I'm truly torn with the future of my pond. As you can see, it's a nice addition to my home when full & an eyesore when low..... Guess there's really only two options, drill a well or fill it in & call it a day. Hate to eliminate the idea of a well until I can have someone come out & take a look. I'm guessing my local driller has a huge backlog with the drought..

Doesn't appear to be silted in real bad for being 25 years old.

Lunker
Lunker
If you don't punch a well doesn't mean you can't add some depth and remove the silt and hope for more seasonal precipitation. Long range forecasts say we should return to normal patterns over the next three years...if you believe in that stuff. I'm hopeful, anyway.

Remember, adding depth buys you a few more months during a drought...food for thought. Please keep us in the loop regarding your plans. I know some Nebraska well drillers...depending on how far South you are, I may be able to help you. I'm sure willing to in any manner I can...just holler!

I helped out a good friend of mine who is a well driller here in Indiana for a while and I talk to him several times about puting a well in for my pond. I will tell you this. You can't go by what your neighbors wells are at. It can change one place to the next here. Don't know if its because of the lay of the land or what??? I was wondering about one of the drive your own wells in and he told me it would probably be a waist of money. I do have a guy at work 3 miles south of me that put a well in a well for his house and he doesn't even need a pump to get the water to the pond it has a really good flow naturaly. And sorry to see your pond that low. I'm 3' plus but, after seeing your pictures I will start thanking my lucky stars.

Last edited by Frozengator; 11/08/12 01:12 AM.
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Frozengator
I helped out a good friend of mine who is a well driller here in Indiana for a while and I talk to him several times about puting a well in for my pond. I will tell you this. You can't go by what your neighbors wells are at. It can change one place to the next here. Don't know if its because of the lay of the land or what??? I was wondering about one of the drive your own wells in and he told me it would probably be a waist of money. I do have a guy at work 3 miles south of me that put a well in a well for his house and he doesn't even need a pump to get the water to the pond it has a really good flow naturaly. And sorry to see your pond that low. I'm 3' plus but, after seeing your pictures I will start thanking my lucky stars.

Thanks Frozengator! I hear ya on the well variation thing.... I'm up in the hill ground above the Kansas River & I'm sure there's a world of difference in groundwater just on my 6A. I've located a nearby driller that's supposed stop by & take a look at the lay of the land. I know there are no guarantees when drilling a well, but I'd still like to have an expert's opinion before spending that kind of money.

H
OP Offline
H
If you don't punch a well doesn't mean you can't add some depth and remove the silt and hope for more seasonal precipitation. Long range forecasts say we should return to normal patterns over the next three years...if you believe in that stuff. I'm hopeful, anyway.

Remember, adding depth buys you a few more months during a drought...food for thought. Please keep us in the loop regarding your plans. I know some Nebraska well drillers...depending on how far South you are, I may be able to help you. I'm sure willing to in any manner I can...just holler!

Thanks so much teehjaeh57! I know I should be more knowledgeable about ponds, having owned one now for 25 years, but my pond has remained full or partially full until this drought came along, so I never considered a well. I must say folks like yourself here on PB have offered a great deal of information on overall pond construction & management.

I've enlisted a driller's help from a nearby city. He's supposed to stop by & take a look soon. I also have a dirt guy coming to look at possibly recoring my dam that has weeped since the pond was built & digging it out some also. Only leaks when the pond is completely full. Obviously it will need to be fixed before drilling a well......

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If it only leaks when the pond is full, does it need to be recored?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
If it only leaks when the pond is full, does it need to be recored?

Recoring was suggested on PB...... What other solution should I consider? I know there's liners & chemicals........

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I consider redoing an entire dam a pretty drastic step.

I've just looked at your previous posts. It seems to me that if the pond, now lower because of drought, is not currently leaking, your problem is not at the core.

I think I would try to find the porous spot that is allowing water to escape into the dam. Just recoring without figuring out why it only leaks at a certain level wouldn't, IMO, fix anything. Admittedly, the weight of the water does build increased pressure.

To me, a pond is nothing more than a container of water built of somewhat porous material. Water always looks for a place to escape impounding at the place of least resistance. If it were a bucket with a hole near the top, it would leak out the hole and run down the sides to the bottom. Redoing the bottom of the bucket wouldn't help.

You stated in a previous post that you have only clay; no rocks or sand. It is my opinion(and I could certainly be wrong) that you have an area of the dam that is porous. When the water drops below that level, the dam doesn't leak.

