Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985
18,501 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,962
Members18,501
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
7 members (FishinRod, Fishingadventure, 4CornersPuddle, Bigtrh24, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, Ponderific2024), 1,109 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#260885 06/02/11 03:08 PM
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
After using a simple 1/8 oz unpainted jig head with a white curly tail grub nearly every weekend over the past 4 months on our ponds, I have decided to name it my "Lure of the Year". Here are the reasons - 1)It is a crappie and panfish killer. They always seem willing to bite on these 2) It catches a variety of types of fish. In addition to hundreds of crappie and bluegill, I caught 4 large catfish this year and many bass. 3) While small, it catches big fish. This past weekend I caught a 10 lb CC - my largest ever out of my ponds, and a 7 pound LMB, my largest bass ever, both on this lure. I subscribe to "big lure, big fish" generally, but this lure has changed that thinking somewhat. 4) It is cheap. Even if you go with the branded power bait grubs these still run about 40 cents each.

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
Lunker
Lunker
How do you use it? Slow/fast/smooth/jerky etc?

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Being somewhat less than young, I've been trying to outsmart fish for over 60 years. Much of my direct early fishing training stretches back two generations, to the late 1800s.

For me, going back at least 45 years, I came to the realization that fish somehow communicate over fairly long distances -- maybe up to a half mile. They also learn real fast. They somehow communicate to other fish that certain colors, textures, sounds, smells/tastes, and other "behaviors", etc., are something that should be avoided, no matter how tempting. About the only exception may be live bait.

From years of experience, it seems that any new lure/bait, except maybe for live bait, may work great for a while. The fish will become conditioned, and it will become ineffective.

It really comes down to constant change -- or natural/live bait.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
I like little jigheads with curly tail grubs and other small plastics. The biggest issue I face is they snag badly in weedy ponds.

D
D
I read a tip saying to put a piece of cotton in a tube bait and soak some attractant in the cotton. that way when the fish hit at it, it releases a burts of " flavor". thats suppose to drive them crazy.

I make my own attractant, so I been dieing to try this

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I soaked some small jigs and grubs in fish oil vitamins. The BG avoided it.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Originally Posted By: Bullhead
How do you use it? Slow/fast/smooth/jerky etc?

I retrieve the jigs extremely slow. I tell my kids and guests that if they think they are reeling slow enough to go even slower than that. The characteristic strike is more of a slight tensioning of the line and bending of the rod then a firm strike. I caught everything mentioned above on an ultralight rod with a small open face spinning reel and 4 lb test. Of the 4 catfish I caught on this rig, 2 of them broke the line just at the shoreline.

"Our Life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, Simplify" -Henry David Thoreau -
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
A black or white curly tail grub is always a good go-to lure. We've caught several nice fish with them. In our pond however the sonic rooster tail has probably caught the most fish.

I use all of my lures in a jerky fashion but perhaps that is just me. laugh

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
I came to the realization that fish somehow communicate over fairly long distances -- maybe up to a half mile. They also learn real fast. They somehow communicate to other fish that certain colors, textures, sounds, smells/tastes, and other "behaviors", etc., are something that should be avoided

I've often thought the same thing, but luckily, someone always doesn't get the word. smile

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
C
For the last few years I have purchased bulk plastics from alluringbaits.com to save myself the pain and pricing of local retailers like walmart offering 6-8 senko style other soft plastics baits for up to $5 a bag. This year I purchased 25 watermelon/pearl flukes for $5 along with my usual 100 bulk senko style plastics. What I wasnt expecting was the outrageous number of fish I would catch on this brand of flukes. From early spring to now, I have caught obscene numbers of largemouth and BC and cant keep enough of these flukes in my tacklebag. Ive used flukes before but these have an action to them that the Zoom's etc dont have, and they have a hook slot. Matched with a 3.0 or 4.0 weighted gammy to get a unique tail wiggle on the fall, they are devastating. And they are salt impregnated. My lure of the year!

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
I tried the Walmart Senko knockoffs a brand called "It's the Same Thing". Unfortunately, it is definitely not the same thing. Different texture and weight and definitely not as effective at catching fish.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Also my favorite, most used lure.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
C
You are right about the knock-offs Captain. They cant hold a candle to a real Senko. Ive tried a lot of other brands and the alluringbaits are the best quality and for a great price, but still doesnt matchup to the original. Tougher and not quite as heavy. Lots of salt, a hook slot and great color for hand poured baits. Walmart in SC sells Strike King brand sticks, they used to sell Kinami and they were the closest to Yammamoto's i could find, but they quit carrying them and were overpriced anyways.

C
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
C
Our ranch and ponds are within about 2 miles of a Yamamoto retail store. Gary Yamamoto actually raises Wagyu Beef (Kobe) beef in our county. That's the stuff you buy for $15 an ounce at your favorite steak restaurants.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:15 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Bill Cody - 04/25/24 08:09 PM
New pond leaking to new house 60 ft away
by JabariStokes - 04/25/24 07:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM