Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
KWL, Homestead 101, Willy Wonka, gautprod, JRM
18,493 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,956
Posts557,908
Members18,494
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,531
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 536 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#177047 08/03/09 08:15 PM
loretta Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I'm not sure what section to post this in. I'm thinking about draining my pond and having the edge redone with stones. The contractor that I talked to said the stones will eventually slide inwards and I will have to periodically add more. I don't think my slope is that steep but I'm getting the edges redone anyway, will my stones disappear into the pond? For those who have stones around their pond, do you have a fabric under them? Any thoughts on whether or not I should use fabric?

I saw a stone thrower in the archives but I don't think they are available in my area (I wish).

I'm also posting another question about draining my pond in the renovation section.

Any advice is appreciated. TIA

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
I am in MI and I am adding 1/2" to 4" stone around my pond slowly. The edges of my pond are pure clay and I am not worried about the stone disappearing. I will have to spray Roundup on them to keep the weeds at bay.

I did not use a liner underneath. I got the stone free and did not want to add the expense and PIA of using a liner. If you use a liner, the weeds will be less (they grow everywhere eventually) but the stone will be much more likely to slide into the pond since you can't jam them in the clay like I have. This is the first year for the stone, so I will see how it turns out. For now it looks fantastic

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Where are the pics rex? \:\)

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I have two ponds, one grass and the other rock. If I could do it over I would not have used the rock. They did slide into the water and not uniformly. Some areas they slide from the top some from the middle. I was easily able to replace the top sliding areas, but those areas where the part was somewhere between top and bottom were very difficult. I have ridden rocks into the water.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Is it safe to use Roundup along the edges of a pond? Or maybe 1/3 sections at a time? I'd hate to have to wade in and pull all the reeds growing on the North, East and West side of the pond. The South side has very little vegetation. Wonder why???

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Are you saying that you want a bed of gravel all the way around the pond or more of big pieces of flagstone creating a decorative edge. I could be wrong but which kind of stone you are going for may make a big difference.

V
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
V
We used fabric for lining a swale that we placed rock into. In less than a year there was enough dirt in the swale for new weeds to take hold in. Now we have weeds that come up through the gaps in the rock. They are easier to pull out because they are lightly rooted on top of the fabric, but still a pain. I would think the deeper you make the rocks (and if you use smaller rocks) the less likely you would be to get weeds with or without the fabric.

Lunker
Lunker
 Originally Posted By: hang_loose
Is it safe to use Roundup along the edges of a pond? Or maybe 1/3 sections at a time? I'd hate to have to wade in and pull all the reeds growing on the North, East and West side of the pond. The South side has very little vegetation. Wonder why???

Roundup is generally considered a No-No at ponds, due to negative affects on some aquatic animals. But there are herbicides which are OK to use there (Rodeo, IIRC.) Check the Controlling Unwanted Plants section for info.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
loretta Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thank you all for responding.

To better explain: I want a bed of gravel all the way around my pond, I hope to cut down on chemicals. Pulling weeds out of my pond took a lot of dirt with them and messed up the sides.

I don't know what kind or size of stone I should get. Would a larger stone slide more or less? How many inches (deep)of stones do you think it will take to cut down on weeds? My only concern I have about the rocks is if my dogs will be able to walk on them.

When my pond is re-dug, could the pond sides be "cut in" at the end of the rock area (underwater) to hold them there?

How deep in should the rocks go? If I could afford it I would put stones or rocks everywhere the water was 5' deep or less, then my dogs couldn't stir up the bottom. \:\)

Do they place the rocks with a bulldozer? If so, will the bulldozer help pack the stones?

Victor, your swale is nice! Thanks for posting the picture.

R
Lunker
Lunker
R
My pond has very steep sides along the back bank and I probably will not stone that portion, its easy to mow. The front 2/3 of the pond has an easier slope along the top and I do not anticipate any rocks sliding into the pond. Any that do just become fish habitat and dont bother me.

Weissguy I will get some pics once it is done, I am only halfway right now.

H
Lunker
Lunker
H
Theo Gallus, (aka LEPOMIS), Thanks for your reply. I'm not really a fan of strong chemicals. We've used it around fence lines and the middle of the driveway. My fish are growing good with lots of fry in the shallows. But the catails are sneaking in.

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
In my limited experience the rocks/stones do not stop weed growth, in fact, they may make control a lot more difficult. Plants will grow anywhere they can reach water and/or dirt.