That's why it appears to me that recoring wouldn't work. However, to recore, you would have to dig out and redo the whole dam. Why not figure out the level that it stops leaking and look at the entire area just above that level and fix that? You might find that one area is porous and it extends down through the core. There's no real way to tell that.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
H
OP Offline
H
I consider redoing an entire dam a pretty drastic step.

I've just looked at your previous posts. It seems to me that if the pond, now lower because of drought, is not currently leaking, your problem is not at the core.

I think I would try to find the porous spot that is allowing water to escape into the dam. Just recoring without figuring out why it only leaks at a certain level wouldn't, IMO, fix anything. Admittedly, the weight of the water does build increased pressure.

To me, a pond is nothing more than a container of water built of somewhat porous material. Water always looks for a place to escape impounding at the place of least resistance. If it were a bucket with a hole near the top, it would leak out the hole and run down the sides to the bottom. Redoing the bottom of the bucket wouldn't help.

You stated in a previous post that you have only clay; no rocks or sand. It is my opinion(and I could certainly be wrong) that you have an area of the dam that is porous. When the water drops below that level, the dam doesn't leak.

That's why it appears to me that recoring wouldn't work. However, to recore, you would have to dig out and redo the whole dam. Why not figure out the level that it stops leaking and look at the entire area just above that level and fix that? You might find that one area is porous and it extends down through the core. There's no real way to tell that.

Thanks Dave! I agree that recoring the entire dam isn't necessary. You've confirmed my (inexperienced)thinking that I've had all along. While it's true that there was no rock or sand involved with the construction, I remain puzzled as to why it's leaking in this part of the dam.There was a tremendous amount of black dirt available (topsoil from the hills above the pond)& it's possible the builder didn't use enough clay in the area that's leaking. The leak is located about 2- 3' below the top of the dam in an area approximately 4'W x 100'L. As you've stated, repairing the porous section is where I need to focus my attention......

Probably should mention that they buried some of the trees they removed during construction, behind the dam. If you look closely at the first pic I posted (of the full pond), you'll see a slight dip in the center of the dam where they buried the trees. The actual leak is to the left side of that dip though......

Last edited by Handsome54; 11/10/12 11:18 AM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
If they buried them behind the dam they shouldn't be an issue.

One other thing. Although now might look like a good time to dig that area out, it might not be. The soil to be packed has to have some moisture to make it pack properly. During the summer, in my arid area, we often can't build ponds. The best mixture is about 60 percent clay and the rest dirt. And, it should be mixed in some way; especially when packing and rebuilding. 100% clay cracks when it is dry and can actually not seal quickly enough.

H
OP Offline
H
If they buried them behind the dam they shouldn't be an issue.

One other thing. Although now might look like a good time to dig that area out, it might not be. The soil to be packed has to have some moisture to make it pack properly. During the summer, in my arid area, we often can't build ponds. The best mixture is about 60 percent clay and the rest dirt. And, it should be mixed in some way; especially when packing and rebuilding. 100% clay cracks when it is dry and can actually not seal quickly enough.

Good to know the trees (buried behind the dam) aren't an issue. I was concerned they might be a part of my problem....

Would you suggest waiting until we're no longer in a drought situation to attempt this fix? We're nearly 12" behind in moisture for this year, 2011 was almost as bad............. Also, by what means should the dirt/clay be mixed when repacking?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yes, I'd wait for moisture.

Most dozer operators know how to mix different types of dirt. It's not scientific. They just start putting different stuff together with a blade. Kinda like stirring it around.

H
OP Offline
H

I've got a good dirt man, but he recently retired, so I'll have to bribe him to get him over here..... Don't sound like I need to be in a hurry....... Got a driller coming tomorrow to take a look at things..... Couple wells around me are pumping 2 & 3 GPM, but in this hill ground it varies greatly.

S
S
I have a large pond in Noble Oklahoma, 75 years old, about an acre, with a large dam, about 30 feet high, deepest spot in pond about 25 feet. Pond is now almost totally dry, had a fish kill about 2 years ago due to drought. Anyone experiencing this, and what have you done to correct?

J
J
Originally Posted By: Sandy0000
I have a large pond in Noble Oklahoma, 75 years old, about an acre, with a large dam, about 30 feet high, deepest spot in pond about 25 feet. Pond is now almost totally dry, had a fish kill about 2 years ago due to drought. Anyone experiencing this, and what have you done to correct?

Answered your question in your own thread.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Zep - 04/25/24 10:36 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/24/24 03:39 PM