If you go with stone, a shelf to start as a base will help the slumping, start with a row of large ones. I would suggest making it twice as wide as you think necessary. I started mine at three feet deep and made it three feet wide.

Alternately, you might look at grasses or other types of ground cover that will compete well with what weeds you have. One key to weed control is to cut them back before they seed, slow, but effective.

Pursue the question about how you are going to put the stone in place, my pond is small and it was a large project.

Some one here used a fabric cover to hold the erosion down and help with the grass/ground cover start up, Cecil? Burlap, I think. If you are redoing you pond you might be able to plant low and before it refills.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam
loretta Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thank you Rad. I'm hoping I can get someone to re-dig my pond and place the stones. I do wonder how they do it. I spoke with one contractor so far and I was asked a lot of questions about my preferences that I didn't have the answers to, the reason I'm posting.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
I have stone around half of my pond, in clay without a liner. The sloop is not steep, so there is no problem with sliding. They have been in place for 9 years, and still look good. I need to refresh some areas with additional stone, where they have started to bury themselves. Three or four times each warm season I spray Touchdown Pro (an aquatic form of Roundup)on the rocks to keep most weeds at bay.

W
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
W
Fantastic place you have there Schroeder!

12 ac pond in NW Missouri. 28' max depth at full pool. Fish Present: LMB, BG, RES, YP, CC, WB, HSB, WE, BCP, WCP, GSH.
loretta Offline OP
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Looks good Schroeder! How deep are your stones?

Last edited by loretta; 08/05/09 03:01 PM.

R
Rad Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Schroeder,
That is a beautiful pond.

Loretta, if that is a look you want, I am thinking a contractor could do the whole thing, that gentle slope looks like it would accommodate a skip loader or other piece of equipment to place the stone.

Dwight Yoakam
A
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Beautifully landscaped pond Schroeder.

S
Lunker
Lunker
S
 Originally Posted By: loretta
Looks good Schroeder! How deep are your stones?

Thanks everyone for the kind words. I've been pinching myself every day for the two years I've lived here, just to make sure its real.

The stones actually are larger than they appear in the photo. Most are between golfball and hardball size. In most areas it is only one layer thick (3 inches?) but where there is more of a slope, near the house, it is 2 to 3 layers, so maybe 6 inches deep.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
I like the great lakes river rock. I have hauled several hundred tons of the stuff home and used it around the house, barn, pond (pond has a border of hand picked #1s then regular #2s about 3 feet deep) I even top coated my drive with the crushed #8s(no small feat as my drive is .44 miles long)

My Children are always kidding me that I have all my rocks named

Did I mention I did this all with an old Dodge truck and a shovel

"Life is like a box of chocolates"
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Mobetter,that river rock is beautiful!! Here in Texas I've bought some for flower beds, but it's way too expensive to use it the way you did. We end up having to use Caliche shot rock..du

J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
WOW.

You have the most perfectly manicured yard that I've ever seen in a rural location. Beautiful place.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
R
Lunker
Lunker
R
Loretta, There are plenty of slinger trucks around MI. They hauled stone about 45 miles to my place. The slinger trucks do little to no damage to your turf and can place the material much further out than most other equipment. The largest stone they can throw is #2 (about the size of your fist). Angular aggregate (like #2 limestone) is much less likely to slide down than round stone. It's pretty uncomfortable to walk on stone larger than #2. The geotextile fabric helps with weeds but it's primary purpose is to separate the stone from the underlying soil. I've had #2 limestone installed for about 5 years now. I get a few weeds growing in the stone, mainly when the water recedes in warm weather, exposing stone where some silt has accumulated. I think I had approx. 850LF and put it about 5' wide and 5" deep. It ended up taking about 90 tons.

You've probably already seen these but I repost.
Recent picture. You can see the weeds that are typical.

Slinger truck video. The drivers spent more time driving to the pond than placing the stone.

It took two days to haul all the stone. This is how it looked when they left. I only kicked two stray stone out of the yard.

Here's another view with the pond near full.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." Stephen W. Hawking
M
Lunker
Lunker
M
Thanks Jeff,

Here are some other favs from around the place.

"Life is like a box of chocolates"
J
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
J
WOW, for such a little windmill that provides quite a bit of aeration! \:D

Your place looks beautiful.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
island_beam
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Theo!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:35 AM
Happy Birthday Sparkplug!
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:34 AM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by teehjaeh57 - 04/23/24 12:33 AM
Bluegill problem